Show Us Your Racks

Soldato
Nice looking project :)

Here is our smallest suit, we only have 4 racks in there at the moment but we will have a max of about 8-10 racks in here, first rack is just some VXR's, Cisco 2800's and a couple of 2600's we needed out the stock room so I stacked them up on top of some UPS's for now until permanent storage or if they are to be used somewhere.

Thats two rows we took from the lorry

We have 4 more arriving tomorrow to fill our basement rooms, we could probably squeeze a few more in.

Thats not even going to touch the space we have upstairs :)

The hall, well think of a school gym where you can play 5 a side football :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Little update on the last one I posted:
Photo16-11-2011193342.jpg

Now with a GSM7328S Layer 3 switch (with a 10GB fiber link to the main office :D) Cisco 2800, IP PBX, Climate Monitor (with the all important flood detection!), Dell R210 running Backup Exec and an SAS LTO-5 tape drive.

And the (messy) comms rack opposite, which is mostly redundant now there's no telephone infrastructure in there any more.
Photo05-11-2011155521.jpg

Soldato
Can we keep this thread alive? pleeeeeease :D

Heres one of my rack:

and a couple of my newly acquired CCNA Lab :) Now I just need to work out what to with it all :( :p :o

I do have another router, but it arrived faulty so it has been sent back for replacement :)

Better start reading...

Associate
Helarda, where did you get that rack. Did you build it yourself, i was going to build one similar but didnt have the time in the end. If thats prebuild and can come with doors etc... let me know!!!

Permabanned
What makes this worse is that there is actually two different networks in this same cabinet and one of them is meant to be super secure network that is off the internet. I told the people that they need to sort it out because one wrong cable and you join the unsecure and secure network. But problem is that they don't have voip so if they fixed the cabling the phone system causes the cables to be moved around and it gets messy agian. So first need to install voip and fix cabling same time.

This is the back of the server rack :( so much heat build up at the bottom i tried to use some cable ties to increase airflow but needs to be all unplugged and plugged back in. You can see my famous sleeping spot on the right :D

Last edited:
Associate
What makes this worse is that there is actually two different networks in this same cabinet and one of them is meant to be super secure network that is off the internet. I told the people that they need to sort it out because one wrong cable and you join the unsecure and secure network. But problem is that they don't have voip so if they fixed the cabling the phone system causes the cables to be moved around and it gets messy agian. So first need to install voip and fix cabling same time.

This is the back of the server rack :( so much heat build up at the bottom i tried to use some cable ties to increase airflow but needs to be all unplugged and plugged back in. You can see my famous sleeping spot on the right :D

That in one word is laziness. It takes a few minutes longer to lay a cable in properly than to cause that by simply plugging in the two ends and dropping the cable down.

Seriously, people should get fired for letting that happen. Our company allows customer visits and imagine a customer being presented with that .... have some pride in your work man.

Not a dig at you directly, but if I were in your position I would bring it to management and let them decide the course. I bet a manager never sets foot in there, and if they did .... that would be candidate number 1 for the sacking.

Permabanned
That in one word is laziness. It takes a few minutes longer to lay a cable in properly than to cause that by simply plugging in the two ends and dropping the cable down.

Seriously, people should get fired for letting that happen. Our company allows customer visits and imagine a customer being presented with that .... have some pride in your work man.

Not a dig at you directly, but if I were in your position I would bring it to management and let them decide the course. I bet a manager never sets foot in there, and if they did .... that would be candidate number 1 for the sacking.

That was not my work, that was like that when i arrived. I walked in to the server room and it was worse than that, i have actually tried to clean it up a bit.

Like i said without having voip it makes the clean up kind of pointless because the next desk move cables will have to be moved around again. Which also makes the clean up difficult because the phone extention is dictated by the network cable that comes out the BCM. so if i unplugged all the cables on a weekend to clean it up it would be difficult to get them in the right ports again. i would have to label each cable etc.

I have already said to management that it is a p1 to get that cleaned up and they seemed apprehensive about moving to voip, but i couldn't stress the urgency enough with that.

Last edited:
Soldato
That was not my work, that was like that when i arrived. I walked in to the server room and it was worse than that, i have actually tried to clean it up a bit.

Like i said without having voip it makes the clean up kind of pointless because the next desk move cables will have to be moved around again. Which also makes the clean up difficult because the phone extention is dictated by the network cable that comes out the BCM. so if i unplugged all the cables on a weekend to clean it up it would be difficult to get them in the right ports again. i would have to label each cable etc.

I have already said to management that it is a p1 to get that cleaned up and they seemed apprehensive about moving to voip, but i couldn't stress the urgency enough with that.

Also having a secure network and un secure network so close together is madness.

Ours are on opposite walls with different colour coding so there is no way of getting confused....Looking after that would give me nightmares.

Permabanned
Tell me about it :(

Due to space constraints I advised at the least, if they must share the same cabinet to have the switches for the different networks not next to each other, so one set at the top and one set at the bottom. Ideally they would have separate patch panels and separate floor port boxes. But the place was only wired up for a single network and the second network was added later on.

I try to run ip scans on the internal network to make sure there are no mistakes but realy difficult, any suggestions?

Soldato
Tell me about it :(

Due to space constraints I advised at the least, if they must share the same cabinet to have the switches for the different networks not next to each other, so one set at the top and one set at the bottom. Ideally they would have separate patch panels and separate floor port boxes. But the place was only wired up for a single network and the second network was added later on.

I try to run ip scans on the internal network to make sure there are no mistakes but realy difficult, any suggestions?

Colour code
Tidy up

go man go! :D

Associate
and a couple of my newly acquired CCNA Lab :) Now I just need to work out what to with it all :( :p :o

Snip....
I do have another router, but it arrived faulty so it has been sent back for replacement :)

Better start reading...

Hi, slightly off topic and apologies for that. A question on your lab setup. what did you get? Where from and if I may how much?

How are you finding it? Fit for purpose?

I have the same reading material :D

A reply in my thread qwould be appreciated :D http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18400202

Soldato
Where I was working last summer, the messy rack!

AONuu.jpg.png

A new larger comms room got built and everything is now tidy! IT had no space so there were even loads of boxes in the comms room, was terrible! And as we were receiving shipments of dozens of 20" monitors, desktops and laptops... it didn't help!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom