Show Us Your Motors!

Soldato
Its not the driving per se, its the whole situation, the unfamiliarity, the uncertainty about silly little things like finding a toilet if I need to etc. The "what ifs" like what if I break down, what if I get pulled over, what if I get in a crash, etc.

Anxiety is a ****. :)

My goal is to beat it and go to bimmerfest in the netherlands one year.

Ive driven in Europe a fair bit now, first time when I was like 19, its pretty damn easy tbh. Find it easier driving to the Alps than I do to London

Soldato
Ive driven in Europe a fair bit now, first time when I was like 19, its pretty damn easy tbh. Find it easier driving to the Alps than I do to London

Same here, but I wouldn't encourage anyone to go out and do something that they're actively aware could trigger some anxiety.

I was 23 when I first drove abroad, and fortunately it was in a rented Nissan Note in Menorca. Both an easy car and easy roads to drive. An absolute perfect introduction to driving on the other side of the road.

After that I was 25 or so in Paris and was driving around the Arc de Triomphe, that inspired a spot of anxiety. Don't think anything would phase me now.

Caporegime

I remember my first time. Boot full of spare parts and tools. Always take the basics with me now like a small tool kit but I always do a full service before doing any major road trip. If my old Saab can drive basically non stop for 12 hours most cars shouldn't be no problem.

I also prefer driving on the continent. A lot less congested than the UK.

Soldato
Its not the driving per se, its the whole situation, the unfamiliarity, the uncertainty about silly little things like finding a toilet if I need to etc. The "what ifs" like what if I break down, what if I get pulled over, what if I get in a crash, etc.

Strange that it only affects you abroad though. I’d expect someone with that kind of anxiety to want to drive an extremely reliable car in the UK and be massively careful about driving slowly / respecting rules etc, neither of which seems to apply to you. I bet you’d be fine if you just went ahead and did it: maybe rent a car for your first trip so you don’t have to worry about breakdowns, insurance etc?

Caporegime
Strange that it only affects you abroad though. I’d expect someone with that kind of anxiety to want to drive an extremely reliable car in the UK and be massively careful about driving slowly / respecting rules etc, neither of which seems to apply to you. I bet you’d be fine if you just went ahead and did it: maybe rent a car for your first trip so you don’t have to worry about breakdowns, insurance etc?

If I hit someone here, or get pulled over, etc, I know what I'm getting lol. No language barriers or confusion etc. To be honest my main issue is the "what if I need the loo" scenario for some reason. I don't know why, its irrational after all! I assume there are service stations with tonnes of toilets just like here. But I get that anxiety when driving long distances in the UK as well lol.

Guess I should just get on and do it somewhen lol. If I go to bimmerfest I'll be in a big convoy with a load of mates anyway.

Driving in the center of London is worse to be fair.

I used to be able to do that fine, right now I can't stand the thought of it... Need to sort my head out. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
If I hit someone here, or get pulled over, etc, I know what I'm getting lol. No language barriers or confusion etc. To be honest my main issue is the "what if I need the loo" scenario for some reason. I don't know why, its irrational after all! I assume there are service stations with tonnes of toilets just like here. But I get that anxiety when driving long distances in the UK as well lol.

Guess I should just get on and do it somewhen lol. If I go to bimmerfest I'll be in a big convoy with a load of mates anyway.

I used to be able to do that fine, right now I can't stand the thought of it... Need to sort my head out. :)

European Motorways = Toilets CONSTANTLY.. Either service stations or just purely stopping areas to have a rest/toilet stop. Its just better thought out than what we have here.

Soldato

A reliable car might help with the Anxiety!

Soldato

You’re not likely to get pulled over unless you’re doing something very obviously illegal and even then the police are normally very matter of fact about it: you show your documents, pay your fine and go. Most have enough English to communicate with you too. I’ve gotten away with various quite dodgy things by being respectful, admitting I was an idiot and proving that my insurance / licence etc was all in order. And if you don’t fancy that sort of situation, just stick to the speed limit tbh :p

As others have said, toilets are plentiful albeit not always spotless. UK ones are hardly sparkling clean either though!

Soldato
49537942232_71510db3c9_b.jpg

49537806296_4e52eb1bf9_b.jpg

49538031367_41c246913a_b.jpg

49537803086_3e55eea6ee_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom