Show Us Your Motors!

Associate
Makes sense to me, an EV to do short trips and an ICE car for fun or longer trips.

Makes sense to me too. I think our first EV will be for most of our driving - ie local - with ICE for distance. All the benefits of zero emissions urban driving without any range issues.

How odd, I had this exact same conversation with a colleague yesterday and said the exact same thing. Perfect for the bimble around town or short commutes but would have ICE for the longer trips.

Soldato
Makes sense to me, an EV to do short trips and an ICE car for fun or longer trips.
Makes sense to me too. I think our first EV will be for most of our driving - ie local - with ICE for distance. All the benefits of zero emissions urban driving without any range issues.
Is this an economic or environmental based view?

I'm thinking the ownership of two vehicles will outstrip either benefit?

Soldato

Whenever I go through a stage of doing lots of short trips I can help but feel it’s not good for the car and also the max speed I’m doing is 40 so an EV would be perfect. Save the big engine for when you can get the most benefit from it.

Regarding environmental, if you buy second hand and keep the cars for as long as possible I think it’s at least minimising the impact. Sure it’s not the most economical/environmentally friendly thing to do but some households need two cars. As Fox said, it will also reduce town/city emissions which can only be a good thing.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime

As in, make the households second car an EV but keep a large ICE for the family trips and anything longer. Currently by far the best solution surely. All the benefits of an EV locally, but no hassle for the large fully loaded family stuff.

Soldato
As in, make the households second car an EV but keep a large ICE for the family trips and anything longer. Currently by far the best solution surely. All the benefits of an EV locally, but no hassle for the large fully loaded family stuff.
Firstly, don't call me shirley - but secondly, surely the best option if feasible is to downsize to a single car and rent a big car on the odd occasion it is required. Blows my mind how many cars have unused capacity.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I guess that depends on your circumstances, if we downgraded to just one car then my wife would be stranded at the house for hours every day whenever i am out.....

It would save some money, but it seems a little inhumane to dictate her movements :D

Soldato
I guess that depends on your circumstances, if we downgraded to just one car then my wife would be stranded at the house for hours every day whenever i am out.....

It would save some money, but it seems a little inhumane to dictate her movements :D

Channel your inner Joe Friztel and lock her in the basement!

Man of Honour

It's neither, it's just a preference. I've driven a Mini Electric and really liked it. It's great silently driving around town. From a tech and car enthusiast perspective I really want an EV eventually. But like most things I doubt they are quite the saviour we believe. Remember the last time we all got pushed to take the environmental choice by financial incentive? Ended up with even Fiestas with diesel engines..

We already have two cars anyway.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
EV as a second car but reality is that it’s probably the main car.
I'd definitely only entertain the idea of a large EV personally, for the reason you mention here. The reality is that if i have invested in an expensive but silent and fuel free EV, I wouldn't want to use my ICE car unless the range absolutely forces the issue, or we are using both cars at once. It'd become the "main" car by default simply because it is better.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I'll put a huge bet you've never driven one, or spent any time driving one.
Not sure who you aim at, but you'd win the bet in terms of driving one if me :) You don't need to spend much time actually driving them though to see how much better they are, a few moments as a passenger should see to that!

Soldato
Not sure who you aim at, but you'd win the bet in terms of driving one if me :) You don't need to spend much time actually driving them though to see how much better they are, a few moments as a passenger should see to that!
lol aimed at the person I quoted :D saying they are boring.

They actually handle really well. I was really shocked to be fair but you can give them a ton of **** and they are a fun back road drive.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
You didn't quote anyone :p Edit: realised that this is where my newly discovered ignore feature doesn't work, your quote from the ignored member didn't show at all.

I find it amusing that anyone would really call them boring, but then i am not really interested in cars which people would probably class as especially fun.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'll put a huge bet you've never driven one, or spent any time driving one.

I've ridden in one.

The acceleration was a real "holy ****" giggle inducing moment and I asked the driver to put his foot down a few times I admit. :p

But its not for me as an experience. Its more like a gimmick. It was like riding a rollercoaster. Sure you might go round and queue two or three times, but then you've had enough.

Yes they handle incredibly well in spite of their weight because of the ultra low centre of gravity, but I'd take something which handles a bit less well and has an engine and gears any day of the week. Being in a Tesla isnt an event.

I am forever saying "im just not interested" in EV's and people are forever just dismissing it as "Oh he doesn't know what he's talking about".

No, different people like different things, and I think EV's are **** if you're a car enthusiast, and that the world is kidding itself that they are the solution to "saving the planet".

Its a joke. Stick with internal combustion and stop people buying a new car every 8.3 seconds when their previously brand new car gets a speck of dust on it, stop people flying across the world for no reason, and make Asia clean up their industrial processes.

/rant

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I think if your journeys are made up of shorter trips, local commutes and around town then electric is the go to choice these days.

Soldato
If we were starting from scratch I’d definitely push for one pure electric and one ICE car. I’m definitely not convinced of the environmental merits of scrapping a perfectly good Fiat 500 Twinair for a brand new electric 500 to be manufactured instead.

Perhaps we should switch the diesel bus for an EV (but many monies).

Soldato
To be honest I can't wait for densely populated areas to just switch entirely to car pooling/car share schemes. Such a waste of cash for me to have an Ibiza sat outside that gets used once a blue moon for tiny trips - alongside the other 50 cars on my street that are also unused.

Tesla self-driving should be used for summoning the car from the car pool lot to my house to clear my street up entirely of parked cars sitting doing nothing.

Back
Top Bottom