*Show us your pet reptiles.....*

Associate
Same here. The only two that I'm aware of which would seem to be suitable for me in this regard (though not necessarily a good idea in other ways), are the rock iguana or green iguana. However, I doubt it would be fair of me to own either as it would be my first experience of keeping reptiles.

Read "The Green Iguana Manual" by Phillipe de Vosjoli. Iguanas are big, big powerful lizards. The amount of power they have is quite surprising. They can hurt you. It is very important for an iguana to trust it's human so it can be handled even if it's only for the ocassional exercise and to clean it's home, which, once you're dealing with a large adult iguana, can pretty much be the size of a large closet or even a tiny bedroom. These animals are expensive. Sure, it's just a few bucks to pick up a hatchling Iguana, but think about the amount of electric you will go through heating it and giving it powerful UV light, the amount of food (a lot. Seriously) you will be feeding it daily as an adult. Vitamins and mineral supplements. Trees (yes, you will be buying small trees or tree-like structures for your green iguana's bedroom eventually).

It's a lot of effort and money and learning required for an animal that will never love you. That's an important thing to understand with reptiles. They are dumber than a bag of rocks. cool? Yes. But dumb.

If you want something cool to look at and you are into the time and money investment, go for it. They really aren't that complex to care for if you do research first.

If you want a pet that will actually entertain you, love you, miss you when you're gone, get a dog or parrot from a reliable breeder.

Having said all that, you said you can't deal with bugs, but what about conveniently frozen mice/rats? Are you aware of how easy it is to care for a snake? How inexpensive and easy they are to house? That they only eat about once a week (less in some cases)?

You can still have something big and impressive, and the odds of it hurting you are much lower, as are the costs of feeding and maintenance, and general required knowledge level. A coastal carpet python is a nice medium-large snake that is easy to care for, looks freakin awesome, and you can even ditch it for seven days and go on vacation (make sure it has a human coming by to give it fresh water. This is a 10 second job every day.) and it'll be fine.

Consider this comparison:
Iguana: weekly-purchase obscene amount of fresh fruit and veg and what not for iguana
daily- prepare obscene amount of food for iguana from the food you brought, give your iguana water
Every six months- change out UV bulbs so they are always at peak spectrum $$$

Snake: yearly: buy 48 frozen rats
Weekly: let a rat thaw out and drop it in the snake's enclosure. Change water.
That's it. Snakes use heating pads which last 10 years or more usually.

Last edited:
Soldato
Chico about to turn 18 years old soon, still amazes me each day. Now almost the length of myself!! GodZilla GodZilla! :D :D

14590479_10153996001348526_5318239559993819742_n.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Disagree with them Being Dumb!!
Chico can get out the shower and walks himself back into his enclosure.. Might not sound like much but this is a new house something him learned himself to do after only couple days, after being used to doing it in the old house for 10+ years

Cant speak for all Lizards through but Chico Green Iguana even knows who I am and they do let on to you with slow head bobs etc each morning its a hello..

That video above also completely wrong "again can only go with my experience" I only been bitten once by Chico and that was when he was a baby.. Now my Iguana is like a big soft puppy NOT aggressive at all I can pick him up without any wiping or biting

Last edited:
Soldato
I picked up this fella this weekend. Male Australian Water Dragon. Rich deep red underneath - Not got photos of that yet - He's settling in so will update with some more when he is ready to be handled.

I re-scaped this viv for his arrival.

CE7631A2-80F4-430C-889C-B89B0D51C0CA_zpschvwlfca.jpg

8F8047C8-3177-4880-9638-4D50406A32AD_zps8z8wdvvz.jpg

Caporegime
Humanising a wild animal and trapping it in a cage?

I have a dog...A collie...Hugely intelligent and bred for working and domestic duties.

He has a personality and loves his life off the lead and running about all day.

What life does captive reptile have?

Seriously?

They're warm, safe, comfy and well fed. They don't know any different and reptiles are not like mammals. They do nothing but their instincts such as eat and sleep. Most pythons don't even move about in the wild. They hole up and are ambush predators. There really is no difference to a reptiles life in captivity or the wild, except that in captivity they are completely safe from predators and can get proper veterinary care when they need it.

You could make your same argument for fish. But everyone accepts that as a nice hobby.

Soldato
Humanising a wild animal and trapping it in a cage?

I have a dog...A collie...Hugely intelligent and bred for working and domestic duties.

He has a personality and loves his life off the lead and running about all day.

What life does captive reptile have?

Seriously?

My iguana has the run of all up stairs. More than the dog does, plus his cage is big enough for me to walk into..

people who look after reptiles well enough give them a bigger viv to live in when they out grow there older one.

The same can be said for any captive animal.

Back
Top Bottom