Show Us Your Motors!

Ampera was definitely ahead of it's time I think. £34k was more money than people wanted to pay, even with the cost savings which for a lot of people could be huge (depends on your commute, and ability to plug it in).

Unfortunately they cost a huge amount to produce (as the cost has to include electric motors, battery AND an ICE). Sales rates did not support this.

It's a shame as the new Volt is better than ever, but once bitten, twice shy etc.

One thing, it's technically not a hybrid. It's a range extender (more like an i3 in range extender form). The ICE generates electricity for the electric motors, which is a different set-up from a hybrid.

e as the new Volt is better than ever, but once bitten, twice shy etc.

One thing, it's technically not a hybrid. It's a range extender (more like an i3 in range extender form). The ICE generates electricity for the electric motors, which is a different set-up from a hybrid.

Not true, charge depletde or charge sustain it has a 3rd clutch to allow direct drive. Far more effocient so was implemented quite late in development.

Here's how it all works. What I find clever is it does it all so smoothly you would not notice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX5ZwzNwTc4

I tried a Mitsubishi PHEV before I bought the Ampera but was disappointed that even with a full battery it still needs the engine when you accelerate hard whereas the Ampera will go full throttle from 0 - 105mph (Limited) on motor and battery.

It's reasonably nippy too with 370NM of torque.

I have a build video of the Mini for anyone interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctwj3lgIt7A

Before anyone asks why...... It was previously a 1.3 Auto 50BHP, what I wanted was a reliable 100+ BHP and a 5 speed manual gearbox. To get that from an A series costs around £4-5K. The engine is probably best know for being fitted to Vauxhall Nova GTE's but it was also fitted for a very limited period to an Astra GLSi which is the donor car I sourced.

The donor car cost £300 but I spent £2k in total, I fully rebuilt the gearbox / engine with all new parts and had driveshafts made rather than cut and shut.

I have a build video of the Mini for anyone interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctwj3lgIt7A

Before anyone asks why...... It was previously a 1.3 Auto 50BHP, what I wanted was a reliable 100+ BHP and a 5 speed manual gearbox. To get that from an A series costs around £4-5K. The engine is probably best know for being fitted to Vauxhall Nova GTE's but it was also fitted for a very limited period to an Astra GLSi which is the donor car I sourced.

The donor car cost £300 but I spent £2k in total, I fully rebuilt the gearbox / engine with all new parts and had driveshafts made rather than cut and shut.

[STALKER MODE]

You're in BH!! I'm also in BH! You also have/had an ERA Mini (from one of your other vids). Do you know Tony with the VW camper van(s) and the (now departed) knackered black Citroen ZX? I live next door to him. I remember seeing an ERA outside his house many moons ago and wondering what it was (Tony subsequently filled me in on what it was).

Nice job on the conversion - it looks really clean and sounds rather good (good hoon route there too):cool:

[/STALKER MODE]

Last edited:
It's a small world, yes I know Tony very well although not spoken to him for a while, must give him a call. Amazed the Citroën died, I thought that would last forever!

Ha! Cool!

Yeah, the Citroen was incredibly crusty in the end. He's replaced it though - with another ZX, this time a rather clean white estate. No idea how he managed to find it!

Well spotted :) It's a C16SE 1.6 8v with 100bhp. Lots of fun in a mini and gives it a 5 speed gearbox and the reliability of multipoint injection. I built it a couple of years ago over winter when I got bored. It's a lot of fun to drive.

Just watched your driving vid, it sounds well and looks a lot of fun! Fair play, that's a really well matched engine to a little car :) We used to chuck them in cheap old 1.2 Nova's back in the day, solid little motors!

Recently bought this, and really do enjoy it.

nbw6mx.jpg

2vsqe5e.jpg

4jxj0k.jpg

Interior wasn't to my taste at first but it is unique :p

I was on the hunt for about 4-6 weeks til this one cropped up.

[TW]Fox;29048280 said:
And massive wheels. And a bodykit. And an R badge on every panel.

So yea, quite the sleeper :D

To be fair, Clarkey didn't even know it was an R :D

Could confuse it with an R-Line and most cars have massive wheels nowadays.

Just knocked up a rear shot. Didn't take too many as the weather was pants.

IMG_0073.jpg

Also proof there's absolutely no need for the quad exhausts, the centre ones are spotless.

Back
Top Bottom