Show Off Your Dish (Picture Thread) (Rules added)

Soldato
Thanks :D I was expecting a doughy lump as the dough didn't actually rise much (not even by 50%) and it seemed really heavy even after it was baked.

But it's actually not doughy and tastes decent!

Total fluke :D

Soldato
Bought some Parma & Pancetta in Morrisons yesterday... Parma went into a fantastic sandwich and I'm now using the Pancetta for a Carbonara...
The lady must have taken a shine to me as the price for the pancetta; 75p!

27xj9zo.jpg

25z73oz.jpg

Man of Honour
Totally over kill, you do realise about 4 hours will make the meat fall off the bone and leave it totally clear. There is a point you get to where no extra time will do anything, apart from start breaking the bone down.

4 hours and you can't even lift a rack up with out it falling to bits.

Soldato
48 hr? That must be a typo.
Pot? Kettle? ;)

Totally over kill, you do realise about 4 hours will make the meat fall off the bone and leave it totally clear.
And presumably you realise that he's probably cooked these at between 56-62° for those 48-hours?

4 hours and you can't even lift a rack up with out it falling to bits.
In an oven, perhaps, but not how he's done it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That looks awesome.

I'd agree with Glaucas' comments normally but the sous-vide thing kind of makes sense. The joy of such things is that you can leave food for an almost excessively long time without ruining it :)

Man of Honour
And presumably you realise that he's probably cooked these at between 56-62° for those 48-hours?

Yes, it just doesn't make sense though.
Yeah you can leave it for a stupid long time, so that makes sense if you want it ready to eat but are away from home for the weekend. However there's not going to be any difference in meat.

Man of Honour
And you know this for a fact, Glaucus? That there is no difference?

So if you cook a joint of meat for 3hrs at 180c but 6hrs at 120c they'd be the same outcome?

This is what's happened though. Slow cooking is breaking down connective tissue. There is no point to this method.
And before someone brings it up. He's tons 24hr "cooked" steak, isn't actually cooking it its raising the temperature for the enzymes to accelerate, artificially ageing the cut.
Sous vide is great for what's its designed for, but just cooked stuff for really long times, is rather pointless.
There's diminishing returns.

He probably saw a recipe for 48hr sous vide beef short ribs, which the point of cooking them is to keep the meat rare/medium, like you would a steak, but still break down the connective tissue. But you wouldn't or at least very unlikely to do this with pork ribs, as well as its not medium/rare in the pics.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom