Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
Very tempted by a new coffee machine looking at the De'Longhi Autentica ETAM29.510 or 620. Only difference seems to be the digital display.
Anyone know what the difference between the ETAM and ECAM models are, they seem to overlap a lot?

Also roughly how much beans in weight do they use per serving?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm looking at upgrading my coffee set up at home. Currently I have a Nespresso machine which is great for convenience but I'd like something with a bit more quality that I can try different coffees with and give me a taste closer to that of when I drink coffee out. I've had the Nespresso machine for a few years and it's basically cost me nothing and I can flog the machine to help fund the new one. I was looking at Gaggia Classics on eBay to keep costs down. Is the Skerton grinder decent enough for this or will manual be a faff? Is it worth going for an electric grinder?

Soldato
I'm looking at upgrading my coffee set up at home. Currently I have a Nespresso machine which is great for convenience but I'd like something with a bit more quality that I can try different coffees with and give me a taste closer to that of when I drink coffee out. I've had the Nespresso machine for a few years and it's basically cost me nothing and I can flog the machine to help fund the new one. I was looking at Gaggia Classics on eBay to keep costs down. Is the Skerton grinder decent enough for this or will manual be a faff? Is it worth going for an electric grinder?

I started with a hand grinder and I did find it a faff, I had a Hario mini grinder and I was fed up within a week. It ended up locking up on me too so I sent it back and went electric. TBH I'd say the electric grinder is the single best purchase you can make, not only for time and convenience, but it will have the biggest single impact on the end result.

I have the Gaggia Classic and it's a great machine, picked it up 2nd hand off ebay with a full service and extra improvements. For the money it's a great bit of kit. There are a few things to look out for though if you go down that route, have a good read around the different models as the latest are apparently not up to the same standard as years gone by.

...just realised jester has already said the same about the grinder ^^^ :D

Soldato
I started with a hand grinder and I did find it a faff, I had a Hario mini grinder and I was fed up within a week.

That's what I was worried about! May as well bite the bullet at the start and buy once. I'm in no rush to buy as I've got loads of pods to use, so I'll wait until the right one comes on eBay.

Soldato
Gumtree is a good/better resource, plus join coffeeforums as folks sometimes list deals they have seen that might be in your vicinity.
I sold a silvia via gumtree, using ebay would have been a nightmare, I did re-list on gumtree several times.

If you look back through postings, I did the calculation on how much pods cost; you could be breaking even on a £300 espresso machine after 3 years, but ymmv

Soldato
Speaking of grinders is anyone using the sage smart grinder pro here?

The newer model with 60 steps seems well thought of for espresso, anyone had a chance to use one?

Soldato
Haven't seen anything of the newer model, but the older one was 'ok' not going quite fine enough for some machines. The Sette 30 AP is about to be released and might be worth comparing against as they should be similarly priced.

Soldato
Thanks for that, something comparable with the results I get from my kyocera hand grinder would be great.

I'd went the delonghi all in one route and I'm far from a coffee snob but I just can't get as nice a cup as I had from the silvia.

Soldato
Looking to upgrade from my tassimo I just don’t enjoy them anymore.

However I’m not sure whether to get a nespresso machine or a grounds machine.

I’ve been looking around second hand and found several Delonghi icona micalite machines any have any experience with this or any recommendations for a new machine?

Associate
@robj20 - It depends a little bit on basket size, and personal taste, but somewhere in the range of 18g-22g is going to be where you'll end up.

@Street - Yes for electronic grinder. It's the most important piece of equipment for making espresso.

Rob is talking about getting an automatic bean to cup if it's anything like me Melitta it's probably more like 10-14g per coffee. I usually get around 20 coffees out of a 250g bag of beans.

Soldato

I’ve been looking around second hand and found several Delonghi icona micalite machines any have any experience with this or any recommendations for a new machine?

A second hand Gaggia Classic would be a good choice. It's widely considered the 'go to' entry level machine. However if you don't want to stump up for a separate grinder as well, I'd be tempted to point you at a used Delonghi Magnifica.

Man of Honour

Shame you're not local. I've got a Gaggia Classic that I'm looking to get rid of.

Back
Top Bottom