1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should women's sports have separate websites on BBC Sport, Sky News, etc.?

Discussion in 'Sports Arena' started by Participant, Feb 22, 2019.

1. omnomnom

Soldato

2. Participant

Caporegime

Front page of BBC Sport is plastered with the Women's Football World Cup at the moment :(.

Here's a good one showing a suitable number of empty seats ;) along with three other articles that almost nobody cares about but that we're all forced to pretend we do.

[​IMG]

Non sequitur much? ;)

3. cheesyboy

Capodecina

When the county cricket scores are one of the top articles, you know it's a slow sports-news day. It's entirely appropriate that the Women's World Cup is getting a few slots.

4. silk186

Associate

That sounds like segregating and hiding female sports.

There should be a tab and tag for female sports and they should have some presence on the front page, though it does not need to be half.
    Women are pretty popular to watch in swimming, volleyball, tennis, golf and many other sports.
    I personally think they have fewer viewers because women's sports have less coverage and marketing.

5. Thekwango

Capodecina

aye, very few people give a flying **** about somerset losing davies (he probably ****** off to play the more fun version of rounders) rain ruining a game of rounders or the warriors edging the raptors in a game of bouncy ball

6. The Darkness

Hitman

I think they have fewer viewers because people like to watch people at the top of the game. Perhaps it's not pc to say but for many sports men have a physiological advantage and so are faster/stronger and so it simply looks more exciting.

For sport where strength/speed aren't important (snooker for example) I have no problem watching woman compete. But I won't watch woman's football, cricket etc because it's just not at the same level as the mens game and therefore, to me, not as exciting. Your mileage may well differ.

7. BlueMerle

Gangster

"At the moment" being the key phrase there. :D ;)

8. wesimmo

Wise Guy

I have no issue with women's sports being given equal billing on the general sports pages, the interest will only grow with more exposure.

Though I do wish, for example on the BBC site, they would split their pages to Men's Football and Women's Football so when you're scrolling down the Sports home page you can see which the story relates to before you click through.

9. jpaul

Soldato

That seems completely the wrong PC message - female spectator for the Swedish team (I guess the LGBT rainbow is standard on the shirts),
    or is the BBC adopting reverse psychology .. not a swedish male in the viking kit.

10. Amp34

Caporegime

Agreed. But let’s make it fair. Remove lol football form the main sports page.

11. jpaul

Soldato

12. danlightbulb

Wise Guy

Womens world cup has been excellent to watch. Many games ive seen have been much more exciting than than the mens game - more end to end and more goals.

13. jpaul

Soldato

If you think the BBC have been disproportionate with their reporting of the world cup check out Charlie Hebdos satitical cartoon. - an own goal, one might say

14. The_Abyss

Capodecina

If you really want to see empty seats then there's an article on county cricket showing on the sport homepage.

15. jpaul

Soldato

16. Participant

Caporegime

GO LIONESSES!

17. ninezerofive

Gangster

Quite Contrary, I would like to know about "Legends Football League" news as soon as I open BBC webpage.

But rest of the sports, sure, hide them under knittingandsewing.co.uk

18. Participant

Caporegime

19. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

I think some womens sports can be better from a tactical view point than the mens game.

Though in some of the sports the standard isn't as good.

20. Kelt

Sgarrista

Women's sport holds zero appeal for me, it's not even second class to men's sport, more like tenth class.

Each to their own obviously, if you get enjoyment from watching it, all well and good.

Personally, my viewing time is limited so I strive to watch the best in sport so that leaves women's sport out.