Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
I had never heard of tank - but looking at their website (where I could not see an explanation of their name - tanked=failed!) they give you free coffee : LOL
We give you more: We sell larger 400g bags not 227g commonly found in the supermarket
and it is in cardboard boxes, that fit through the letter box - I'm sceptical, what is that about ? they need to tell me what kind of interior foil packet is there too,
.... Maybe coffeeforums have an explanation ?
- sorry too cynical.

Definitely try Rave Siganture, with the introductory offer, and get a bag of the M&S from above and see which you&your pocket prefer.

Soldato
Decided to treat myself today... Pictures to follow tomorrow.

Not sure if it's the best value for money (probably not) but it seems to tick most boxes and sadly it had to look good (not my rules)

Sage Coffee Grinder bought :p

Espresso machine to follow - still not sure on what, part of me wants a dual boiler.

The thing I like about the Sage is it's quite easy to save presets and I often flick between pour over, french press and soon enough espresso

Caporegime
Going through the M&S single origin Columbian coffee now, definitely better crema on the espresso than the Italian blend. Great value at buy one get one half price which makes it just over £5 for 2 bags. That works out almost 1/3rd of what online places charge for a single estate coffee.

I might go stock a couple month’s worth this week.

Soldato
Think i will go and get some of the M&S stuff on my way home tonight, got an M&S food hall not far from home. So which is best for aeropress.

Man of Honour
Just tried some of the Ken Ya Believe It HasBean blend in my work V60. Really delicious coffee and well suited to V60/Aeropress. To be honest it put most of the espresso-based coffee I've had recently to shame.

Soldato
Sette 270W delivered earlier. May need some more beans by morning :eek:. Ummed and ahhed about which grinder for ages before plumping for this, especially with some reports of questionable reliability. In the end this is the one that ticked all the boxes for me and was affordable!
so how is the sette honeymoon going (with the poverty beans) - precise/fast/quiet/eye-candy - better work-flow. ?

M&S do not seem to have any online shop where you can see what (coffee) offers they have and how long they last - picked up another 2 Italians yesterday & only 1 left.

Soldato
Not bad, must have thrown away about half a bag of the M&S beans at least with dialing in the grind, choking the machine etc. But that's pretty much why I ran the M&S beans to start with :p

With the M&S beans, I had to have the grinder all the way to the finest setting on both micro and macro adjustments - but with fresh beans I can have it on 2/3 and dial it in from there using the stepless macro adjust.

With a fiddle of the offset/calibration and adjusting the portafilter holder on the grinder - I can get very consistent dosage into the portafilter +/- about 0.3g. However with a coarser setting for drip and grinding into the container it's a couple of grams out - but consistently so. So I've just set a saved dose for +2g what I actually want when I'm doing a larger amount for drip. The manual says the offset should be different for fine/coarse grinds - so that makes sense I guess.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with it - it's so much easier just plopping the portafilter on and and trusting it will dose the right amount. Plus, I can definitely tell an improvement in my espresso shots too - actually very noticeable.

Soldato
Overall I'm pretty pleased with it - it's so much easier just plopping the portafilter on and and trusting it will dose the right amount.
I was amazed, the videos show you get about 5g ground per second - real fast - 3x faster than Rocky.

The sette ap 30 looks a bit disappointing in comparison, no micro steps, but probably same motor and build quality.

We will be running a sale on all roasted and green coffee from Midnight tonight.
(Sale runs all day Tuesday the 24th October)
The sale runs for 24 hours, all discounted orders are sent 2nd class unless upgraded.
15% off roasted and green coffee*: use code: CREEPYCUPS
-The Team at Rave

Soldato
Is there any such thing as a good cheap manual grinder?
I used a Hario Skerton for a year or so. Burr grinder, perfectly decent. I think there's a Hario Mini that's recommended now?

I started with the Skerton for my Aeropress. I found the detachable rubber base eventually came a little loose and also the handle is prone to loosening too which meant it ended up slipping on the worktop and the handle needing to be tightened mid-grind, which wasted energy and time. Got the electric Wilfa grinder in the end but it was a good place to start off from.

Soldato
Yeah a hand grinder is a good place to start but it does get tedious after a while. I upgraded to a Baratza Encore eventually. Not mentioned too much on these forums as it's probably not quite "high end" enough for machine espresso, but for an Aeropress it's spot on. No complaints whatsoever.

Soldato
I've been getting to grips with my new Gaggia Classic and Eureka Mignon the last couple days.. I found a place near me (Neighbourhood Coffee) that roasts so went and got myself some Brazilian and Nicaraguan beans. I'm definitely just a novice at this at the moment but slowly figuring things out. It's a step up from my Nespresso that's for sure and not too much extra faff. I think I just need to get the hang of grinding the beans right as I'm currently pulling 60ml in about 15 seconds!

Soldato
Offer time from Rave coffee folks! (Until midnight tonight)

We will be running a sale on all roasted and green coffee from Midnight tonight.
(Sale runs all day Tuesday the 24th October)
The sale runs for 24 hours, all discounted orders are sent 2nd class unless upgraded.

15% off roasted and green coffee*: use code: CREEPYCUPS
-The Team at Rave

Soldato
Cant say i'm overly impressed with the M&S beans. I gave there Nespresso pods ago as well and while they are alright i'm convinced they are the same ones Costco sell, identical pods and the coffee tastes the same as well. But 3 times the price.
Im waiting in my order from Tank Coffee so will see what thats like.

Those using the aeropress and Hario grinder what setting do you grind at, think im on about 7 clicks open.

Back
Top Bottom