*Show us your pet reptiles.....*

Soldato
Could anyone translate this? I have looked around and on the reports from Pal Labs, they write Vetinary Treatment required but I don't have that on mine. The difference is that the examples I saw had other issues, or the same issue but moderate for example.

Well it's a bit puzzling as initially says "normal mixed growth consistent with faecal flora" but then says faeces contains salmonella and then details which antibiotics would work.

Associate
Not exactly pet reptile but a little friend from down the allotment. He was quite happy sitting on my hand on a cool day in early April getting the warmth from me. See lots of these Common Lizards on sunny days.

Lizard%201_zps9ecj5hxm.jpg

Lizard%202_zpsipzcqgia.jpg

One day I moved a rolled up length of carpet left behind from the allotment's previous tenant and discovered a large family of these lizards. Here's a few that didn't scurry away.

Lizard%203_zpszhc1tfgh.jpg

Soldato
Harley's finished her shed but still not eating she seems interested in her food but just won't strike I'm going to leave one in over night and see if she eats it, been close to a month now since her last feed(probably worrying over nothing)

Soldato
A month is nothing to be concerned about. Snakes can go a lot longer than that without eating with no detriment to health.

Soldato
Noticed a few white marks on harley today checked on a few sites/forums some people are saying it could be from scraping up against sonething but there is nothing she can scrap agains in her viv. Is a trip to the vet in order? Feel like im worrying over every little thing as shes my first snake but better to be safe thsn sorry Here are a few pics of said marks.

259y39e.jpg
1ibnrb.jpg
2505cn4.jpg

Associate
Noticed a few white marks on harley today checked on a few sites/forums some people are saying it could be from scraping up against sonething but there is nothing she can scrap agains in her viv. Is a trip to the vet in order? Feel like im worrying over every little thing as shes my first snake but better to be safe thsn sorry Here are a few pics of said marks.

259y39e.jpg
1ibnrb.jpg
2505cn4.jpg

She's just rubbed against something a bit hard, it's like when your skin flakes into little white bits. All you can do is run your fingers around the viv for anything but it sounds like you've done that. They're clumsy animals but definitely not worth a vet visit.

They can put up with nasty-looking wounds surprisingly well, a friends female took a dislike to one of my males last year and gave him a horrible looking wound on his back. I just put him on paper towels instead of the usual substrate and kept him clean, gave him a break from feeding and gave him space to sulk and recover.

Everyone panics with their first snake, 'is it meant to do that?' is the most common question with anything new. :D

Associate
Wonderful animals, they truly are.

She's the most docile snake I own, enjoys her chin being scratched and is an all-round softy. She eats like a monster however!

I know that problem, I have heard that they like their grub though.

My lot have just had two giant rats each and are still glaring at me for more. I might actually be up to rabbits soon, they're an annoyingly awkward 'in between' size at the moment. I did try the biggest with one but he hissed at it then flung pee in my (incidental) direction. :o

Soldato
Well thought Harley had managed to escape today as i left the viv door open slightly after changing her water, Went to clean out her viv and she wasnt in any of her hides so had abit of a panic checked the room and she was no where to be seen checked back in the viv and she was playing hide and seek lol shes never bothered with the plants before but today she thought she would.

2ajqjx2.jpg
2h35w68.jpg

Associate
Well thought Harley had managed to escape today as i left the viv door open slightly after changing her water, Went to clean out her viv and she wasnt in any of her hides so had abit of a panic checked the room and she was no where to be seen checked back in the viv and she was playing hide and seek lol shes never bothered with the plants before but today she thought she would.

2ajqjx2.jpg
2h35w68.jpg

We'll just be kind and say you're a new owner and she was well hidden. :D

Had a fun day out today at a donkey sanctuary of all places. Went to help a mate with the stall from his reptile rescue and it was busy as hell. Jesus, hauling large constrictors and squirming corn snakes around all day ruins me. :o

Soldato
Harley has finally eaten again tried her back on mice as that is all the shop had in by me she took it straight away, moved her into a bigger viv put 4 hides in there for her so she feels safe loads of branches and a few plants to fill it out, just need to sort out the temps as there is only a 5° gradient.

She's currently 22inches and weights 225g

Associate
Have you tried scenting a rat with mice? I've gotten many a picky eater going again that way. You can end up spending loads on random rodents though, I had one with a really annoying syrian hamster habit. :D

Soldato
Thats what im going to try next im going to try rats from a different supplier if she doesnt take then ill scent with mice or gerbil as i can get used gerbil bedding from the shop down the road.

Talking about gerbils ball pythons love them do you reckon i could give her a gerbil every now and then just to change up her diet abit and sort of a of a treat? ive heard gerbils are like crack to them dont want her getting hooked lol

Associate
Thats what im going to try next im going to try rats from a different supplier if she doesnt take then ill scent with mice or gerbil as i can get used gerbil bedding from the shop down the road.

Talking about gerbils ball pythons love them do you reckon i could give her a gerbil every now and then just to change up her diet abit and sort of a of a treat? ive heard gerbils are like crack to them dont want her getting hooked lol

If they'll eat it then it's fair game really. Everyone said my retics wouldn't eat fish but they nailed it like nothing else. You want to avoid obviously fatty stuff, generally the largest rats or mice will have more fat in them so I change food sooner to avoid that.

There's not much you can feed a snake to make it ill to be honest, certainly not rodents in any case. Mine have had chinchilla, a pig foot (don't ask), hamster and a few gerbils. :D

Soldato
yeah dont think ill try the pig foot lol dont think i could feed them a chinchilla i love them used to have one when i was younger, already threatening feed my cousins hamster to my snake after it bit me lol.

Just going to try a few things see whats the best way to get her feeding regularly

Associate
Well excrement hit the fan last night and I had to rush Nibbler to the vet for a prolapse. Times like these I'm glad for the hours I spend with them, pretty sure any other snake would have had my face off before I got near it. He's back in his viv avoiding the kitchen roll substrate like lava and feeling sorry for himself. :(

Soldato
Ahh that sucks danny hows he doing now?

Ive had to get rid of rex (my friends beardie i had off him) nothing wrong with rex himself but i just coukdnt cope with the cricket noise as he is in the bedroom next to mine so i can here them at night and im a light sleeper so makes it really hard for me to nod off lol.

On another note i may be getting a red tail boa a friends brother is getting rid of some of his collection as hes moved into a smaller house and im debating wether to take the boa off his hands.

Back
Top Bottom