Sigma 35mm f1.4....?!!

Soldato
Well as I wasn't in a position to get hold of the Sigma in time, I ended up renting a 35L for a wedding last weekend.

I ended up using it more than all the other lenses put together! It genuinely is an amazing focal length on full frame and the DoF the f/1.4 aperture provides is seriously useful. I also discovered during the evening disco that, wide open and at 6400 ISO, I can basically take pictures in the dark lol!

Definitely going to procure a Sigma 35 before my next gig!

Soldato
5D3

Yeah they were pretty noisy but with a little processing and then resizing down, they're totally usable, which is more than could be said for my 7D :)

Soldato
Oh yeah you wouldn't want to print them out at large sizes or anything!

I was only using ISO that high (even tried 12800 for a laugh) late in the evening when the only lighting was from the disco lights themselves. Although noisy, not resorting to flash preserved the colours and ambiance far better. Aside from that, I never really pushed the ISO beyond 2500/3200ish.

It was actually quite funny taking pictures in the evening as I was surrounded by people trying to take pictures or videos with phones or entry level DSLRs with kit lenses and failing miserably and who were totally bemused at how I was still managing to take usable pictures :)

Associate
Very pleased with my new arrival, so sharp wide open!

5700-1404036529-03b94fe8221790e95de6d4e56eaaac43.jpg

Soldato
Oh yeah you wouldn't want to print them out at large sizes or anything!

I was only using ISO that high (even tried 12800 for a laugh) late in the evening when the only lighting was from the disco lights themselves. Although noisy, not resorting to flash preserved the colours and ambiance far better. Aside from that, I never really pushed the ISO beyond 2500/3200ish.

It was actually quite funny taking pictures in the evening as I was surrounded by people trying to take pictures or videos with phones or entry level DSLRs with kit lenses and failing miserably and who were totally bemused at how I was still managing to take usable pictures :)

Amusingly I was mocked by a supposed pro during a 4 day music event I covered. Turns out he was telling anyone that would listen that I wouldn't get any decent photos not using a flash (which I had in my bag anyway). Looking at their photos and comparing with mine, mine were much better than theres with kit lenses and flash. It seems some people have a major inferiority complex when it comes to kit. There's a reason I spend a small fortune on the lenses I have, and the Art series aren't even a massive outlay compared to some other lenses!

Soldato
I'm 50/50 for this lens. Trying to convince myself to wait, as I don't really need it but the results from it are so amazing.

Soldato
Mine arrived today and, after being initially confused around its lack of sharpness, I realised that it just needed some focus adjustment (quite a lot in fact). After eventually sorting out this adjustment, +14 on my 7D, it is ridiculously sharp. Loving it!!!

Soldato
Buy mine *cough*.
I'm currently trying to figure out whether to buy a Sigma 35 1.4 or change my 17-40L for the new Canon 16-35L IS.

- I don't really need IS - high ISO on the 6D is so good.
- I feel the Sigma 35 wouldn't get used much.

Think I'll wait and see what, if anything is released in September.

Soldato
I'm currently trying to figure out whether to buy a Sigma 35 1.4 or change my 17-40L for the new Canon 16-35L IS.

- I don't really need IS - high ISO on the 6D is so good.
- I feel the Sigma 35 wouldn't get used much.

Think I'll wait and see what, if anything is released in September.
Why not get the 16-35 f/2.8 if you don't need the is?

Back
Top Bottom