Shogun

Soldato
Finally caught up on this as i quickly realised its a show that demands all your attention. The acting and direction is next level, but Anna Sawai as Mariko is the highlight of every episode for me, she was in her bag throughout ep9.
Really? I think she's one of the weeker characters. Her entire thing is staring off into space trying to be deep (teenage angst).

She's a great actor, but her character feels one dimensional in this.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
So Shogun is based on a book?

Do not click if you haven't watched the finale
No season 2 planned because that's how the book ended. Surely not? It ended rather abruptly and there no real conclusion on Toranaga other than a supposed outcome in battle. What about the glimpses in Blackthorne's future or of his fate? Regents still pretty powerful even without the support Lady Ochoba. So still a long way to go before he becomes Shogun

Last edited:

D3K

D3K

Soldato
So Shogun is based on a book?

Do not click if you haven't watched the finale
No season 2 planned because that's how the book ended. Surely not? It ended rather abruptly and there no real conclusion on Toranaga other than a supposed outcome in battle. What about the glimpses in Blackthorne's future or of his fate? Regents still pretty powerful even without the support Lady Ochoba. So still a long way to go before he becomes Shogun
This is exactly how the book ended

It’s inferred he never returns home. In his “future” visions he was holding Marikos rosary beads. But he put them in the lake, so that future never really happened.
As Toranaga said to Yabushige, he will keep burning his ships… which effectively keeps him there for the rest of his days.

In the book Toranagas chess playing was much more decisive, based on having access to their thoughts in the narrative. Ultimately it was 100% going his way because of ishidos mistake in killing Mariko and then not having the Taiko’s banner. We didn’t need to see him become Shogun, it was a given. But yeah, i felt kinda deflated that was where it ended in the book as well, so i get where you’re coming from

Soldato
what a series!, i may have to watch it again in shorter succession next time mind as being a naive westerner a weekly schedule made it hard to keep up with who was who at times. I cant say i was massively blown away by the acting, the chap playing Kashigi and a few others came across like a stereotypical 80's Japanese characters at times with the grunting, that and John Blackthorn at times the others did well.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
We finished it last night. I thought the whole thing was great and so did my wife. I presume they can leave it as is or make more, since I believe there are more books that cover Blackthorne's character?

Back
Top Bottom