Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
Yeah I gave it a good clean and it still felt good, not brittle at all.
I've put it all back together and now no water is coming through at all, it's making a terrible racket too... :(
I'll have another look tonight, but in all honesty I can't see what I could have done wrong, it's not a particularly complicated process!

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Yeah I gave it a good clean and it still felt good, not brittle at all.
I've put it all back together and now no water is coming through at all, it's making a terrible racket too... :(
I'll have another look tonight, but in all honesty I can't see what I could have done wrong, it's not a particularly complicated process!

Does it sound like a jackhammer or a loud clacking sound?

This happened to my classic the other day. One of the spade connectors had somehow fallen off the solenoid valve and was only just touching it.

What I suspect was happening was you'd flip the pump switch, water would start pouring but the vibration of the pump caused the connector to basically bounce away and break contact from the solenoid. The pump would switch off, the connector would return back and touch the solenoid and then repeat.

Image stolen off Google but it's this little black thing I've highlighted here, you may have to bend a couple of wires out the way to see it properly:

E2ln5qM.jpg

is an excellent video on how to rebuild one if you want to check all your wiring. You'll probably have different wiring colours though, thanks America :p

Associate
Did you give the gasket a squeeze? If any cracks appear or it feels brittle then it's time to change it :)

I just had one of those Chinese copies of the OCD distribution tool arrive, I need to get the height set correctly but I'll report back if I feel it makes a difference.

Have you noticed any improvement? I've been tempted by one for a while but another variable just seems like too much at the moment!

Associate
Glad to hear it Egon :)

I feel like a distribution tool does make a difference, it's a quick part of the process of making a cup once you get the height set correctly. I have recently changed my tamper from 58mm to 58.4mm so it fills the basket better and I'm using some beans from The Barn that I'm really enjoying so it probably all contributes but I still feel like this is part of the process I will continue to use. I will test later this week with my bottomless portafilter so see how the pour is comparing shots with and without.

40864999640_4e8a02f3e3_c.jpg

I also got some bean cellars recently, so all my doses are ready to go and I never have to change the height on the distribution tool.

42673562431_cf45924861_c.jpg

Soldato
it's making a terrible racket too...
you do get a racket if the water/tank feed supply has been intermittent.

I feel like a distribution tool does make a difference, it's a quick part of the process of making a cup once you get the height set correctly
Do you use an on demand grinder direct into pf - tend to think these would clump more ??? versus doser alternative
(discussed in earlier post) does this distribution tool lock with a grub screw, or it has a tight thread ... was concerned the latter might self adjust as you twist ?

Associate
The jars were only £10 for 10 on ebay A friend of mine is knocking me up a holder for them and my other portafilters.

I use a Mazzer Major but single dose with it and use a modification to help reduce grind retention (basically a collapsible camera lens hood to push air through the chute, clearing out some grinds) Clumping has never been a problem for me though :)

The distribution tool locks with the top part of the handle turning (so a thread lock) So far it hasn't been a problem and I've just checked, it hasn't come loose but I'll keep an eye on it :) A grub screw would be a better solution though.

Associate
The jars were only £10 for 10 on ebay A friend of mine is knocking me up a holder for them and my other portafilters.

I use a Mazzer Major but single dose with it and use a modification to help reduce grind retention (basically a collapsible camera lens hood to push air through the chute, clearing out some grinds) Clumping has never been a problem for me though :)

The distribution tool locks with the top part of the handle turning (so a thread lock) So far it hasn't been a problem and I've just checked, it hasn't come loose but I'll keep an eye on it :) A grub screw would be a better solution though.
Ah the old lens hood mod, a classic on the Mazzers. I had a Kony E at one point, loved it to bits but they are so big and the missus wasnt a fan. Great tasting coffee though. Thanks for the link to the jars!

Caporegime
I'm hovering over the buy button for one of those distributors. Though my basket it hella deep I'd need like 15mm of reach from the distributor for it to be effective.. so now I'm musing over the idea of a new VST basket. Hmm.

Associate
Glad to hear it Egon :)

I feel like a distribution tool does make a difference, it's a quick part of the process of making a cup once you get the height set correctly. I have recently changed my tamper from 58mm to 58.4mm so it fills the basket better and I'm using some beans from The Barn that I'm really enjoying so it probably all contributes but I still feel like this is part of the process I will continue to use. I will test later this week with my bottomless portafilter so see how the pour is comparing shots with and without.

40864999640_4e8a02f3e3_c.jpg

I also got some bean cellars recently, so all my doses are ready to go and I never have to change the height on the distribution tool.

42673562431_cf45924861_c.jpg

The problem with setting the tool to one height, is that each bean will have a different amount of particles in the basket. Yes it will be 18g in there, but due to roast level it will not be the same height across different beans.

Associate
I see what you're saying, I'm not too concerned about it being perfect though. I have to dial new beans in on the grinder and it takes no time at all to adjust this too should the need arise :)

DJ_Jestar I use an 18g VST and prefer it to the ones that came with my Rocket.

Soldato
- no - 18g IMS is the true path

Unhappy with LaMarzocco 17g ridged basket , extraction typically too fast & inconsistent with about 15g dose and also wet puck ( lot of space above coffee) so tried a change to the IMS Italian option 18g but ridgeless and also has slightly convex base.
So far getting better results, was concerned that the ridgeless might drop out, knocking out, but holds fine with pf spring and yes I guess it does help for puck ejection.

I had emailed IMS to see if there was a UK supplier, but could not find anyone supplying ridgeless IMS in the UK (some folks sell the ridged) so I made several offers at this ebay seller, who also has a shop, but ebay was surprisingly cheaper.
Can get the VST brand ridgeless readily in the UK, but ~£20 seemed excessive, and utube review + threads sold ims to me.

Edit - this ims/vst comparison is no good, but the mirror is a great idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhaKSAdT1VA

Last edited:
Associate
Hmmm, I use an IMS showerscreen Iand like it so i might look into getting one of these as I could do with another 18g basket for my bottomless portafilter, thanks for the links.

Soldato
indeed - nice ... when you open it ...
so is the shower screen iridescent like some of the pictures is there still a wire grid, or single layer precision drilled plate, like a pf
(I have a metal dispersion plate with 6 holes above it and maybe a mm clearance with the screen, it is unclear how the plate helps/hinders too)

...and had not seen before but the tortoys site also has some interesting hoppers if you have a mazzer https://www.torrtoys.com/glass/#/glass-3/

Back
Top Bottom