*Show us your pet reptiles.....*

Soldato
New shop has opened up near me they have a tonne of snakes you need an DWA license for rattlesnakes, cobras etc, they also have meerkat which i never thought you could have as a pet. They have a load of crocodile skinks in aswel and im thinking of getting a pair of them.

Caporegime
You dont need a DWA for a meerkat, but keeping one on its own is animal cruelty. They like to live in big groups.

It's definitely an animal that should not be kept as a pet unless you are able to provide a massive space to build a huge compacted sand habitat for a big group to tunnel through. Then you become more like a zookeeper than a pet owner.

Soldato
Yeah i said to the shop owner it didnt seem right having meerkats as pets there were 2 in a 10ftx10ft enclosure.

Been reading up on the crocodile skinks and decided they are not for me after having my ball python i want a reptile who is for show and doesnt hide most of the time. Got talking to the shop owner and he suggested maybe a green tree python. Anyone any experience with these?

Caporegime
Yeah i said to the shop owner it didnt seem right having meerkats as pets there were 2 in a 10ftx10ft enclosure.

Been reading up on the crocodile skinks and decided they are not for me after having my ball python i want a reptile who is for show and doesnt hide most of the time. Got talking to the shop owner and he suggested maybe a green tree python. Anyone any experience with these?

Yeah a mate had one. Aggressive little bugger. He got bit numerous times while handling it. In the end he accepted that it wasn't for handling and only moved it for cleaning, sometimes having to use a hook.

Fantastic show snake, they look awesome coiled up on a branch underneath a heatlamp, but it's not a handling snake. Some may be more docile, but in general, they are pretty vicious little sods.

Associate
Monty is now on week 4 of not eating but his skin is looking fine and hasn't lost any weight (514g) but he was surprisingly active last night to took some pics

Think this is the first time I've seen him bathe.

Soldato
Cork cut, fitted and new plants added. Really like the look of the viv now.

Really nice :), i'm about to move my 18 month-ish out of a RUB and display her in a viv so was trying to get some ideas from people that setup nice vivs for Ball/Royal pythons. As last time I setup a viv was for my Burmese python years ago and she would destroy the fake plants and real plants, so in the end made it a simple setup for her so for easy cleaning and to stop her destroying the setup )basically a water area she could soak all her body in and warm and cold hides and a very large branch that was held down with large bolts and nuts and a cold and warm hide that also acted as a basking area. I use orchid bark for my snakes as it doesn't go moldy easily or ever in my case that I noticed and I keep the humidity 75-85% when sprayed and 65-75% when left to settle I try not to let it drop below 60% for both my snakes but of course more humid normally when they go into shed.

How has Monty been with the fake plants ? is he destroying them or just hiding in them and enjoying them ? No real experience with a Royal in a viv that is decorated, only a Burmese and I learned the hard way to keep it simple.

I'll stick some pics up later of her current setup in the new viv with her hides and water bowl and a dino skull.

Did you seal the edges of your viv with aquarium silicone (this is safe for reptiles, no other silicone should be used) ? Especially the bottom so if he spills the water bowl it does not leak out of the viv ? Also how old and big is he and what is the size of your viv ?

Soldato
I keep mine simple due to the sheer weight of the snake. She's over 8 pounds, so whatever she crawls on just collapses!

How big of an enclosure do you have her in and how old and long is she now ?

Do you have some pics of her in her viv ?

Probably going to decorate my viv for the Royal this weekend if I have time as I want to do it once right and then basically make it easy for cleaning the viv and the stuff inside it. Normally I do a full strip out and clean every month-6 weeks to change the orchid bark and disinfect the surfaces and decoration. The daily or every other day maintenance is easy cleaning water bowl and adding new water and stirring up the orchid bark so not to let it stay too wet at the bottom if water has collected and spraying the bark if needed.

Soldato
Just a little update as not posted in here for a long time Had to get rid of my ball python due to issues with my landlord which have now been resolved so now have a sand diego gopher(took me ages to find one locally) and a bearded dragon. Had to cut my collection down as had a Red tail boa, Albino Hognose, Cali King snake(wanted a mexican black originally) japanese rat snake.

Thinking of getting a second snake again but i can't decide what im thinking a Boa again or possibly a bull snake.

Associate
How has Monty been with the fake plants ? is he destroying them or just hiding in them and enjoying them ?

Did you seal the edges of your viv with aquarium silicone (this is safe for reptiles, no other silicone should be used) ? Especially the bottom so if he spills the water bowl it does not leak out of the viv ? Also how old and big is he and what is the size of your viv ?

He's been fine with the fake plants as most of them are hanging down from the top of the viv. He mainly is either in his hides or crawling over the logs.

Yeah it's sealed with aquarium sealant but i don't have much issue with spillages has he doesn't really use the big water bowl i got him. he's just over 2 years old and it's currently at about 650-700g

Associate
Just a little update as not posted in here for a long time Had to get rid of my ball python due to issues with my landlord which have now been resolved so now have a sand diego gopher(took me ages to find one locally) and a bearded dragon. Had to cut my collection down as had a Red tail boa, Albino Hognose, Cali King snake(wanted a mexican black originally) japanese rat snake.

Thinking of getting a second snake again but i can't decide what im thinking a Boa again or possibly a bull snake.

I want another snake but recently became a dad so need to spend my money elsewhere (until i start my new job). If i do get another one i really like the look of the Brazilian Rainbow Boa. I am also kind temped by a Red Eye Mud Skink becuase they looks like small dragons :)

Caporegime
Off to do some shopping for snakey mate. 4 rats, new water bowl and a new hide for the cool end. Got a great shop near me. Has some awesome rainforest displays with waterfalls and misting systems for frogs. They look epic.

Soldato
I want another snake but recently became a dad so need to spend my money elsewhere (until i start my new job). If i do get another one i really like the look of the Brazilian Rainbow Boa. I am also kind temped by a Red Eye Mud Skink becuase they looks like small dragons :)

Im debating a rainbow boa its come down to a Rainbow boa, Red tail or a motley boa, bull snake or just save and get a GTP at some point (thats my dream snake) i was debabting getting a red eye skink but they are never really out of there hides and are not a lizard thst likes to be handled much.

Soldato
Im debating a rainbow boa its come down to a Rainbow boa, Red tail or a motley boa, bull snake or just save and get a GTP at some point (thats my dream snake) i was debabting getting a red eye skink but they are never really out of there hides and are not a lizard thst likes to be handled much.

You do realise a green tree python is not a good handling snake ? I use to have a pair from hatchlings and they never would be tame enough to handle in your hands for long before they took a bite, they can only be handled on a snake hook at arms reach. I had a female and a male one yellow in colour and the other red in colour and they of course turn green as they age. They really are display snakes only, so if you want to be able to handle them be prepared for some very quick nice bites, they bite worse than my Burmese did when it nailed me as I was feeding it. They also require you to feed them with some grabber tongs that you would also use sometimes to grab the snake with to place on a snake hook.

You will also need a tall viv to stick a very large branch in to act almost like a tree and make a few hides out of foliage so they can wrap round the branch near the foliage to hide, also you will need to spray them down everyday as they drink from the foliage and pools that collect on the branch, never used their water bowl when they were in the viv but when I kept them in a RUB as babies they would hang onto the branch i stuck in the RUB and stretch to the water bowl. Honestly they are very pretty snakes, but they are a lot of work compared to a normal python or boa. Also you have to be able to take a good bite as they really do give a very nasty bite and their attitude does not tame out as they get older.

Brazilian Rainbow boa pair is next on my list, when I set up a wet viv for them they also require a large bowl to fully soak in and damp setup, so be prepared to clean it often or you will get mold and fungus, they are great handling snakes but the viv setup for them is a bit of a pain as they like it damp to remain healthy. A Rainbow boa Brazilian or Colombian can die in 3-4 days if there is no water source and very low humidity. So something to think about if you go on holiday and no one to make sure they have water and high humidity.

Out of your list the easiest to care for is the red tail/common boa and make very nice medium large snakes for handling. Really the next step up from a Royal Python or a snake of that size and care. I will advise you to stay away from Burmese pythons and Rock Pythons as they get very large and when fully grown you will need two people to handle them in a safe manner, even if they turn out to be really tame and never bite (rare especially with a Rock python, they are always a bit snappy). I would even say stay away from reticulated pythons as again they get very large and can become a two man job to handle them and they like to run retics so be ready for a chase while handling them.

Soldato
^^ Yes i know they are display snakes which i dont mind, i just mentioned that the Red eyed skink is niether a display lizard or one to be handled so that is why i didnt get one.

Regarding Rainbow Boas i would love one but as you stated maintaining there enclosure and there humidity requirements is putting me off due to having to work away for a day or 2 every now and then.

I can see myself getting a Red Tail again the previous one i had was a rescue that was mistreated, previous owner used to pin her head down with a plastic tub lid and she was infested with mites, got her to calm down a lot to the point she loved coming out of her viv and been handled and got rid of her mite problem but then i had to get rid of my collection as stated.

Going to have a look at some crawl cay Boas on sunday as i already have a 4ft viv spare so one of them would be ideal due to been dwarfs.

Soldato
^^ Yes i know they are display snakes which i dont mind, i just mentioned that the Red eyed skink is niether a display lizard or one to be handled so that is why i didnt get one.

Regarding Rainbow Boas i would love one but as you stated maintaining there enclosure and there humidity requirements is putting me off due to having to work away for a day or 2 every now and then.

I can see myself getting a Red Tail again the previous one i had was a rescue that was mistreated, previous owner used to pin her head down with a plastic tub lid and she was infested with mites, got her to calm down a lot to the point she loved coming out of her viv and been handled and got rid of her mite problem but then i had to get rid of my collection as stated.

Going to have a look at some crawl cay Boas on sunday as i already have a 4ft viv spare so one of them would be ideal due to been dwarfs.

How come the landlord decided you could not have snakes ? Of all things they cause no damage to the property say like a dog or cat does. It's like saying you cant keep fish.. Was the landlord just not a reptile fan and being a pain ? I rent and my landlord is very cool with me (even though the contract says no pets),I have a giant Ragdoll cat and the Royal Python and a large sea water aquarium at my property and have my Burmese at my mums in my old bedroom and if I had the space in the place I rent now I would have got her over here too and sure the landlord wouldn't mind as he knows I look after the property and do a lot of maintenance and keeping the place really nice and he loves my cat and the aquarium, he's not a huge fan of snakes but he thinks the colouring and patterns are really pretty on them but of course wouldn't keep one as a pet (you know that stereotype that we all grow up with they are dangerous and all venomous blaa blaa.. i'm sure you know what I mean as a keeper).

Want to hear something funny ? My first snake was a Burmese Python I got her 1993 and still have her at my mums in my old bedroom in a custom made enclosure that takes up most of the room. I got her and didn't know if she was a boy or girl at the time (didn't care), because I feared snakes and hated the fact I did as I love all animals and they were the only animal that scared me but of course I thought they looked pretty but terrified of them.

My brother at the time (1992 before I got the Burmese) got some Garter snakes little young ones that were wriggly pains in the rear and bite at you all the time at that age and they would escape all the time from their little viv and of course I liked them but really didn't want to deal with them, but one day they got out and my brother was no where to be found and of course I was worried they would get hurt or lost in the house and get sucked up in the vac or the cats would get them, so got the winter gloves and picked them up and stuck them back in their viv and made it escape proof. I was fascinated by them and in the end I ended up taking care of them as my brother lost interest in them :(.

In the end I took the Garters to a reptile shop and they took them as part of a part exchange for my Burmese Python :). I liked larger snakes than smaller ones at the time as they didn't creep me out when they moved so quick. I never planned on keeping my Burmese to full size, but at the time they were classed as pretty docile (I did a lot of reading and spent more on books than the cost of the snake, even before I decided to get it) for a snake and that's what attracted them to me and I loved their natural colours (normal's), so I said to my mum at the time I was getting one as she is terrified by snakes too and she said no ... :rolleyes:.. so many days I kept saying I got it and she said she would not come in the house if I did.. so for 2 weeks that went on and in the end I got her and set her up when my parents were out shopping. They came home and I said hey I got the snake (she was a 8-10 week old still tiny but extremely beautiful), my mum said sure sure.. I said I will get her and bring her down, so got her and showed her to my mum and she of course jumped back two feet and then calmed down and realised she was really pretty, she wouldn't touch her but liked the look of her and said wow she seems really nice compared to the Garters, I said yup but bad news is she becomes huge... Showed her full grown pics and she was like omg wow never realised there was even snakes that large in the world, I said yes but I don't plan on keeping her till fully grown and just want to take care of her till she becomes maybe a concern for me.

Today my mum still has the snake in my old bedroom because I love her to bits and would never get rid of her, she was the snake that got rid of all my fears and even my mum started to love her too and my mum changes her water everyday and cleans any poop if she can easily get to it as she does not handle the snake inside or outside of the viv unless I am there, I feed her and do the full clean of the viv and no one is allowed to take her out apart from me as she is now 18 feet and 2 inches long after measuring her last March, her weight I have no idea as I don't have scales that could measure her. From a tiny 150-200-ish grams to a giant. That's why I don't recommend any giant snake larger than a Common boa/red tail in a home environment, yes the girls become huge compared to the males but again the males are still large.

I made a very bad decision when I got her as I didn't really plan on keeping her to full size but after many years with her I couldn't get rid of her, she was my baby (sounds soppy I know) . That's why I only now keep snakes that get no larger than a common Boa/Red tail. They become very expensive to keep the large ones as you need custom enclosures built, more sophisticated thermostats with more channels and able to run heat cable (under belly heat) and heat lamps (heat from above) and lighting and a humidifier and keeping the room at a steady temp too so a room heater too. This is how it has to be done for such a large snake to keep them healthy. I hate seeing people not keeping them right and clearly see they have URI, bad sheds (want to remove eye caps from a 18 foot snake with a head larger than your hands, because humidity is all wrong..(that gets very scary but has to be done)) ? as the conditions are not correct for the large enclosures as they use single channel thermostats and the temps are all wrong in the other parts of the viv and ambient temps are way off as they only measure the heat area. Larger the enclosure the more headaches, people never realise this till they get to that stage, from a 4-6 foot viv to a room sized viv is a very different ball game and ends up very expensive very quickly. The hidden costs to keeping reptiles or warm/sea water fish is the enclosures and controlling the conditions. Also how do you like the idea of an inside pond as a water bowl/full soak area in an enclosure and then all the measures needed to make it very safe for a large snake and 100% escape proof, just the special hardened thick glass cost a fortune? Then always making sure to lock the enclosure and the room doors and windows. I even have a note on the back of the room door as I go out or my mum to double check everything before locking the room.

So the moral of the story is if you get a reptile and is cute and tiny when you see them check how large they get as adults and can you really keep it and take care of it and can you make sure you will be safe and others that may come into contact with the reptile (large snake bites child or escaped snake makes great headlines and destroys the hobby for us all, so really think). I'm sure many are reading this thread thinking wow they are so cool I want one and never kept a reptile before, do your homework first and if you are happy with the animal you decide on, make sure you setup their enclosures a week before getting them to make sure all works well and troubleshooting any problems, so after a full week all works well go get your reptile and enjoy, also do a lot of reading on them before and after :).

If you are new to this and love the idea of a snake, get a king snake,milk snake (a type of king snake too) or corn snake first, they come in many beautiful forms and colours, keep that for a 1-2 years with no problems and if you later want something larger and feel brave and comfortable, the Ball/Royal Python make a great chunky medium snake and again comes in many morphs (colours and patterns) and again keep 1-2 years with no problems and still want something larger common boa / red tail or something with that care level and size as adults.

I know some are thinking Brazilian or Colombian Rainbow Boa are nice medium sized snakes but they require special care to keep them alive and healthy, they can die in 3-4 days if not kept right (so read and can you deal with that level of care ?), I have been doing this since 1993 and only now feel comfortable in looking after one or a pair of Rainbow Boas, I have kept many types of snakes in that time, most were rescues and I re-home them in time or bad buys like the Green Tree Pythons I purchased as they were very pretty but required a lot of care and always bite and never tame out, they are 100% display snakes and only handled when really necessary. Same applies to Tree Boas here for care and handling issues, so be aware, as I did think about changing the tree pythons for tree boas thinking they maybe easier to tame but heard same horror stories too, they again are 100% display snakes. I like to handle my pets from time to time so I can inspect them easily and make sure they are doing well and no problems are occurring.

Now the big question some are asking ... do they bite .... yes there are two common types of bites from a snake.. :-

1- the bite and release is a keep away warning and in most cases not a food response (unless you smell like your furry pets in the house and the snake realises oops not food and lets go quickly). Keep trying to pick up the snake so it realises its not getting away with that, basically conditioning it to bite you if you give up, use a snake hook if required, once they are out of the enclosure they normally calm right down, some are just protective of their home space, once out they calm right down.

2- the bite and hold on and wrapping round you is they are hungry and smell food and you either got in the way of the food you were offering them or smell of the food you maybe was preparing for them to give them and didn't wash your hands before putting hands into the enclosure (snake is thinking hey smells like food and warm .. so you get the idea). So always wash hands before and after handling a snake, a food response bite is the worst bite as they really try to latch on and not let their "food" get away, I normally let them realise i'm not food at this point and give them a few minutes to realise and they normally let go on their own. I try not to pull them off unless I have to as you can damage their teeth sometimes or end up with teeth in your skin. A trick I use when they really are stubborn and don't let go is to try spraying water on their mouth and head with a spray bottle, if that fails get some mouth wash if you have some and add that to a spray bottle and spray in their mouth, the taste normally makes them let go. No mouth wash try some lemon juice in water. If all this fails run a sink/ bathtub (depending on size of snake) with at first luke warm not hot water and dunk the snake fully in the water, keep your hand in the water for 30 secs first see if it lets go, if not let the snake up for air and try again increasing by 15 secs every time, but no more than 1 minute (you don't want to drown your pet). Normally these above tricks they would have let go, if not try the cold water shock trick, stick them under a running cold tap and run water on their head and try not to get the cold water all over their body, this normally works 100% I hate doing it as I don't want to make my snake cold, but better than it loosing teeth sometimes. Now if all this fails, gently open the snakes mouth easier from the bottom and get a ice lolly stick and slide that in the lower mouth as you are pulling on the lower jaw then, after that and lower is feeling loose push the top jaw forward (remember curved inward teeth) to release the top teeth and pull up to get the snake off.

3-Now the Third type of bite is again like the first they normally strike and release and hiss and even rub their scales together to make a sound and tail whip you, if your snake is normally calm and this has come out of the blue it could be they are coming into season or if a female protecting her eggs or live born.

The other reason if they are normally calm is the enclosure conditions maybe wrong , check temps and humidity and the enclosure is clean, sometimes snakes burn them selves on the heating provided if the thermostat or heating device used has gone wrong or you are using heat mats or some heating device without a thermostat and causing the snake to burn (a sign of this is they lay a little on their sides and in a bad case on their backs), so everyday check the temps at least twice in the day and before bed.

The other reason is they just dont feel well or maybe going into shed (don't handle a snake when they have cloudy eyes, they can't see well and can panic in defense, wait till they shed).

Now if you have a snake that has always been a bit of a striker and bites and doesn't tame over 6-12 months of handling, it may never do and just be a nervous snake and you may have to live with that and handle it with a snake hook and if this is not acceptable, then sell the snake to a keeper that understands the problem you are having with the snake, many keepers are happy to take a snake that has an attitude and can deal with them. Sometimes you just get a bad apple, but make sure not to buy a snake that is known not to tame down or can have an attitude, normally most snakes even the gentle known species can get the odd one that never wants to be handled and bites all the time and then you get the ones in the middle that are biting when you try get them out but calm right down when handling, then you get the real gentle ones they love your attention and never strike and bite when picked up and even when handled in a rough manner say by a child.

All animals bite .. but like any animal handle it enough and make it realise you wouldn't hurt it and feed it right and keep the enclosure clean and correct temps (for day time and night time), humidity, water, hides and light for day/night. You will have a buddy for life and I really mean life in some cases they can live a long time, so make sure you understand how long they can live for too.

Also very important if you get a snake make sure they feed on frozen thawed and not live in the case of a snake that eats rodents or rabbits. Insect eating reptiles types are all live eaters or dried food or fresh fruit and veg. SO do make sure how they are fed too and if unsure make sure they show you how they feed them before you buy or adopt a snake. Also make sure in the case of a snake that eats live only, it is dangerous for a snake sometimes as the prey animal can attack the snake and even kill the snake or cut it wide open or blind the snake, never buy or adopt a snake that eats live is my advice, you risk the snakes life too if you don't know what you are doing. Also it is unpleasant to watch live prey as food. All my snakes have always eaten frozen thawed, my Burmese eats 2 jumbo rabbits now in one feeding maybe even 3 sometimes, depends on how she looks to me and that's done every 2 weeks sometimes more or less, again you watch and know with experience. General rule for any young snake once a week of the correct size food is enough as they get older some are still fine on a once a week and some will be once every 10-14 days. DO read as they get older what they require as some feeding times change with age.

Last edited:
Soldato
To be honest i dont know why he had an issue with it he just kept saying that not aloud pets but i kept pointing out to him that they cant damage the property and he was demanding a £350 non refundable fee for a deep clean of the house should i move out, which was just baffling, best thing is my landlord is a bloke i have known as long as i can remember i grew up with him and his brothers and im sort of a family friend. On the last month of my tenancy he aaked if im staying for another year as i have refurbished the house myself while i lived here (he bought the materials tools etc.) I explained i wouldn't be staying and the reason why and he changed his mind.

Been offered a red tail boa for £30 just over 8months old and around 2ft in length and female only thing is i cant find any 6ft vivs anywhere thinking of converting a old wardrobe into a viv.

Last edited:
Soldato
I got a third Fiji Iguana recently :)
He is called Frank. He is only a wee young man.

Frank_zpsell2ynf4.jpg
946ACDDD-AD2D-4CB9-95FE-B05F993CCFF8_zpso59aj2ri.jpg

Back
Top Bottom