Show us your drawings/artwork

Soldato
The thread idea has been suggested a few times before and questions often pop up here and there, I thought I'd give it a punt. Out of 77k members, there must be a few amateurs/professionals/hobbyists/interested. :)

Just a general sketchbook thread for sharing work, ideas, links, advice and processes. Medium tips, both traditional and digital. All types of artwork allowed, of course.

Let's see if this takes off, we're all trying to improve and everyone has to start somewhere! So pick up a pencil and join in!

A couple of sketches from me to begin with:

knight_rendering.jpg

raiden3.jpg

milla.jpg

Soldato
OP
I'm just getting red crosses Chronic?

Loving the Knight Shifty, love the style and the texture of the painting!

I havent drawn for over 10 years and recently started again, but recently bought my first graphics tablet, so just getting used to that at the moment. I'm still on a steep learning curve, but thoroughly enjoying it again and forgot what a buzz it was working on a painting. I started my own thread here about my first experience http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18264446

Here is my first drawing in over 10 years and my first one using a graphics tablet, I used a photo as a reference, took about 15 hours in total;

Jeez 15 hours? Endurance! Excellent job, though especially for your first drawing in 10 years. Most notable points are the subtle shading and details in the eyes, lips and dress! How'd you manage to get the texture in the dress? Did you draw it all by hand? :eek:

A tip for proportions: If you're using Photoshop, use the free transform tool with warp mode turned on, that'll allow you to put certain things into a more accurate shape.

Soldato
OP
Just started this, not sure how it'll pan out or if I'll finish it. An absolute bugger to get proportions correct for such a simple shape!

harrier.jpg

and a couple of random Lord of the Rings esque landscapes I've done over the past couple of nights:

landscape2.jpg

random_enviro4.jpg

Spent under half an hour on both.

edit: and I can see why the first landscape might look a bit....funny :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That's awesome Baz, the attention to detail is immense. Be sure to post up the final image!

Some of the pencil sketches here are awesome! I've always had a love for B&W pencil renderings, something I always avoided as a child was the use of colour, I loved the finished look of pencil alone.

Robbie, I shall post a brief write up.

Soldato
OP
The process of the above images are digital. That's not always the case, sometimes I'll sketch an outline and scan it, generally depends where the references materials are coming from. For rendering, I prefer digital because of the flexibility but as you can see I'm still obsessed with making things look traditional.

Layer your paint and strokes
I use the same process across both B&W sketches and coloured paintings. A sort of paint layering effect. I use rough, textured brush work in an often varied selection of colours(before I've chosen a final palette). If you look carefully you can see the under painting and different colours showing through, this is intentional. To create a relatively impressionistic style. That and I prefer a textured, rough look as opposed to a fully digital smooth feel. I like the fact that people often have to look twice to tell if it's digital.

So, I start off with bold, textured strokes when blocking in shapes and values and refine with smaller more accurate brushes.

As for my palette. I often choose dull colours, this is subconsciously intentional because my mind always goes for the look of oils and traditional paints. Bright, bold colours look too digital for me. I have my swatches palette(Photoshop) customised to suit this.

My Brushes
If anyone wants the brush set I use, I'm more than happy to share. But, Photoshop already has a set of textured brushes, which I'd more than happily get use out of. It's more about how you layer the strokes and colour.

Vary your though process
My process changes. Recently I've been using line drawings but I'm a great believer in a more abstract approach when you begin, letting something form from shapes, images and colours. Here's a better video explanation:
LINK - http://vimeo.com/927695 - This chap has a brush set, too which I've used but didn't like because it's essentially a large library. I like a small set as I only ever use 4 brushes and usually always 2 different ones per painting.

Breakdown
Here's 3 different stages of a sketch I already have uploaded, I'll be sure to upload more stages as the thread goes on, though.

Line drawing comes first. After that I start the canvas at around 30% grey and block in values using a slightly textured charcoal style brush. The values are rather dramatic but that'll be smoothed out later.
gf_face1.jpg

It's important for the texture during this stage and the previous to show through later on. It's now cropped to a decent focus and the smoothing process has already begun. After the charcoal brush has been used for values, I head onto a hard edged round brush set at 10-15% opacity with pen pressure settings adjusted to smooth things out.
gf_face1_1.jpg

The cleaning up process continues, always referring to the reference to reach the appropriate values. The shadowed areas of the face have now been corrected to a reasonable standard.
gf_face2.jpg

Hope this is okay. I'm no expect particularly with terminology, I'm only learning like everyone else but I am fortunate enough to know Photoshop inside out which makes things a little easier and the process much quicker.

Get the line drawings, values and lighting sorted and everything else will come after that - Which I'm still learning!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Nearing the end of this one hopefully, seems to be taking shape around the face :) You chaps in this thread have spurred me on to actually finish a sketch for a change and get down to the finer details which I normally disregard!

knight_rendering_lg3.jpg

Side by side:
knight_rendering.jpg
knight_rendering_lg3.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I use a Bamboo, no need for anything bigger most of the time.

Awesome work LJT! Very impressive rendering and use of a reference!

dienamite: Very gloomy but damn impressive :D

Soldato
OP
Yes. You can even get an older gen Bamboo(black one) for much less than £65 as far as I know.

That's the one I use mostly as it's portable and goes nicely with the Macbook.

Soldato
OP
''Talent you have naturally, skill is only developed by hours and hours and hours of beating on your craft'' ;)

Never too late to have a go at something, mate :)

That batman drawing = Sweeet!

Back
Top Bottom