Show Off Your Dish (Picture Thread) (Rules added)

Associate
Very nice indeed, you should do flat breads on the BBQ, so so much tastier.

And what's with the chips.

I was thinking the same. Looks lovely - except for the barely cooked frozen chips. i wouldn't have had them in it :)

Thanks, it looked and tasted lovely.

Don't knock the chips until you try :) but i have to admit they should have been left in longer.
Agree on the flat bread too but if you notice the gf decided that flat bread and fajita wraps is all the same when she was picking them in the shop and i didn't want to risk burning the paper thin wraps. I felt like they would turn into frisbees...

And apparent lack of chilli sauce.

There is no chili sauce because there is more than enough chili in the kofta itself ;)

Soldato
So day off yesterday and was looking after the kids all day so what better thing to do than get them making Kebabs ready for a BBQ lunch :)
kebab.jpg

Veg Kebabs consisted of Red onion, Red and yellow Peppers, courgette, and Butter nut Squash.
Chicken Kebabs in my home made sticky BBQ sauce.
Rice is Brown Basmati cooked with onion and garlic, then wok fried with egg and a little nut oil. Lets just say there was not much left :D

Soldato
Falafels anyone? Next time I'm going to sesame seed them too.

Made with fresh chickpeas, soaked for 24 hours.

34s3xc5.jpg

I found these went fantastic in a wrap, with indian mint raita.

Associate
Indian style beef mince

GF cooked this tonight:

indian-style-beef-mince.JPG

Very nice, very mild but could easily be made more spicey if you prefer hotter food.

Ingredients: Mince, peas, onion, potatoes, tikka masala paste, turmeric and garlic.

Associate
^^^^I think the secret of making a good kofta kebab is in the sauce.
Here's my recipe for both - Kofta Kebabs and sauce:

for the Kebabs:

500g Lamb mince (i personally prefer it to be coarser)
1 Large onion - fine diced
1 bunch fresh mint
1/2 bunch fresh parsley
pinch paprika
pinch chili flakes
salt to taste
pinch cumin (need to powder this in P&M)
1/2 egg white
hand full bread crumbs
some oil if your mince is too lean

Separate the leaves from the mint stems and finely chop them along with all the parsley.
Mix the meat, spices, bread crumbs and egg white until everything looks evenly distributed, cover with cling film and leave in the fridge for 1-2 hours before putting the mix on skewers and onto the bbq.

They take about 3-4 min to get ready so keep your eye on them.

For the sauce:

500 ml yogurt
soup spoon full of mayonnaise
salt to taste
pinch black pepper
pinch mahlep
pinch cinnamon
1/4 lemon of the juice of 1/2 pomegranate
3-4 garlic cloves

Drain the yogurt from it's excess water. Best way to do it is stuff it into stocking and tie it over the kitchen sink for 3-4 hours. More if you have the time.
Crush the garlic and make it into paste in the p&m.

Mix the yogurt with the spices, garlic, mayo and the lemon (pomegranate) juice until it is smooth, cover with cling film and let it rest for an hour in the fridge.

I stuff the wrap with lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes and chips but you can also use cabbage, onions, or whatever you prefer.

Just make sure you are generous on the sauce :D

That's it. Bon Appetit!

Any idea which cut of lamb they usually use when making Shish Kebab?

Associate
Was at my Dad's over the weekend and we caught some lovely mackerel off the local pier.
We decided to smoke them and ohhh man.. they were outstanding!

20120408114811.jpg

20120408115205.jpg

20120408115318.jpg

20120408115335.jpg

20120408120651.jpg

We used Apple wood to start the smouldering, and then oak chippings for the final smoke. If it got too hot, we sprayed it with a apple juice. You should definitely try it if you have the time and resources.

Soldato
That looks like incredible fun and a really rewarding total experience! :D

I'd love to know more about the process of smoking and how you created your own smoker! :)

Associate
No problem at all.

Things you'll need:

• Tall Metal Container with small perforations at the base
  • Sheet of chicken wire or alternative
  • Fruit wood e.g. apple, cherry etc
  • Oak shavings or beech shavings (there are lots of woods you can use)
  • Spray bottle with water (or a mixture of fruit juice and water)
  • Old clean towel or hessian sack
  • Fresh Fish
  • Brown Sugar and Table Salt

Preparing the Fish

In a large tuppaware container, add about four tablespoons of salt and four tablespoons of brown sugar. Add your fish and coat for entirely and leave for 30 minutes to cure. Once cured, removed onto paper towels and remove excess cure (there will be lots of moisture from fish as the salt draws out moisture).

Making Smoker and Smoking

The metal container above is a oil drum that was washed up on my Dad's local beach. He just used some tin snips around the top and bent the edges down. The remaining contents were emptied and then cleaned thoroughly. A fire was lit initially to burn off any remnants of oil. Any tall metal container would work for this, but it has to be as clear as possible.

The sheet of chicken wire then needs to be shaped to slide into the container. You will then need to cut off some excess metal and then bend hooks at the top. You can then hang the wire sheet inside. It needs to be about 2.5 foot from the bottom, otherwise the fish would get too close and potentially burn.

The rest is pretty easy - light your fruit wood with paper ONLY. Don't use any accelerates, as it will impart a horrible toxic taste into the fish. As you do with a BBQ, let the fire calm down into embers and then throw on your wood shavings. This will then create a thick dense smoke.

Lower your fish into the container and then cover with an old clean wet towel or hessian sack. It needs to be thoroughly damp, as it traps the smoke in. Important: The area of the container where the fish is shouldn't be extremely hot. It should be about the heat of a radiator on max, if you touch the side.

The time varies on the fish you are smoking, but for mackerel fillets like above, it should take no more than 30 minutes. Check about every 10 minutes, but only for short periods of time otherwise too much smoke escapes. The fish should easily flake with lifted and should be incredibly moist.

TL;DR

Start fire in container, put fish on rack. Cover and wait 30 minutes.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Fantastic bit of info - thank you for sharing! :)

I'll have to have a nosey around and see what suitable containers I might be able to find - I love smokey flavours and it would be really interesting to see what other foods you could use in the smoker!

Associate
Looks and sounds tasty :)

I have some chicken livers in the freezer and some arborio rice in the cupboard - any chance you could post your recipe and I'll have a bash when I get home from the rig (in 4 weeks time :()?
That's exactly what i used. Chicken liver from the freezer and arborio rice. :)

As far as the recipe goes here's what i do:
What you need:
1 tea cup rice
1 packet frozen livers
1 onion finely diced
oil
200ml white wine
salt
black pepper
parsley
2 chicken stock cubes
Parmesan cheese.

cnwfc.jpg

First off seal the livers in a pan with some oil quickly so they are easier to chop. Once you have done this and taken them out, use the same oil to seal the onions, but put a lid on the pan because you want them soft and not just fried. After they have gone soft and kind of transparent add the rice but do not put the lid on. Frying the rice is not really necessary but i prefer it that way as the grains don't go as mushy. The rice would take about 5-6 min to fry and at this point it will absorb any liquid you had in the pan including oil. This is normal.
When this is done add the wine and another cup of the dissolved stock cubes and let it come to boil. Stir occasionally. Put a lid on it for about 5 min so you can see the rice starting to absorb the liquid and then add the livers.

At this point add some salt and black pepper to taste. After another 3-4 min you can add the parsley and continue to stir periodically.

Depending on how "wet" you like your risotto you may have to add some more water ( or wine :D ) as the rice absorbs the liquids.

Once served on a the plate sprinkle some Parmesan and parsley on top and eat the risotto while it's hot!

Full picture album is here

Enjoy and let me know how it goes :)

Any idea which cut of lamb they usually use when making Shish Kebab?

I actually use pork for the shish kebabs. I like very lean meat myself so i would only use lean cuts.

EDIT: Actually i just saw you quoted the recipe for the kofta kebabs i made. If this is what you were after then i would normally use either a lean shoulder or a leg. Then strip the largest fat bits, get rid of them but mince everything else. Imo the lamb meet needs a bit of fat and that usually disappears while on the barbie, so no problem if you are like me and do not like fat :). hth

Last edited:
Associate
Where did you get the grater from? I suck at grating and I have a cheap one of those but it's garbage, looking at a better one tbh. Also it is any good?

Bought this in Italy but i think i have seen something similar in Wilko's.

Before this one, had a metal one, which was 3 time the price and was rubbish.

This one is ok, it comes with 3 different inserts. The one pictured is the finest one

Back
Top Bottom