Show Us Your Motors!

Soldato
What feels like the first summers day this year, so a good clean & polish :)

Jez, would love to hear some buying and owning tips on the SL. Its one car I'd love to own at some point, even just for the summer months.
I read that both the SL55 and the 500SL run the ABC air suspension, and the running costs (fuel aside) are similar?
I've discounted the SL350 given that the fuel economy is almost identical to the SL500.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
The 350's don't often have ABC, which spoils the car. ABC is very good and a very important part of the package. Of course they don't have the V8/V12 engine either which is another element of an SL which is very much part of the point of the car.

The suspension is not actually Air, its hydraulic. The crucial difference being that ABC is much stiffer, the Airmatic air systems are only found on the high end E, and lower end S-Class models, and is a very comfortable but bouncy system. (high end S-Class have ABC like the SL).

Running costs for both the SL55 and the SL500 are largely similar, both have very strong engines and transmissions which rarely ever give issue. Electronics across both are obviously almost identical, so while both are actually very reliable in general, there is a lot to go wrong.

500 vs 55, comes down to purchase price ultimately, its also not that clear cut as it is sort of swings and roundabouts game with both models, if you want loads of power, the 55 is way ahead. The 500 is a lot cheaper to buy, has a faster 7 speed newer gearbox than the 55's old 5-speed box, and the 500 models are generally more luxurious in terms of comfort options. For me the real king of the range is the 600 V12TT. These are usually specified like 500 models, but with even more power potential than the 55.

Owning tips I am not sure about really, what specifically would you like to know about? :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers Jez, I think I'd probably go for the 500 given that you get the 7 speed gearbox as well as a high spec interior; for me I think its more about wafting in comfort with the roof down rather than all out speed.
How long do your tyres last typically? Have you had any unexpected repair bills? I've read about roof seals and ABC struts going but not much else. Anything major to look out for?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
That's how I see it, I have no plans to change out for a 55 as i'd lose options which I really notice, and I would gain loads more power. The power is wasted though as I drive like an old man :p I am thinking about a quad pipe conversion though, as I do definitely prefer the AMG setup aesthetically.

Repair bills, mine has not gone wrong at all. It did for the first owner though, who suffered ABC failure shortly before I bought it and had the struts replaced at a cost of £8000 (why people pay these kind of bills I am not sure), and then the pump fail with another bill for £2000.

Roof seals are also something which leak letting water into the boot, which then collects at the bottom, where the PSE (central locking air pump) and the roof hydraulic pump conveniently happen to sit - ruining them. I will never suffer from that though as I never leave my car in the rain, and neither did the previous owner. Therefore my car has never really got wet unless it was being driven without thought for the weather, or caught elsewhere off guard over night or something.

In reality all of the bills are massively over egged. As is the case with all cars IME, no cars need cost much to run and mine doesn't scare me at all due to this. A couple of examples include;

ABC strut new price £2000 fitted (hence my cars £8000 main agent bill) - Rebuild cost 150 quid + labour to remove and refit (not too bad at all, its only a strut).

ABC Pump + pressure block thing new price £2000 fitted - Used costs for these sub £500. Also mention of rebuild options for even less on forums (not looked into this much).

PSE pump fail replacement £1000 fitted - Rebuild cost 50 quid with another cheap C-Class pump as a donor for impellor parts etc.

Gearbox failure (unlikely, probably the worst failure you could get) - New price £game over, thousands. - Place recommended in London for example, £1200 rebuilt better than OEM.

The list goes on really, you don't need to replace much on these cars. The prices of parts have caused a rebuild market to emerge.

Tyres - I drive like a granddad and take loads of mechanical care of the car in terms of driving style so all my stuff lasts ages. Tyres front 30k, rear 20k. Pads 30k+ etc....

Soldato
Great info, thanks very much. Some of the price quotes from MB scare a lot of people off, but I found that most owners in the know will either get them rebuilt or buy new from trusted 3rd party resellers.
A 500SL 2004 onwards with the AMG kit seems to be a great option to go for.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Great info, thanks very much. Some of the price quotes from MB scare a lot of people off, but I found that most owners in the know will either get them rebuilt or buy new from trusted 3rd party resellers.
A 500SL 2004 onwards with the AMG kit seems to be a great option to go for.

Yeah, that's exactly what I've got. Only thing I might change as I say is the exhausts, the AMG sport models still didn't come with the quad pipe setup which I think looks nicer.

Associate
Thanks for all the positive replies, you can all have a 10% discount on hair treatments :) It's finally something I can be proud of, was always great fun to drive but was rather rough around the edges at the rear.

Looks good. What work did you have done?

Quite a sizeable list of work at the bodyshop as per HERE It had been poorly treated in a previous life.

5 looks sweet, Shame the plate isn't VGC.

Noted bar getting the wheels changed for some white Enkie 5 spokes the plate is the only thing I want to do. A new set of plates always seems to make a car that little nicer.

Man of Honour
I've discounted the SL350 given that the fuel economy is almost identical to the SL500.

The facelift 350 with the new engine is 'much' more economical (Well its not, its about 6-7mpg better, but as you've identified the prefacelift is about 1mpg better than the 500 therefore pointless) and much more powerful then the prefacelift one, too.

Back
Top Bottom