Show Us Your Motors!

DSC_8978-1.jpg

DSC_8975-copy-1.jpg

Give us some specs? :p

Is it a diesel or petrol? I had a 400 with the 1.6 K series engine in it, and it was very capable, as is the diesel which I have now.

Oh, and be prepared for a very thorough bashing on here for owing a Rover...

It's a petrol, only the 1.4 K unfortunately, so not exactly the quickest in the world, but it's capable for my A-road drive to work and occasional motorway jaunt. It revs happily enough, would have preferred the 1.6 but couldn't pass up the bargain, given what else was available for under 2 grand at the time. It'd only done 34K miles and has AC, and is pretty much immaculate! Who cares about image problems :D

It's a petrol, only the 1.4 K unfortunately, so not exactly the quickest in the world, but it's capable for my A-road drive to work and occasional motorway jaunt. It revs happily enough, would have preferred the 1.6 but couldn't pass up the bargain, given what else was available for under 2 grand at the time. It'd only done 34K miles and has AC, and is pretty much immaculate! Who cares about image problems :D

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay? 34k is pretty good mileage, although keep an eye out for oil in your water and vice versa, as some of the peeps on mg-rover.org seem to think 30-40k is a bit of a hot spot for head gasket failure.

Looks stunning though, for the cash 400s and 45s are brilliant for the money, with things that you'd miss out on with other cheaper cars, like the multi-link rear suspension and the aircon :) which trim level is it?

And yeah, the K's are very rev happy, it took a lot to get used to a diesel again after my 1.6. Nearly blew the bugger up by down-shifting and putting the revs past 5000 several times in the first few weeks :D

Edit: Why did you hate it Fox?

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay? 34k is pretty good mileage, although keep an eye out for oil in your water and vice versa, as some of the peeps on mg-rover.org seem to think 30-40k is a bit of a hot spot for head gasket failure.

Looks stunning though, for the cash 400s and 45s are brilliant for the money, with things that you'd miss out on with other cheaper cars, like the multi-link rear suspension and the aircon :) which trim level is it?

And yeah, the K's are very rev happy, it took a lot to get used to a diesel again after my 1.6. Nearly blew the bugger up by down-shifting and putting the revs past 5000 several times in the first few weeks :D

Edit: Why did you hate it Fox?

I paid 1800 squid in June last year. Anything else around that kind of money - Focuses, Astras and Golfs, were either much older, 100k+ mileage or very badly equipped, or a combination of both. Could have spent double on a nice example of one of those, but buying the 45 means I can afford to run it with no worries, and I was chuffed with the condition inside and out. I even managed to find a set of original mats embroidered with the badge - how awesome(sad) is that? ;)

Trim is the Impression S - you obviously know more about them than I do, but it has the AC, CD player, Electric front windows and mirrors and front fogs. I do keep an eye on the oil/water situation with trepidation every time I open the bonnet, but all OK so far! The only fault with it at the moment is that the electric headlamp adjuster has ceased working. Can hear the motor running when I move the switch but there's no movement in the drivers side lamp (presume that's the only one it moves?). I think there's a bit of an issue with the lamp alignment anyway, the drivers' side seems to shine high while the passenger side seems to shine low in comparison, and I'm pretty sure it should be the other way around! Gonna get them checked out tomorrow though, working opposite a mechanic is quite convenient! You had any experience with headlamp issues yourself? Figured I may as well ask on the off chance it's something I could attempt to fix myself.

Wouldn't mind trying a diesel one actually, might buy one for the sake of variety if they get even cheaper! ;)

The new car I picked up in December replacing the Edition 30.
Car05.jpg

Essentially the same car but with a better stereo
Car02.jpg

Writing on the centre caps
Car06.jpg

Last edited:

Not bad, yeah the Impression S was one of the higher spec'ced ones AFAIK.

With regards to the headlamp adjustment, both the offside and nearside light clusters adjust via the electronic control, and also did in my base spec 416i, so both should be moving really.

Picking up a set off lights off the 'bay is pretty cheap off a breaker mind, so might be worth a look :)

And with the 1.4 you shouldn't be too paranoid about HGF, and although it is a flaw with the engine / gasket design, it only really afflicted the 1.6 and 1.8 engines badly.

If you can I'd recommend driving the diesel, but at first it'll probably seem gutless and unwilling to rev compared to a K series. Learn to use the boost to get the power though, and they are pretty capable, the only thing that spoils the show on the dervs is MAF sensors going quite frequently on the newer diesels, causing loss of power in the lower rev ranges (one of the reasons I got the older 400, these don't rely on the MAF sensor for fuelling).

@Fox: If the gasket went twice, there must have been an underlying issue, or the job wasn't done properly - once it is done properly and as long as the cylinder head face is flat and the liners haven't dropped it should be set for the life of the car.

Although granted if a gasket went twice I think I'd hate a car too :p

Now I have something with a diesel lump head worries are all but a distant memory. :)

@agw: The guy with the red Coupe works with me, he's doing an engine rebuild on it soon, think he said it has 110,000 miles on it? :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom