Show Off Your Dish (Picture Thread) (Rules added)

CAKE001.jpg

CAKE002.jpg

Carrot Cake (Lorraine Pascals Recipe)

Made these for two friends birthdays. The ingredients below are for a three-tier cake; I reduced them by a third as I couldn't bring myself to pour almost a whole pint (!) of veg oil out. Plus two tiers is plenty - each cake serves about 15 people.

Ingredients
525ml (18½ fl oz) vegetable oil
9 eggs, lightly beaten
525g (1lb 3oz) soft dark brown sugar
420g (15oz) carrots, peeled and grated
Grated zest of 3 large oranges
525g (1lb 3oz) self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp bicarbonate of soda
1½ tbsp mixed spice
Seeds of 1 vanilla pod or 2 drops vanilla extract
For the cream cheese frosting:
200g (7oz) icing sugar
40g (1½ oz) butter, cubed
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
Seeds of ½ vanilla pod or 1 drop vanilla extract
115g (4¼ oz) low-fat (read full fat :P) cream cheese, chilled
Handful of pecans or walnuts, toasted to decorate
You will also need:

Three x 23cm (9in) round tins

Preheat the oven to 180ºC (325ºF, gas mark 4). Prepare the tins by oiling the insides and lining the bases with baking paper.
Put the oil, eggs, sugar, carrots and orange zest in a large bowl and mix with a wooden spoon. If you’re making all three tiers, you may have to do

this in batches. Mix the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and mixed spice together, then sift into the bowl. Add the vanilla and lightly mix everything

together until the mixture is uniform but still soft and runny.
Ladle into the prepared tins and bake in the oven for 40–45 minutes. Ovens vary so have a peek after 30 mins to see how the cakes are getting on.

The cakes are ready when the sponge springs back up if pushed lightly. A skewer inserted into the middle should come out clean.
Leave to cool for 5 mins or so, then turn out onto a wire rack and peel off the paper.
For the cream cheese frosting, mix the icing sugar, butter, lemon zest and vanilla together in a bowl, then whisk well to combine. Stir in the cream

cheese. If the mixture looks too runny, put it in the fridge for 10–12 mins to harden up. When the cakes are cool, take two of them and use a large,

sharp knife to slice off the domed tops, leaving them completely flat. Don’t slice the top off the third cake.
Put a dollop of frosting in the middle of a serving plate or stand to stop the cake from sliding. Take one of the flattened cakes and place it on top.

Then pop a big spoonful of frosting onto it and spread all over, leaving a 2.5cm (1in) gap around the edge so that the frosting does not squelch over

too much when you add the next layer. Put the next flattened cake on top and repeat with more frosting. Put the unsliced tier on the top, cover

generously with frosting and decorate with toasted nuts, if desired.

*I ignored the frosting instructions in this and doubled the frosting quantity. Stuck the layers together then spread the rest over. Decorations made from coloured sugar paste and patience :)

Duck breast with pomegranate and star anise sauce. Yes, I know, two duck breasts for one person. I'm a fatty and I like duck so sue me :p In my defence, there aren't many fried tatties there so I've cut back the carbs :D

yzMyG.jpg

From this recipe. Only slight alterations were I had sauteed cabbage instead of green beans and I bunged some rosemary and thyme in with the fried tatties to liven them up a bit.

When I tasted the sauce for seasoning, I was shocked by how sweet it was but it works ok with the duck - duck is able to handle sweet sauces. Even though it was pretty good, it was still a little sweet for my liking so, next time, I think I'll have a bit less honey and perhaps a splash of red wine vinegar or something in the sauce to take some of the sweet edge off it if it's still too sweet with reduced honey.

Very tasty dish. The star anise gives the sauce a lovely edge.

Crap qaultiy photos but dont have a fancy camera

Lemon cake for after tea tonight with a nice mug of tea

17WWV.jpg

Wish I was having this

MJids.jpg

Cake with jam and cream and cadburys chocolate on top but its for a neighbour :(

God that was nice.
Camarlised onion/mushroom, steak and Stilton pasty with broccoli, asparagus and salad. Thai ginger and chilli salad dressing.

Slightly over cooked the pasty, but still tasted great, made another two pastes up and stuck them in the fridge.

1326747039949.jpg

Lamb shanks with barley, carrots and leeks. Recipe from one of those Tesco recipe cards I've had for ages and only just got around to making it.
Very nice indeed and extremely filling - one would have been plenty tbh :o

JGrT4.jpg

Stan - you seriously need to cut down on the portions! Two Duck breasts on the last page, two whole lamb shanks on this one! Half of each would do me, and I'm 13.5stone & 6"2!

Back
Top Bottom