Show Us Your Racks

Permabanned
An alternate view is you are saving the tax payer money through not having to pay for WEEE disposal. ;)

Where I work throws hundreds if not thousands of bits out every week to WEEE disposals. They pay us in some instances and if not it's F.O.C. Public sector. :roll eyes:

EVH you got any pictures of what your cabinet looks like now as that pic is old.
EDIT: Ignore found your house building final pictures.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Bit of a thread revival. Recently got a new job at a place where I've previously been contracted for network/server stuff, so I'm fortunate in the fact that most stuff there already is mine.

Just spent today tidying up the server room, moving from a 1/4 sat on the floor to this:
298424_10150444124615695_696930694_10506910_1310164923_n.jpg

Before anyone mentions it, the servers are at the top because we are at high risk of flooding - the UPS' do a good job of countering the weight, and the rack is stable.

The rack is also back to front as the "front" doors are split, allowing the rack to go further back, and thus enough space at the front.

An idea of what is in there, from top to bottom, left to right:
Quad core Xeon Domain Server,
Quad core Xeon Exchange Server,
Dell R510 Dual Hex Core Xeon, 32GB Ram, 8xSAS drives - ERM/Database server,
Quad core Xeon storage server with a total of 6tb available space
Dual hex core xeon render server
Dual Quad Core Xeon, 3x300GB SAS Drves - ESXi Server (Linux web server, monitoring server)
Dual core Xeon Firewall/router/transproxy
2000VA and a 3000VA UPS.

Currently ethernet comes from the rack on the opposite wall which contains the core switches (5x 1Gb fiber links around the site - just waiting on some 10Gb stuff to arrive, then the server rack will get a switch), VoIP system, and will house the leased line stuff when it arrives next week.

Last edited:

J.B

J.B

Soldato
I don't know where I got this from but I always thought good practise was to rack from the bottom up? Don't why I think that but I've always done it :confused:

Soldato
I don't know where I got this from but I always thought good practise was to rack from the bottom up? Don't why I think that but I've always done it :confused:

Well, if you read his post :p

Before anyone mentions it, the servers are at the top because we are at high risk of flooding - the UPS' do a good job of countering the weight, and the rack is stable

Permabanned

It is simple physics.

You have a rack that relatively, does not weigh much and is quite tall compared to it's base size - you do not want it to be top heavy, as it'd make it unstable and liable to topple over a lot easier.

My issue is the potential flood risk. The potential instabilities are somewhat countered by the two really heavy UPS' as low down as I dare.

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't think I've posted in here yet. One of mine:

imag0055nj.jpg

16x VPS Nodes, 1x Exchange Server, a few cPanel/LAMP machines and spare parts. The little machines at the bottom are Acer Revos, great little dev / non-critical boxes.

Soldato
What do you do for work celliott?

I work for a medical instrumentation company (Cameras) and look after the support side of their flagship system in the UK, Optics/Electronics and IT including Networking + MSQL etc.

Part time I look after a small hosting/server management business - hence the rack, which I started with a friend in 2006.

In a nutshell I work too much, but I'm starting to slow down a bit :p

Soldato
It is simple physics.

You have a rack that relatively, does not weigh much and is quite tall compared to it's base size - you do not want it to be top heavy, as it'd make it unstable and liable to topple over a lot easier.

My issue is the potential flood risk. The potential instabilities are somewhat countered by the two really heavy UPS' as low down as I dare.

all of the dell racks and the HP rack for the EVA we have came with heavy duty stabilisers for all 4 sides.

had 2 dell 2950 poweredge in the top of the rack extended on rails with no bother :D

not my pic but like this - http://www.stuartconnections.com/ebay/Server/Racks/4210_Stabilizer_Feet/DSC02188w.jpg

Back
Top Bottom