Should women's sports have separate websites on BBC Sport, Sky News, etc.?

Man of Honour
I think this debate is less relevant nowadays because news outlets are getting more customisable. The days of simply reading what you are presented with are fading, you can now (dependent on appropriate tagging of course) get a more personalised experience.
I imagine there would be some sort of backlash anyway from such a decision which could present a PR nightmare for anyone going down that route.

Soldato
The dissenters need to use the new UblockOrigin genderadd block customisation - you can always whitelist beach volleyball
but for the rest the Giro Rose coverage on Utbube is as enjoyable as TDF ... Vos vs VanKleuten

Soldato
Just wondering whether people think tiny-wienered men whining about women should be moved onto separate dedicated websites, rather than intermingled with normal functioning human beings articles?

This will allow all those people eager to find articles about tiny-wienered men whining about women to find them very easily, rather than having to sift through a load of normal functioning human being articles.

Soldato
https://www.france24.com/en/2019080...first-woman-win-transcontinental-cycling-race

German paediatric cancer researcher Fiona Kolbinger, 24, has won the Transcontinental Race, becoming the first woman to do so after cycling nearly 4,000km from Bulgaria to France unassisted in just 10 days, two hours and 48 minutes.

Kolbinger rolled into Brest, in northwestern France’s picturesque Brittany region, at 7:48am on Tuesday after pressing on through the night to the finish. She beat a field of 263 competitors, all but 40 of whom were men.

Riding a Canyon Endurace with Di2 shifters on the aerobars (which also makes her the first to win the Transcon on a carbon bike) and a relatively sparse kit ensemble considering the length of the race - often photographed riding with inner tubes draped around her shoulder to save kit bag space - Kolbinger's Strava uploads reveal an average distance of around 400km a day. She reportedly managed on around four hours sleep a night, and her time in the saddle ranged from 15 up to almost 18 hours. The biggest effort came on day four, where she covered 475km at a staggering average speed of 26.9km/h.

Caporegime
Just wondering whether people think women's sports should be moved onto separate dedicated websites, rather than intermingled with men's sports articles?

This will allow all those people eager to find articles about women's sports to find them very easily, rather than having to sift through a load of male sports articles.
probably but then they would likely get almost 0 views without the attention of the male sport shining on them

They probably get a very disproportionate amount of media coverage considering the fanbase their sports have is likely a handful of people

look at some football clubs like Newcastle united they usually manage to get pretty close to capacity on match days, yet if you look on youtube for newcastle united it's just a few podcasts with barely any views like a few hundred.

I can imagine some of these articles about womens sports getting 0 clicks

fez

fez

Caporegime
There isn't a right answer. Do I give a single **** about womens sports? No. I watch sport at the highest level to see the best in the world compete and that is almost always men.

Should the BBC be promoting womens sport? Yes, of course they should. It will never be as good as mens sport but until there is more of an audience and more participation it really will lag behind mens sport.

This is why its hard to decide how to treat womens sport. It doesn't make any money in most cases but thats probably because it hasn't even been professional up until recently in most sports. There are still plenty of sports that have 0 money in them for the mens and womens side of things. I think that in order for things to change for the better we do need to expose people to the news and updates from the womens game. Its annoying because it doesn't really apply to me when I go to the BBC website but its not exactly a hardship to find what I am looking for.

I had a look at the womens CL final and the engagement from fans was tiny. About 10 thumbs up/down for a comment just after the match was finished on the live text. That would have had tens of thousands on the mens CL final.

Caporegime
Just wondering whether people think tiny-wienered men whining about women should be moved onto separate dedicated websites, rather than intermingled with normal functioning human beings articles?

This will allow all those people eager to find articles about tiny-wienered men whining about women to find them very easily, rather than having to sift through a load of normal functioning human being articles.

What size are we talking for tiny? Asking for a friend.

Associate
Seems to be a lot of confusion in here about women sport in general and football.

If you're entire sporting experience is football and nothing else then, fair enough, you have a point. You also have to recognise the utter gayness of your major heroes having the ability to roll around on a field like they were shot by a sniper at the merest brush of air though which puts a lot of people off men's sport.

But as a general sports fan then is a tonne of women's sports out there that's great to watch and is carried out at the highest level of ability.

Caporegime
OP
Lol at all the attempted hype around the women's Euro 2022 tournament. Even their 'wow' goals involve them falling over like a toddler learning to walk.

I know this will appear as misogynistic but there seriously needs to be separate sections; my eyes now have to work out which articles are worth reading / not. The BBC sport front page is bordering on clickbait sometimes when they deliberately obfuscate the gender of the sport in the article to make you click it before you find out.

Soldato
Bill Burr makes some brilliant points on this in his latest show.

I was just about to post this.

He goes onto to say the low interest/spectator numbers in women's sport, compared to men's, is being blamed on men and asks how it's men's fault - why aren't more women watching it e.g..football?...

Surely low spectator numbers to watching female sports can be attributed to women not being interested in it...

They are more interested in shows where the women attack/are bitchy towards each other e.g. Kardashians than where women work together for a common goal (no pun intended)

Soldato
Hasn't triathlon organisation now said there will be an allcomers (trans ...) category, so there will need to be a new channel.

I'm all footballed out with the broadcast time bbc has dedicated to it

BBC spending tax payer money on better things - original content, of wall to wall football in concert with wimbledon, how many hours a week do people want/bare to watch them
or it is just a captive audience who don't like/afford the netflix alternatives.

I'd be just as uninterested if it was male football, apparently

Key Findings:

• If women’s football is easily accessible on TV, the viewership could increase by 300%-350%.
  • 34.4% of UK male fans willing to watch if the leagues are on TV; as opposed to 27.1% of UK women fans.
  • UK male football fans form 61.9% viewership of women’s football leagues in the country.
  • In the US, the viewership is equally divided between two genders and in the EU, female fans form the majority of viewers.

Soldato
Personally I haven't watched a single minute of the women's euro's as it just doesn't interest me one iota due to the standard on display being sunday league level at best (in my opinion) - I'm not the only one either as I believe the viewing figures are approx a quarter of the men's euro tournament.

Back
Top Bottom