Sigma 35mm f1.4....?!!

Permabanned
Ooooo, pretty! I hope these were taken with the 35 art :p

e: cancel that, my card readers failing me :(

But of course! :)

These tea pots costs a fortune ! I wanted to get one in HK, would've got a set...but they are very nice !

About #200 IIRC, then the ceramic cups were another #50-60 for 6

Easy birthday present for the wife that I get to enjoy tooooo :D

Soldato
So...I still haven't bought the dock for mine yet.

This lens is used on two different bodies at the moment, are the adjustments on the lens or will it recognise different bodies? :)o this is new to me!)

Man of Honour
I spent the last few days checking mine to see if it still doesn't need any micro adjustment. A thorough workover has shown that I needed to apply - 1 MA. It looked virtually identical in sharpness to 0 MA but I noticed a CA difference when zoomed in 2:1 in my test images as - 1 had less or none.

Still, supreme lens.

Soldato
So...I still haven't bought the dock for mine yet.

This lens is used on two different bodies at the moment, are the adjustments on the lens or will it recognise different bodies? :)o this is new to me!)
iirc, the microadjustments are just in the body, so you'd have to do it for each body. To actually fix the lens then you'd need the dock. Even though I only have one body, I had to do +14 on my 7D, so I might get the dock just so future owners won't have to do it

Man of Honour
If you need to micro adjust and your body has it then use the body not to dock. I use the dock only to firmware update.

Reason being if you use the lens on other bodies they won't be calibrated for the same micro adjust so will need to change the adjustment on the lens again. There's a long blog post by lens rentals discussing this as all too often they had lenses sent back for being soft yet those people saying all their other lenses were fine. Turns out the lenses were fine and it was the lack of understanding on those users not using Microsoft o adjust where available!

Soldato
iirc, the microadjustments are just in the body, so you'd have to do it for each body. To actually fix the lens then you'd need the dock. Even though I only have one body, I had to do +14 on my 7D, so I might get the dock just so future owners won't have to do it

Except the degree of adjustment could be partly, or even largely, down to your body, not the lens.

From what I understand, the dock allows you to adjust the lens at different focal lengths independently, which is more flexible than the single adjustment the body permits.

Soldato
I used my camera on a tripod, with a bank note about 3nmtletres away, and used every single adjustment and took a picture. Then looked at them in post to see which was best!

Ah OK thought their might be a quicker way! Thanks.

Lens calibration not monitor :p

Ha I have a spyder 4 for my monitor but saw they did some funky kkind of looking focusing gadget!

Caporegime
Thanks, what's the easiest way to calibrate? Is it worth purchasing any of these tools offered online for calibration (spyder etc)?

print a focus chart:
http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/focus-chart

make sure you print at the right black level so the camera can only focus where it should (on the black not grey)

Put i on a desk/floor and put the camera on a very good tripod so the angle to the target is 45 degrees. This doesn't need to be exact but it helps to be close.

Then shoot away and keep adjusting. Obviously if it looks like the focus is way off then you can make a large jump in the microadjustment.

There are a few caveats. Sometimes lenses will return a different focus distance if focusing forwards or backwards. To correct for this what you need to do is pull the focus back to the minimum, focus, and then measure the focus error to get the forwards reading. Then push the focus to infinity, focus,and measure to get the backwards focus reading. Average the 2 readings together.

the other caveat is that lens can have different focus errors at different distance and different focal lengths (if a zoom). If the results are bad you need to send camera and lens off for adjustment, if the differences are small then you can average them out.

Soldato
Finally! :D

sigma35.jpg

Back
Top Bottom