Show Off Your Dish (Picture Thread) (Rules added)

Chocolate brownies with chocolate frosting. They taste so so good!

IMG_1196.jpg

IMG_1197.jpg

Triple chocolate shortbread. Messed up the ingredient ratio very slightly but it made a difference, didn't taste as good as I normally make them. Was alright though.

IMG_1201.jpg

Oh man this was amazing! Got to try and resist eating leftovers tomoros brunch at work.

Baked cinnamon meat loaf, with noodles and Tuk trey

scaled.php

Meatloaf
500g mince pork
2 tbsp tuk trey
1&1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground black pepper
2-3 shallots finely diced

Mix all together press into a suitable small roasting trey or loaf tin and bake at 180 for 40 mins. Covered with foil if you don't want it to brown.

Noodles
Thai rice sticks
Bean sprouts
Spring onions
Chilli
Coriander
Tuk trey

Soak noodle in warm water for 10-30mins depending on thickness.
Stir fry the bean sprouts and graphing greens, add. In the drained noodles and stir for another 60 secs.
Take of the heat, stir through the spring onion, chilli and tuk trey.
Just before serving mix through the coriander.

Serve with a wedge of lime.

Last edited:
I'm back with my chugginton plastic table thingy!
And I love the smoke effect! lolz Galaxy S2.
Carbs = leftovers, fried rice and risotto from yesterday.
Frozen veggies as we are out of fresh ones.
Lemon marinated chickens then coated with flour, shallow fried.
xDpghl.jpg

Any purpose to making your own bread?

Because it tastes amazing and I know what is in it.

wtf are you doing in La Cuisine? :p

Hehe.

People find baking relaxing and rewarding. I know I'd rather eat a homemade cake rather than one out of a box. Same goes for bread as well. :)

Good homemade bread is a lot better than shop bought...not just a little :p

It tastes absolutely wonderful and it is relaxing but to be honest, I have been deconstructing the process over the last week and testing the results with my missus. Originally I hand made it from scratch. 10 minutes kneading, and hour in the airing cupboard to prove, another few minutes kneading, another half an hour in the airing cupboard in a loaf tin etc etc, but it started annoying me. I then tried blitzing the mix in a food processor for 4 minutes or so, then removing it into a bowl to prove in the airing cupboard and then kneading the second part and proving in a bowl again before putting in the loaf tin. I then tried blitzed it all but removed it to a bowl to prove. Tonight I took it back one stage further and any decent baker will probably want to shoot me -

I blitzed the mix in a food processor, let it prove without actually removing it from the processor bowl (blades included), blitzed it again and only then removed it into a loaf tin for the second prove. Really easy. Not tried it yet but this is the outcome. This is a different style of bread as is a basic wholemeal, whilst the one above was sundried tomato and parmesan. It has risen beautifully and 'sounds' good so hopefully will taste good as well. If it is good inside, I shall be blitzing it from now on as it saves so much time and is so much easier.

54835ce6.jpg

Yup. I agree /re the shortcut methods that can create amazing results. I tend to do a lot of my cooking experiments in the same way - the first few times I'll make it the supposedly most 'proper' way and then after that I'll try different shortcuts. If you can achieve something that is 90% as nice with only 25% of the effort then it usually becomes a favourite for regular cooking :)

Dan Lepard (well known baker) uses virtually a non-knead method, of mixing / leaving / kneading for 15 secs / leaving / kneading for 15 secs / leaving etc etc, but I feat that will also be too much.

I have a stand mixer (with dough hook). My simplest loaf consists of:

1) Ingredients in mixer, mix for 10 mins.
2) Put dough into oiled bowl, cover.
3) Leave till doubled
4) Knock back and shape into floured banneton
5) Cover and leave till doubled
6) Bake

Really simple and produces amazing results for a daily loaf (I go the extra mile quite often too to produce something extra special).

An example from above process (White rye).

jJBuj.jpg

I tried it a couple of times with McDougall plain flour in the pinky colours bag, i also tried their '00' flour which is great for pizza but that was not much good either. I used the Hovis yeast in the little yellow 7g bags..

Well plain flour won't make a good loaf, not enough gluten to form the bonds needed to hold the CO2.

You need some "strong" or bread flour. 00 is technically strong, but is also very fine, so again not ideal for a daily loaf.

Get some strong white flour and follow this:

1) Put your sachet of yeast in a jug, and top with 300ml tepid water. Leave for 5 mins.

2) Pour in your kitched aid bowl. Add 500g flour, 10g salt and about a table spoon of olive oil.

3) Use dough hook for 7 - mins on low setting.

4) Remove from bowl, make into a round and place in a clean, oiled bowl. Cover with clingfilm and leave till doubled (probably 1 - 1.5 hours).

5) Take out from bowl and press all over with fingers to remove air. Shape depending on how you are forming your loaf (either put in tin, banneton, or shape by hand). Cover and leave for 35mins whilst the oven heats up to as high as it can go with your stone or baking sheet inside.

6) Put on stone / tray, slash the top a few times. Throw a cup of water in the bottom of the oven and bake for 10 mins on max. Turn down to ~185c, and bake for about 30 mins or until it makes a hollow sound.

7) Leave to cool.

Thanks mate, ill copy to evernote and give it a go tonight or tomorrow, any recommendations on which brand of strong flour to use or doesn't it matter?

Back
Top Bottom