Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
Anyone have the De’Longhi Magnifica here? Tempted to chance one of the amazon warehouse ones at £195.
Nope but I have an autentica and it's been brilliant. Better than my Nesspresso machine and just as convenient, only minis point is it's not as easy to have different coffee on the go.

Soldato
What are the things that nromally go wrong with Delonghi Magnifica's? One fully working is full sale near me but its 6 years old, only £75 though so trying to work out if its worth a go.

Caporegime
Anyone have the De’Longhi Magnifica here? Tempted to chance one of the amazon warehouse ones at £195.
I've got one, ESAM 4200, and it's great. There's loads of chat / reviews / couple of videos about delonghi bean to cup machines in this thread: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/30218595.

It makes immeasurably better coffee than any pod type machine I've tried, whether espresso or milky drink.

Associate
Just got a Sage Duo Temp Pro, literally have only had time to run one coffee with it

It would seem that the taste of the coffee will vary depending on how long I run the machine for. Is that correct? I'm using pre-ground coffee at the moment as I have a roastery right near my work

If that is the case is there an easy way to know how long to run the machine for or is it a case of getting some measuring glasses to work it out?

Also, possibly noobish question but using the two cup portafilter is the equivalent to a double espresso is that right? So if I wanted a single shot espresso I should use the single cup portafilter?

Soldato
It would seem that the taste of the coffee will vary depending on how long I run the machine for. Is that correct? I'm using pre-ground coffee at the moment as I have a roastery right near my work

Probably need to check they are giving you an espresso grind - which can be a lot finer than filter ? and buy jit.

gram accurate kitchen scales should be good to measure the ~14g and can pre-measure what the level point will be in your favourite cups for the ~50ml level, which should be ~20s.
- cant' find an earlier post of mine that has a good table of mass/volume/time, from coffeeforums I thought.

- as per many comments in the thread, I too never mess with single shots or single pf, too unpredictable and not enough volume !

edit
• Necessary portion of ground coffee 7 g ± 0,5
• Exit temperature of water from the unit 88°C ± 2°C
• Temperature of the drink in the cup 67°C ± 3°C
• Entry water pressure 9 bar ± 1
• Percolation time 25 seconds ± 2,5 seconds
• Viscosity at 45°C > 1,5 mPa s
• Total fat > 2 mg/ml
• Caffeine < 100 mg/cup
• Millilitres in the cup (including foam) 25 ml ± 2,5
https://www.home-barista.com/knockbox/what-is-proper-volume-of-single-shot-of-espresso-t6036.html
27188447367_79fffef240_o_d.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Just been out and bought a Latissima Pro from John Lewis. This was to replace an old Bosch Tassimo machine which was past it's best.

Anyone else got a Latissima? What are your experience with pod selection? I like a full bodied coffee in a latte and I'm going to work my way through the welcome pack to find one I like. I'm considering grabbing some Starbucks pods too.

Associate
Recommendations for coffee beans? Has to suit both myself and the other half, she doesn't like chocolate notes and tends to drink cappuccinos, Im more of an espresso drinker and open to different flavours, quite like something with a strong taste though.

We've tried Rave coffees everyday and Italian roasts and she's not fond of either, currently using Morrisons Best Brazilian and seems to be more amicable. I would however prefer a freshly roasted bean rather than supermarket stuff.

Soldato
Recommendations for coffee beans? Has to suit both myself and the other half, she doesn't like chocolate notes and tends to drink cappuccinos, Im more of an espresso drinker and open to different flavours, quite like something with a strong taste though.

We've tried Rave coffees everyday and Italian roasts and she's not fond of either, currently using Morrisons Best Brazilian and seems to be more amicable. I would however prefer a freshly roasted bean rather than supermarket stuff.
Have you tried Rave's single origins? My favourite at the moment is this: https://ravecoffee.co.uk/collection...icaragua-buenos-aires-1?variant=3147105304602

I know it lists Chocolate but I don't pick that up personally. I usually drink as a latte/flat white

Soldato
I would however prefer a freshly roasted bean rather than supermarket stuff.
If you pick the dates in the supermarket, I don't think it is necessarily that old, since some of the sealed packets do exhibit significant off-gassing
(the packet blows up) which I attribute to recently roasted;
equally you cannot drink it for several days post roast (I would says a week) otherwise get uneven/too-fast extraction.

A quick google threw up this http://fellowproducts.com/understanding-degassing-is-fresh-best/
this also says gassing causes early uneven extraction .. did not know this, if its true.

Soldato
I seem to have a problem with my Gaggia Classic. The last few times i've pulled an espresso, the coffee starts coming through fine, then after a second or two, there's a hiss and a release of steam from the portafilter and the coffee just starts leaking through. It fills 2 shot glasses in about 5-10 seconds rather than the usual 20ish. Is there a broken seal somewhere I need to change?

Edit: Doesn't look like a grouphead gasket leak, could it be the supermarket bean I've bought?

Last edited:
Soldato
there's a hiss and a release of steam from the portafilter and the coffee just starts leaking through.
have you replaced/checked the pf gasket, otherwise, could be the over pressure valve (allowing too much pressure) - do a descale.
Should also back-flush it, but that is unlikely to cause the issue.

Soldato
have you replaced/checked the pf gasket, otherwise, could be the over pressure valve (allowing too much pressure) - do a descale.
Should also back-flush it, but that is unlikely to cause the issue.

Do I need to bother descaling if I've only ever used bottled water?

Soldato
Do I need to bother descaling if I've only ever used bottled water?
once evey 8 months say .. how long have you had it ? ... bottled water still has some minerals
backflush more frequently .. I do ~ every 2 weeks, and also, remove/clean screen+dispersion plate every 3-4 days.

Soldato
OK, well I've had it a year and only ever backflushed it a few times.
Time to order some descaler!

I've taken the grouphead apart, can't see anything wrong with the gasket, but I might replace it anyway. However the shower disc was in a desperate need of a clean.

Associate
Did you give the gasket a squeeze? If any cracks appear or it feels brittle then it's time to change it :)

I just had one of those Chinese copies of the OCD distribution tool arrive, I need to get the height set correctly but I'll report back if I feel it makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom