Shuttle SZ68R5 Review

Associate
OP
Hi guys,

I've in my hands an Shuttle Sz68R5 with Intel i7-2600K and last bios 1.05

I added an other fan to better cooling, and push rpm in I.C.E. from bios.
This CPU works in other mainboard over 5 GHz.

I tried to overclock CPU and testing with prime95, first to 4 GHz and after 4.5 GHz, but to 4 GHz CPU starts to 40x but drops up to 3.7 GHz in maximum test, and after push to 40x.

It's a Thermal Throttling problem, in this bios I notice isn't possible change Watt power but I checked in BIOS the following option:

Power Limit 1 Value (1/8 watt), default 520
Power Limit 2 Value (1/8 watt), default 650

I increased about 960 (120W x 8) but the problem is the same.

I see this screen:
http://www.motormice.com/reviews/SZ68R5/reviewImages/image069.jpg

in this screen, there is a power technology setting, but in my bios this setting is no displayed. I downgraded to 1.04 but in this case the setting does not exist.

Congratulations on getting one :)

With regards the throttling... Its not temperature based, its all to do with power. I also found that the Power Limit values don't help in the Bios. If you read my comments on overclocking in the review you will see that I found a hidden bios setting which sets the maximum power the CPU can draw. Unless you change that it will keep throttling as the CPU uses more power.

Unfortunatly all my attempts to get Shuttle to allow us to change this setting in the standard Bios have been ignored so far... The only way is to modify the bios and enable this function.

Associate
OP
For anyone looking to mod the Bios I provide the following information, but you use it
at your own risk, if you mess up you may damage your Bios or machine.

I use AMIBCP version 4.53 to alter the Shuttle bios file. I have done this same process on 1.04 and 1.05. The only thing to note is that on 1.05 when I flash the machine will only display via the pci-e slot by default (not the intergrated)... not sure why, but just in case if using 1.05 and doing this ensure that you have a pci-e graphics card available in case the same happens for you.

Basically using AMIBCP you can alter the access to certain menu items. This does not work for all as it depends what is actually wired up.

In the Advanced > CPU Configuration section you will find an entry for Long Duration Power Limit. Simply change the Access from Default to User (I think this is the one that we want, but if you change from Factory TDC Limit down you will be sure to get the right one). Once the bios file is saved and flashed you should find the additional setting in your bios as per my photos.

Alter the Long Duration power limit - it defaults to 95w (displayed as 0), type in the value in watts that you want to allow the CPU to draw as a maximum before it will throttle (Remember this will increase heat significantly on both the CPU and VRM's)
I have mine set to 120w which seems plenty for 4.8GHz

AMI Bios.png

DSC05771.JPG

DSC05772.JPG

Hope this helps... but please, remember you use this guide at you own risk.

Last edited:
Associate
Congratulations on getting one :)

With regards the throttling... Its not temperature based, its all to do with power. I also found that the Power Limit values don't help in the Bios. If you read my comments on overclocking in the review you will see that I found a hidden bios setting which sets the maximum power the CPU can draw. Unless you change that it will keep throttling as the CPU uses more power.

Unfortunatly all my attempts to get Shuttle to allow us to change this setting in the standard Bios have been ignored so far... The only way is to modify the bios and enable this function.

yes, it isn't' temperature the limit, in fact in my test with prime95 I got max around 60°C. True limit is the Power Max Supply of VRM (only 4 phase for cpu, igp and dram).

yes, Therefore the only remedy is to modify the bios.
Can I ask you how did you change/edited the bios and displayed the hidden setting "Power Settings"?

EDIT:

I seen your new post, thanks for details

Last edited:
Associate
Can anyone tell me whether this case excepts m-ITX boards. I'm just interested for future-proofing purchases, although it's not a deal breaker. There was an argument earlier on that it couldn't, but then I found this line in a review:-

'...and this motherboard is no different being longer and wider than Mini-ITX. Great news for anyone looking to upgrade though, this machine is designed to accept a standard Mini-ITX motherboard as an alternative. There are two additional screw holes that can be populated with motherboard risers for the narrower Mini-ITX board.'

Review: http://www.motormice.com/reviews/SZ68R5/settingup.htm

Associate
OP
Can anyone tell me whether this case excepts m-ITX boards. I'm just interested for future-proofing purchases, although it's not a deal breaker. There was an argument earlier on that it couldn't, but then I found this line in a review:-

'...and this motherboard is no different being longer and wider than Mini-ITX. Great news for anyone looking to upgrade though, this machine is designed to accept a standard Mini-ITX motherboard as an alternative. There are two additional screw holes that can be populated with motherboard risers for the narrower Mini-ITX board.'

Review: http://www.motormice.com/reviews/SZ68R5/settingup.htm

Yes it can 100% take m-ITX motherboards. Shuttle have confirmed this to me and shown me photos of how it fits.

Associate
Just wondered as the specs on the shuttle website don't mention it.

"Socket 1155 (LGA 1155) supports the second generation of
Intel Core i3 / i5 / i7 desktop processors with up to 95W TDP
Codename "Sandy Bridge", 32nm process technology"

I've asked them by email, I'll post a reply here as this might be quite relevant for those wanting to build one with Intel HD graphics 4000.

Associate
Yay, mine has arrived today. :)

I see a 'spec me' thread in General hardware coming up. :)

It is a nice size, a little more compact than the P2 it is going to replace.

Associate
OP
The 680 is wonderful in the Shuttle.

Its much cooler and quieter that the 570 also about 1cm shorter and the Power cables are a little lower.

Performance is awsome.

An expensive upgrade, but superb

Back
Top Bottom