*Show us your pet reptiles.....*

Soldato
You could go for a Hog Island Boa. They're really nice snakes and males hardly ever get over 4 feet, females 6. They have a wonderful temperament too. You're looking at about £140-150 for a quality CB animal.

Naa, I think time to train him for GTP and ETB attitude but not as delicate or hard to keep alive :D, but not one of them yet but a nice "arboreal" species that can behave as badly as they can but at a cheaper price and look very pretty in a display and a snake on my next display setup as I really like one of the morphs they come in ;). Also their bite is no where near as bad as a GTP or ETB.

If he can guess what I'm talking about I may even direct him in the direction of the one I have my eye on that is stunning and a CB17.

Last edited:
Soldato
100w but i can buy a higher one if needed

Perfect for what I have in plan for you :D and when that ceramic dies get a HabiStat Reptile Radiator 75W or drop the ceramic now and leave it as a spare for your other snakes, the Reptile radiator will last 5-10 years depending on thermostat and a pulse is perfect for it to make it last 10 years easy. £56.16 currently here https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/habistat-reptile-radiator/ , ordered one as a spare for my GTP as that's what I use, they normally cost £70.

You will need a guard for the Radiator too https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/swell-reptile-radiator-guards/ . £18.69

But these can be added later as you have a 100w and guard that will work just as well but the radiator will give you more head room and more hidden in the viv. Something to add later. As this snake also uses the ground 50% of the time too "hint" and a hide will be needed on the ground too.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was looking into rads for all my snakes as i hate the look of ceramics if im honest.

Got me curious now, what are you thinking?

An Amazon Tree Boa. Google Amazon Tree Boa Halloween phase and Amazon Tree Boa Phases ;). They come in many colours too yellow, red , brown and various patterns and some that look greenish too. I like the Halloween phase and have seen one for sale that is stunning for £125 CB17. You can get them even cheaper if you shop about they start for the basic phases from £50 and up really, but a nice phase will be in the £100 mark.

Males get to about 4 and half feet. Females get to 6 feet but remember these only get about 1 inch to 2 and a half inch diameter but very cool snake before a GTP and ETB, had a yellow one years ago that I was looking after for a friend that went on holiday and love them but they have an attitude and can be handled from time to time but again same as a GTP and ETB a hook really most of the time. These are great for training you onto a GTP and ETB as they are more hardy and won't hurt you like a GTP and ETB can and will!. Get use to how a ATB moves and reacts then if you can deal with that then a GTP or ETB, if you can't and get tagged all the time by the ATB then a GTP and ETB is a no go because a ATB will bite and be a little painfully but no where near a GTP or ETB in the damage it can cause you.

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Snakes/Snake-Care/Amazon-Tree-Boa-Care-Tips/

This is an adult female fully grown in this video so that is as big as they get.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive actually looked into getting an Amazon tree boa before just found them hard to come by i missed out on one a few months back and since then i haven't seen any (admittedly i haven't been looking but used to see them pop up from time to time)

Went to get a few pics of skittles today but shes gone into shed so will get a few after.

EDIT: Funilly enough a 3year old male ATB has come up for sale awaiting some pics of him.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was looking into rads for all my snakes as i hate the look of ceramics if im honest.

The problem with using rads for ground dwelling reptiles is they don't get warm enough,that's why ceramics have a place.

The main problem is in uk we don't have a huge amount of rads at the required wattage output. USA have many and sadly we can't use them here because they are not available in UK 240v power.

That's why you find a lot of people using heat cable in some way to act like a top heat rad. Which is a terrible idea in a wooden enclosure as some will cause fires if not set up right.

The 75w rad I mentioned is perfect for a 3 foot to 4 foot viv for a aboreal animal. Ground dwelling stick to ceramics.

Soldato
Ive actually looked into getting an Amazon tree boa before just found them hard to come by i missed out on one a few months back and since then i haven't seen any (admittedly i haven't been looking but used to see them pop up from time to time)

Went to get a few pics of skittles today but shes gone into shed so will get a few after.

EDIT: Funilly enough a 3year old male ATB has come up for sale awaiting some pics of him.

There are currently many ATBs for sale so if you struggle give me a shout and will point you in the right direction.

Soldato
I would strongly advise against the habistat reptile radiator.

The new models have had issues where the units have failed, but have posed a fire risk. There is currently a trading standards investigation taking place. I know of at least two units locally to me which have suffered in the same way. My local shop has stopped stocking them because of it.

Also you know it is essentially just a heat mat in some ceramic casing.......

Soldato
I would strongly advise against the habistat reptile radiator.

The new models have had issues where the units have failed, but have posed a fire risk. There is currently a trading standards investigation taking place. I know of at least two units locally to me which have suffered in the same way. My local shop has stopped stocking them because of it.

Also you know it is essentially just a heat mat in some ceramic casing.......

Sounds like user error to me and possibly using them without a thermostat. All heating devices can cause a fire risk when not used correctly. They are nothing more than high powered heat mat in a shell made of a resin and fibreglass glass inside. The heating element is a carbon based one as with the newer heat mats.

They have been around for years and if they caused such a problem it would be all over the Internet. I can't find one source that states a problem and also heat mats used incorrectly will cause a fire too. It's simple heat plus flammable objects near by and a oxygen source = fire.

Can you show me the source please?

They are also used in hospitals these heat panels and other uses,not just a vivarium heater.

Soldato
The 2nd reptile forums link you posted are ones ive had my eye on already got some pics of them, others in Bournemouth are abit to fsr awag unfortunately.

The best place is the store I sent you as they also deliver animals to your door and they have CB17 ATBs which are perfect for you to learn with as they grow.

I noticed you were on the reptile forum and had a Boa with a RI problem, did you get that resolved before you got rid of it,when you had the landlord problem?

Also after you get the ATB stick to 3 snakes only as anymore will start becoming a husbandry problem if they become ill. That's why I was saying get something you really want to keep as a pet to its full life, don't use them as trading cards because they do become attached to their owners, some will disagree here but that just shows to me they don't spend enough time with them.

I also read you were worried about bites from the Boa at one and a half feet size, I hope you have got over the snake bite issues as that's all part of keeping snakes they do bite from time to time and some will always bite and known for it. ATBs,ETBs,GTPs,White lipped pythons, even Carpet pythons have a very painful bite (Morelia family, same as a GTP https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morelia_(snake), all these have painful bites) etc are very well known to be biting animals and the rare ones that don't but this is not the norm.

You stated also your Gopher snake is going threw a biting phase are you managing alright with that? Also is the Gopher snake behaving normally apart from that? Is it eatting, urinating and defacating as normal and shedding ok?

Snakes can become mean overnight when something is wrong or it's their time of the year sometimes. How old is the Gopher snake?

Also a heads up BRBs are also known to be bitey but they get used to their owners over time, one of the many reasons why they don't make a good starter snake.

If you have any problems do shout I will always help you with a snake issue,I have been threw it all and had to deal with it all from people that didn't take care of their snakes correctly, this is why I use to re-home them in past a lot as they get suddenly bitey and their owners are shocked and want rid of them and I get them and realise they are ill or not kept at the right conditions, then after curing the problems they become great pets again and some I even returned to their original owners after explaining the issues that caused the sudden changes they observed.

Remember ATBs are display snakes that can be handled from time to time (on a snake hook preferably, so to keep some distance between you and the snake, if it remains a nervous snake as most will), it's not a ball python or Boa, same applies to a GTP and ETB but the result with the last two is more serious to you as in painful bites and a lot stronger and faster snake. Reason I said ATB to you is because I see you have your heart set on a GTP or ETB and I wanted you to get use to the attitude of a snake with the same attitude as a GTP and ETB but easier to deal with first as a trial run to a GTP and ETB and ATBs are gorgeous snakes too that I know you will fall for big time once you keep it and may even start collecting the different phases they come in before you even consider a GTP or ETB.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Boa with the IR was treated before i moved him on, a friend of mine had him off me after the IR was cured.

It wasn't the fear of getting biten it was more of what does it feel like. In the end it tagged me a few times and it was no biggie. He calmed right down and didnt mind been handled, again another friend had him off me and he handles him all the time. The owner i had him off used to pin him down with a plastic tub lid no wonder he was always aggresive.

Gopher has gone back to been his usual self, not quite why he went like he did, he is eating shedding etc fine. Hes not struck since had him out last night actually.

BRB is a joy to handle i was expecting to get biten after reading comments on them but shes not ahown any aggression as of yet.

Soldato
Sounds like user error to me and possibly using them without a thermostat. All heating devices can cause a fire risk when not used correctly. They are nothing more than high powered heat mat in a shell made of a resin and fibreglass glass inside. The heating element is a carbon based one as with the newer heat mats.

They have been around for years and if they caused such a problem it would be all over the Internet. I can't find one source that states a problem and also heat mats used incorrectly will cause a fire too. It's simple heat plus flammable objects near by and a oxygen source = fire.

Can you show me the source please?

They are also used in hospitals these heat panels and other uses,not just a vivarium heater.

Nope - It's a design fault. This was reported by someone with over 30 years experience as a trader in the industry. The risk is very real. Speak to Kevin Stevens from Coast 2 Coast for the detail.

Soldato
The website is old and is currently being updated.

He hasn't dealt with Habistat since March when the second failure of its type was reported.

Back
Top Bottom