*Show us your pet reptiles.....*

Soldato
Take no offence as I mean none personally but the kind of keeper you are is the problem. They look cool enough to keep you a bit interested but not so much that you even remember the name of what you want.

Even if it's 'only' a pet rather than part of a wider hobby it's poor form, everyone knows the breed of dog they have/want don't they? Even more so with pedigrees, which is what the morph you're describing would be compared to.

Like I said don't take personal offence but how on earth do people remember the care for these things if not the name? :confused:

Not sure I see a correlation between the care given and not knowing if it's a hypo or het etc personally. I studied for over a month on care and nutrition and setups before I got one, the morph wasn't important to me at the time as the care remains the same regardless :)

Associate
Not sure I see a correlation between the care given and not knowing if it's a hypo or het etc personally. I studied for over a month on care and nutrition and setups before I got one, the morph wasn't important to me at the time as the care remains the same regardless :)

I should have clarified I didn't mean you personally. :D

I tend to go at everything full throttle and go from seeing an animal I like to knowing everything about it in a pretty exhaustive manner. I admit I quite often forget not everyone is as obsessive or single-minded when researching a subject.

Statistically though, the people who say 'I want x and x' are just drawn to the pretty colours, have no idea of the work involved to engineer new morphs and eventually lose interest. I certainly didn't mean it to come across the way it does when I read it back, my apologies.

Soldato
No its fine. As said, the breeding thing was just me musing, I'm not irresponsible enough to breed as I know I don't have the time nor is there any need.
Due to my mental state I over research everything. When we got him, the first week I spent obsessively checking the temperatures every 15m. Food was the worst one! I'm happy I know enough now to keep him healthy and spot any potential diseases early on :)

On reddit I see so many posts of obese ones and eye diseases. Some look like frogs and yet the owners think its normal! I shall add some pictures when I get to work. Its amazing how much he's grown since we got him in December.

Associate
No its fine. As said, the breeding thing was just me musing, I'm not irresponsible enough to breed as I know I don't have the time nor is there any need.
Due to my mental state I over research everything. When we got him, the first week I spent obsessively checking the temperatures every 15m. Food was the worst one! I'm happy I know enough now to keep him healthy and spot any potential diseases early on :)

On reddit I see so many posts of obese ones and eye diseases. Some look like frogs and yet the owners think its normal! I shall add some pictures when I get to work. Its amazing how much he's grown since we got him in December.

In that case I rescind my previous comment, you probably are as obsessive as me then! :D

The last beardie I had suffered an eye problem due to a coil UV bulb the previous owners used. I got rid immediately but the damage was done and he spent the rest of his life having to have eye drops. He was also stained red from the sand they had him on and even after several sheds it never totally disappeared. :(

Soldato
In that case I rescind my previous comment, you probably are as obsessive as me then! :D

The last beardie I had suffered an eye problem due to a coil UV bulb the previous owners used. I got rid immediately but the damage was done and he spent the rest of his life having to have eye drops. He was also stained red from the sand they had him on and even after several sheds it never totally disappeared. :(

It's annoying when it's totally preventable stuff as well just by doing some actual research before getting a pet.

Here are some photos in a rough chronological order:
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_20160417_WA0001.jpg

IMG_20160410_155350_1.jpg

IMG_20160410_153544_1.jpg

IMG_20160410_160411_1.jpg

Associate
It's annoying when it's totally preventable stuff as well just by doing some actual research before getting a pet.

Here are some photos in a rough chronological order:

He looks like quite a character, is that him floating on something in the bath?

I had a radio controlled car that mine used to ride around on.:D

Soldato
Yeah he is great. That is a shower gel bottle I put him on just for a laugh. Loves the water though, if the shower is on he stands under the jets and strikes his basking pose with his eyes shuts. Then he has a swim. Then struggles like hell when you try to get him out.
He doesn't ever drink from the shower and he's never once drank from his water bowl, to the point I wonder why I even bother leaving it in there.
He's well hydrated from his food I guess.
I like the car idea :D

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah he is great. That is a shower gel bottle I put him on just for a laugh. Loves the water though, if the shower is on he stands under the jets and strikes his basking pose with his eyes shuts. Then he has a swim. Then struggles like hell when you try to get him out.
He doesn't ever drink from the shower and he's never once drank from his water bowl, to the point I wonder why I even bother leaving it in there.
He's well hydrated from his food I guess.
I like the car idea :D

They do drink on occasion but there is a raging debate on the FB groups of whether to even put a water bowl in with them. Even if you don't see them use it, it's cruel to not put it in IMO. Plus the people that don't are, I think, breaking animal welfare laws as anything should have access to food and water at all times. Mine loved plonking herself in her dish and sending water everywhere. :rolleyes:

Soldato
My totoise does this. Water goes in. Has a big drink. 2 mins later there is a muddy bog from him tipping it over. It's like "Yeah I am done with that. Take it away, peasant keeper".

Associate
My totoise does this. Water goes in. Has a big drink. 2 mins later there is a muddy bog from him tipping it over. It's like "Yeah I am done with that. Take it away, peasant keeper".

The worst one is when I do the full deep clean, two of my three retics are 100% guaranteed to lay a giant log the second I put them back in. They can't be desperate as they'd do it on the carpet otherwise. Think it's just a case of 'this smells weird, better make it smell like me'. :rolleyes:

Associate
They do drink on occasion but there is a raging debate on the FB groups of whether to even put a water bowl in with them. Even if you don't see them use it, it's cruel to not put it in IMO. Plus the people that don't are, I think, breaking animal welfare laws as anything should have access to food and water at all times. Mine loved plonking herself in her dish and sending water everywhere. :rolleyes:

My Uromastyx has not had any water for 15 years, except for that which comes from her food, they like it incredibly hot and dry. I sometimes soak some lentils in water overnight (to soften them) but that is probably the most moisture she gets. If you give Uromastyx water they are inclined to drink it all and cause a lot of problems for themselves.

All of your cages look lovely and neat, mine ends up a complete mess minutes after I clean it, millet seeds, lentils, leaves and beans strewn all over her vivarium, she has a habit of running through her bowl. I have a hard clay substrate which suits her well (she can burrow) but it's quite difficult to pick small seeds up.

Also for those who don't like bugs, Uromastyx are practically 100% herbivorous/vegetarian, they will eat insects if you provide them but more than a couple a month is bad for them and none are required.

Last edited:
Associate
Funny you should mention my clean cages, two have made an epic mess whilst shedding and the other one is so horny he's thrown everything around on the rampage and crapped in his water for good measure. :rolleyes:

Just what the doctor ordered after a day at work, who needs a quiet beer anyway? :D

Soldato
Well she has left me a huge mess in the corner (could at least do it in the middle so its easier to clean up, eyes have gone back to normal now so hopefully shedding will be done soon.

Edit: shes finished shedding just picked up her hide and her skin is in there in one piece :) (expected it to be in bits) and shes finally using her hide on the other side of the viv now :D now do i leaver her a while before i handle her to let her settle abit more as its only been 4days since i had her

Last edited:
Associate
Well she has left me a huge mess in the corner (could at least do it in the middle so its easier to clean up, eyes have gone back to normal now so hopefully shedding will be done soon.

Edit: shes finished shedding just picked up her hide and her skin is in there in one piece :) (expected it to be in bits) and shes finally using her hide on the other side of the viv now :D now do i leaver her a while before i handle her to let her settle abit more as its only been 4days since i had her

I'd leave her a few more days, around a week is the generally accepted time but they often start nosing at the glass and being curious before that. Chuck a rat in if she hasn't eaten and handle her in a couple of days when it's digested.

Soldato
my royals just eaten for the first time in about 8 weeks (medium rat) when he was younger we used to bribe him with multimammates as they seemed to be his preferred choice. If he doesn't eat i usually go from weekly attempts to fortnightly and just make sure hes got water

Soldato
Did the previous owner tell you how she likes to be fed? Mine will only eat if i leave it over night for him.

All he said was shes not fussy regarding mice/rats this was the one thing i forgot to ask, how long should i leave it between trying to feed her? A day or so? I might leave her one in over night tonight and see if shes ate it in the morning

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom