*Show us your pet reptiles.....*

Associate
If mine misses a feed it will have to wait for the next one. He's fed every Sunday. He ate 2 weeks ago, but didn't at the weekend gone so he will wait until Sunday coming. The couple of times he's gone 4 weeks+ without feeding i've put a towel over his viv and left him with the rat in the dark for a whole day and he usually takes it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Managed to get hold of the breeder luckily as i know hes currently on holiday, says strike fed on rat weaners before and is due a feed now. Also tells me hes got my snake mixed up with another and hes not sure if mine is male or female now as he had a couple of unsexed ones left luckily i still didnt pick a name.

If its this hard for me to pick a name for a snake i worry what ill be like when i have a child lol.

Associate
All he said was shes not fussy regarding mice/rats this was the one thing i forgot to ask, how long should i leave it between trying to feed her? A day or so? I might leave her one in over night tonight and see if shes ate it in the morning

It doesn't really matter seeing as snakes can go for months with no food. A royal I gave to a friend just broke a 7 month fast after he noticed her appear when she smelled another snake's rat. The last time she was offered anything was about a month ago if a little less.

Offering them food too often just reinforces the refusal of food in my limited experience. Thankfully retics are much less prone to a hunger strike, it was my corn that let the team down this week. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Yeah could be that she/he is just nor hungry, now ive seen a lot of mixed reviews on this but what would you do regarding the food if its not hungry would you refreeze or....? Ive seen a lot that say they refreeze and others say not to refreeze as the rat just turns to mush

Associate
I just chuck leftovers in another viv these days but I never did refreeze stuff. They eat whatever they come across in the wild so it should do no harm but the quid wasted on a rat is worth the peace of mind.

I just noticed after 2 days that my corn didn't eat his mouse so I lobbed it in with a retic, who looked less than impressed with my tiny offering. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Handled harley for the first time today only for a few minutes though as it was the first time, seemed fine though but shot back into her viv given the chance to.

Just tried to feed again, struck but missed and hit the tongues i guess messed her jaw up as kept opening and closing mouth so had to realign it or something now not striking at the mouse ill try again tomorrow but atleast i know ahes stiking now.

Last edited:
Associate
You'd be surprised how out of shape their jaw can get, sometimes they scrape themselves around things to help out, it can look pretty odd. Good that it's eating (or trying) after handling, just leave the mouse and she'll eat it overnight. She probably just wanted nothing to do with the thing that just whacked her in the nose. :D

Here's mine after biting himself for no particular reason. I think he saw himself move, he's struck at his own tail before.

Soldato
Got up around 2ish this morning, and noticed she was nosing up the the glass went toilet came back and she was half out of her hide resting her head ontop of it under the heatlamp. Will clean the viv out today and probably re arrange it a bit, need to get a branch or something to climb might go around the backs and see if there is anything there and pop it in the oven to get rid of bugs and bacteria.

Cant wait to go onto noons again ill be able to see her more active then when im back from work.

Will upload some pictures later on

Last edited:
Soldato
Well went to feed harley again i threw a rat in her viv to warm up for a few seconds while i went to get a drink...shes never botheres before when i just place food in...and shes struck it and i missed it :( happy shes feeding though now i know everything is okay. Cant get a decent picture of her while handling shes so lively think she just wants to get away from me lol.

Dont know why i keep refering to harley as a her when i dont know the sex, it just seems right

Associate
Maybe she just doesn't like you watching, my corn snake will sit over his and rattle his tail until I leave. He's happy to shed in my hands but will protect his food to the death. :D

Soldato
She was in her hide when i put the food in came out and and struck it by the time i walked to the kitchen and poured a pint. I was shocked she managed to eat it tbh thought it was abit to big as she had trouble getting past the head....watched her eat it and get stuck in the corner, i had to put my hand into the viv to move a water bowl was expecting to get bitten.

Caporegime
I know what it's like as a new snake keeper. You watch your snake get into all manner of positions that make you think it's in trouble or it's stuck and won't be able to eat, but you would be amazed at the adaptability of snakes to manipulate themselves and their food to get it down them.

Soldato
Yeah i watched her get her head around it and my jaw hit the floor...ive seen it all on tv and that but until you actually see it happen she had trouble getting back into her hide with the bulge in her stomach.

Decided to do abit of a diy project and im going to make a viv for when she needs to be moved out of her current one it wont be for a while but its something to do in my spare time while i have access to a lot of free wood and acrylic.

Soldato
Could anyone translate this? I have looked around and on the reports from Pal Labs, they write Vetinary Treatment required but I don't have that on mine. The difference is that the examples I saw had other issues, or the same issue but moderate for example.

MICROBIOLOGY

Culture Aerobic cultures show a heavy mixed growth consistent
with normal faecal flora.

Salmonella POSITIVE
*Serotype to follow - This can take up to eight weeks*
SENSITIVITIES
Augmentin Sensitive
Ceftazidime Sensitive
Gentamicin Sensitive
Amikacin Sensitive
Enrofloxacin Sensitive
Marbofloxacin Sensitive
Doxycycline Sensitive
Metronidazole RESISTANT
Ceftiofur Sensitive

Campylobacter Negative
Yeasts Negative
Direct VERY SCANTY NEMATODE OVA SEEN.
Cryptosporidium Negative
Concentrate No further ova, cysts or parasites seen.
[ ]
Report date 16/05/2016 Final report on 16/05/2016 Price GBP Charge GBP 40.00 +VAT

<< End of Lab Data >>

Associate
^got no idea sorry^

Well Monty had a terrible shed. Humity kept between 50-60%. May get a shed box to put in when i notice he's about to shed. He did his head, end of tail and bell but pretty much his whole back wasn't. So i gave him a little bath and we sat down in front of the TV watching MOTD and i peeled in once piece easily. He can finish a few bits up near his head.

Associate
My dwarf retic has gone to a good friend, sad to see him go but the others need larger vivs so it's a 'last in, first out' kind of decision. Guy has wanted a retic for ages so that's earned me some 'bro points' in the process and he'll be well looked after. The remaining two will get to enjoy 9Lx5Hx5W vivs each. :)

Back
Top Bottom