*Show us your pet reptiles.....*

Soldato
Its not that much of a concern was just to make sure it wouldnt harm the snake, and only reason i asked about the bulb was its was taking ages to warm up.....then i realised i didnt flick the switch on the wire lol, The viv is slowly getting up to temp now.

Heres a picture of (insert name - any ideas for a name?) That the owner took, I will upload more once she has settled in.

bi41t3.jpg

Associate
Its not that much of a concern was just to make sure it wouldnt harm the snake, and only reason i asked about the bulb was its was taking ages to warm up.....then i realised i didnt flick the switch on the wire lol, The viv is slowly getting up to temp now.

Yes I know the struggle of that particular switch, though in my defence I only missed it because my previous setup didn't have it. :o

Caporegime
Id love to have a bearded dragon but i cant handle bugs.

Same here. The only two that I'm aware of which would seem to be suitable for me in this regard (though not necessarily a good idea in other ways), are the rock iguana or green iguana. However, I doubt it would be fair of me to own either as it would be my first experience of keeping reptiles.

Associate
Same here. The only two that I'm aware of which would seem to be suitable for me in this regard (though not necessarily a good idea in other ways), are the rock iguana or green iguana. However, I doubt it would be fair of me to own either as it would be my first experience of keeping reptiles.

It's quite possible if you start with a young one. At that point all you need is the setup to be correct. You'll learn about behavior etc as he grows, by the time he's big enough to cause trouble you'll know his body language much better.

Caporegime
It's quite possible if you start with a young one. At that point all you need is the setup to be correct. You'll learn about behavior etc as he grows, by the time he's big enough to cause trouble you'll know his body language much better.

Interesting. The rock iguana is the one that appeals to me the most so far. :)

Soldato
Just picked up the new addition to the household, currently in shedding so shes blind at the moment, shes slowly exploring her viv. Whats the best way to raise the humidity? With her shedding i know she needs it abit higher than normal but not sure on the best way to go about it.

Caporegime
Just picked up the new addition to the household, currently in shedding so shes blind at the moment, shes slowly exploring her viv. Whats the best way to raise the humidity? With her shedding i know she needs it abit higher than normal but not sure on the best way to go about it.

I find a simple spray bottle squirt or 2, 3 times a day works fine. You can also add a small hide with a substrate of dampened sphagnum moss. But I find the spray bottle is simplest and easiest. Royals are not as sensitive to humidity as people make out IMO. They seem to cope well with shedding.

Associate
Interesting. The rock iguana is the one that appeals to me the most so far. :)

The key to any animals' care is just research. The only things definitely off-limits to noobs are venomous animals as they obviously do need experience.

The major thing you'll hit with an iggy is mating season. Males can range from a bit grumpy to downright dangerous. Luckily if you get one young then you will have time to get to know it before it grows to that age and recognise the changes in behaviour.

Soldato
Ive just gave most of the viv a misting with a spray bottle will probably grab some moss aswel, never realised how big she was until she stretched out climbing up the back of the viv seemed so small holding her curled up, shes just hiding now in the warm end hide.

Associate
He's having a lazy day today, he was there when I went to work and presumably hasn't moved all day. What a life. :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1DREF-7HRE

Talking about feeding how long should i wait until trying to feed her after shedding? Should i try and feed her a week after or try sooner?

Chuck it in pretty much as soon as they're finished if you want, it doesn't really matter. Mine always used to be on the hunt as soon as she was out of her skin. Gives you a chance to grab the skin without it drying out and crumbling into an epic mess. I find bits of the stuff everywhere.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom