Out with the old and in with the new…

ZDQRXWW.jpg

ZDQRXWW.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
imac1.jpg

and

imac2.jpg

What can I say.. I developed an interest in iMacs in last week... First the early 2009 20" (bottom pic, RHS) and then the 2010 21.5" (which is going back as screen yellowed) and finally the late 2009 21.5" which is lovely... Just confirming the Ram upgrade is fine before I upgrade with 500GB SSD and Catalina

Still got a hankering for a quad core Alu iMac (not the slim ones) or maybe more of the dual cores for Linux etc too

Soldato
I'm temporarily using a 6 core i7 Mac Mini that I normally use as a server, as my iMac Pro is busy churning through some exchange databases.

Quite surprised at how nice the Mini feels to use - although on the LG 5K screen I've plugged it into it felt quite laggy, so I've now put it through a Blackmagic eGPU.

Doesn't half run hot though! Even when it's not doing much it's constantly at 75 degs+. Run anything slightly demanding and it's 90deg+ immediately.

I'm curious in broad strokes how you work with exchange on the Mac and what you are processing. I've only ever used in it as admin in Windows servers on prem and I can see us moving to the cloud with it. You never hear or read much about Macs as servers.

Soldato
My Mini units are virtual hosts. I've a couple of i7 64GB units running Parallels and VMWare Fusion. I then have some build sets that include things like AD, Skype, Exchange, some clients etc. It's mainly so I can stand up specific environments to do certain pieces of work. They also do some other automated stuff - like folders that I can drop video files in and it churns them out the other end in my preferred format, some stuff that automatically gets replicated to some SFTP servers etc.

I find that for small units they're incredibly capable for virtualisation. Nothing you can't do with Windows boxes though - probably cheaper - I just like working with them.

Associate
tower.jpg

My tower of power - recent purchase 2GHz Mini 3,1, a 1.42GHz 1,1 G4 (described as a 2.26 GHz 3,1!!!) and my old 1.5GHz 1,1 G4 with matching external HDD enclosure formatting a 500Gb drive. The 1.42 GHz will be sold as only need one G4 PPC Mac.

All need a clean though :)

Associate
What do you use your gleaming tower of G4 for?

For the photo... One G4 being sold, one C2D will be a general office machine and the better G4, the rarer 1.5 GHz model, will be for MorphOS (Amiga-style OS) mainly

Do the optical drives work? I've got one of that style and it packed up ages ago. I also replaced the HDD with an SSD.

The newest one is C2D and drive is knackered (or was sold like that). I managed to fix it to insert/eject but its not reading. New drive time if I can be bothered or a 2nd SSD

Associate
Got my Macbook today even though I didn't expect it till after Xmas. So just spent the afternoon just geeking out and decided I wanted a super huge macOS multiple display setup (only for Lulz). Sorry for the terrible pics.
YCqrBa.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom