Show Us Your Racks

sdcuo6.jpg

I imagine this is where geeks go when they die

Or people wearing bright orange spacesuits go hunting for a strange black obelisk.... "it's full of stars"... :D

RB

Ok, Data centre manager has kindly passed on some 'unbranded' data centre pics.

To give an idea;
33,000+ servers
660 VM Hosts running 12,000 VM's (21,000Ghz total processor power, 74TB combined ram)
A few IBM mainframes

A few cabling pics

DSC02557Medium.jpg

DSC02554Medium.jpg

DSCF0163Medium.jpg

DSCF0158Medium.jpg

Sorry guys, work in a bank so this is about as good as I can get without being fired, imprisoned and possibly forced to know Brutas a little too well for anyones comfort :eek:.

RB

Fibre usually

Whats the yellow trunking for?

Yep, believe it is fibre in there from memory (The orange / blue cables in the second pic).

Most of the standard server infra is fibre with cat5/6 for workstation connectivity.

This one is a co-loc data centre, my fav is located on the 45th floor of a large office building. Great view :D.

Entry to both is via a tube airlock which feels like you are going to be shot out of a sub when locked inside.

The rooms are also damn cold. The server corridors to the front of the racks are have the underfloor aircon and the rear corridor has none (for obvious reasons). Gets pretty cold in there working on the servers. Would hate to imagine a lady wearing a skirt being there... frosty....:eek:. During periods of waiting I would stand behind the server racks to keep warm :).

Just to give a rough breakdown of servers by type as us geeks love geeky figures...
Sunfire 240: 1500
Sunfire 490: 780
IBM eServer BladeCenter LS20: 1700
IBM eServer BladeCenter HS20: 750
ProLiant DL585 G1: 920
ProLiant DL580 G5: 744
ProLiant BL460c G1: 1387
ProLiant BL460c G6: 2637
ProLiant DL380 G4: 1415
ProLiant DL380 G6: 1481
ProLiant DL385 G1: 1686
ProLiant DL385 G2: 947

Only groupings of over 700 servers and only machines queried in the last 7 days.

A quick and dirty query of the SMS server gave around 47,000 workstations but as it is only covering one area within the company I would tend to double that for a closer workstation figure.

FYI, I suspect the data centre manager was on-site when I emailed him and actually went in to the server room to take those pictures for me. Maybe he remembers what a PITA I was last time we met :D. Thanks to him if he ever finds this thread.

RB

Being surrounded by all those PE's would drive me insane, they aren't quiet at the best of times!

Yep, it was nasty. The best thing about the room was the air conditioning. In the summer when the rest of the building was really hot I was nice and comfy. :D

I don't miss the work environment at all.

I think a modern R610 with dual hex cores would offer better performance in 1U than that entire blade chassis. :p

(But would cost more :o)

Back
Top Bottom