Show Us Your Motors!

I can't help what the marketing department entered on their PDF! If BMW can call a 116bhp 116d M-SportLol, I don't see why VW shouldn't market a 160bhp car as a GT (without a single GT badge on it in the MkVI incarnation).

As far as I'm concerned, it's a highline.

[TW]Fox;16805219 said:
Yet you criticise somebody elses car for being a 'Sport'...

I thought Highline was for the high spec Golfs?

Did I criticise somebody else's car? Or did I laugh at the fact that Suzuki labelled it a 'Sport'? I have exactly the same problem with my car being marketed as a GT.

Iirc, you have recently made the very same complaint about the tendency for car manufacturers to appeal to the British marketing by labelling everything a 'Sport'.

Highline is for high spec Golfs, yes. Mine was the highest spec petrol engine available at time of purchase...I fail to see how much higher you can get.

Its a relative term to be taken in context with the rest of the trim levels for that car, so yes this is the Sport version of the Swift, and for reference its quite a good drive aswell.

Thanks for that, but how does a term being relative automatically render it relevant? Or are you saying my car is a genuine GT, as it's only a relative term?

You know as well as I do that I'd need to be crawling on my broken legs towards the only remaining functional car after a nuclear apocolypse before I'd hand over money for a Suzuki Swift, but by all accounts the Swift Sport is supposed to be an absolute hoot to chuck around a decent B road. In many ways its probably more 'Sport' than many other cars..

Indeed, for someone to pick on a Swift Sport and lol at the name shows he knows almost nothing about cars or he has his VW fanboy blinkers on.

The Swift makes for a good sporty drive in this respect its a very good car, however the Golf regardless of what they do to it doesn't make a good GT car, its not big enough for starters which makes it hard to cover long distance on the motorway with ease (a prime GT objective....)

Indeed, for someone to pick on a Swift Sport and lol at the name shows he knows almost nothing about cars or he has his VW fanboy blinkers on.

No, it just shows that I believe that the 'Sport' maxim is overused.

The Swift makes for a good sporty drive in this respect its a very good car, however the Golf regardless of what they do to it doesn't make a good GT car, its not big enough for starters which makes it hard to cover long distance on the motorway with ease (a prime GT objective....)

That's funny, cause last summer I did a thousand miles on Scottish motorways with very great ease. Despite a relatively short wheel base, it's got good isolation and ride refinement for a hatchback. Not that I'm arguing that my car is a genuine GT. I'm not even trying to defend my Golf, so I don't know why you keep banging that drum.

That's funny, cause last summer I did a thousand miles on Scottish motorways with very great ease.

Somebody else did a thousand miles on Scottish motorways with even more ease in a 635d, and somebody who was richer than him did a thousand miles in a Continental GT. THESE are GT's.

[TW]Fox;16805870 said:
Somebody else did a thousand miles on Scottish motorways with even more ease in a 635d, and somebody who was richer than him did a thousand miles in a Continental GT. THESE are GT's.

I'm not disputing that, I'm disputing this:

'makes it hard to cover long distance on the motorway'

I hated my drives to Scotland in Golfs, a Nissan Primera Estate covered the trip in more comfort and i always got out the other end feeling less stressed, a Golf is not a good long distance prospect, its too hard sprung and the wheelbase is too short, its drifts around the carriageway too much and needs too much driver input into the wheel.

Back
Top Bottom