Show Off Your Dish (Picture Thread) (Rules added)

Soldato
Fudge finally cooled, all chopped up and ready to scoff!

(click for bigger)

Also attempted Macaroons for the first time. I think I didn't whisk the eggs enough, which meant the mix was perhaps a bit wetter than it should have been.. which meant I had to bake it for longer... which meant they went from pink to brown (ohh err missus). They still tasted pretty yummy! I think i'll practise these some more!

(click for bigger)

Soldato
Macaroons are a bit of a bitch. Totally oven dependent as well, and just all round pain until you nail them.

Eggs work best if they're at room temp, and the whites even better if they've been out over night too. Did you do the resting before you ovened them? 30mins at least for the chance to form the skin on the top. What temps did you use in the oven? Recipes are crap for macs, as ovens differ so much, you have to play with yours.
You may well have over-whipped the eggs? gets to a point where they'll then get sloppier. Did you go French, Swiss or Italian meringue?

Soldato
Yeah my oven infuriates me at the best of times (see my other thread!) As for the eggs, they were room temp and I did indeed rest the piped-out macaroons before I baked them. I'm pretty sure it was a combination of under-whipping the eggs and the oven being maybe a tad too hot (I did them at 150C, converted from 300F as it was an American recipe!)

The recipe was French meringue... although I usually prefer making Italian meringue as it's so much easier to work with and less delicate! Might give that a go next time then (didn't realise you could pick and choose the meringue type when it came to Macaroons!)

Soldato
20130712_200835_1_zps46fefda0.jpg

Guess the colonial dish? :D

Back
Top Bottom