Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Associate
I sometimes shop at Pumphrey's as I work in Newcastle City centre. Usually get a 100g sample as they have quite a lot to choose from so I can find a roast which I like. Kenya AA was one I tried recently which was quite nice.

I've seen TCC at Tynemouth market a few times but never tried them myself. Happy to support local businesses if their Coffee is what I'm looking for.

Pumphrey's do some great coffee's, I've used them for years. If you like dark and oliy their Espresso Crema is great, Old Man Java, Daterra Sunrise - all really good, but quite different depending on what you like.

The TCC 'Tynemouth Espresso' is great, I can certainly see that becoming my default bean. As a small business owner (nothing related to coffee/food/drink) supporting local is important to me as well.

Soldato
subsequently had a look at tcc - after thethering script blocker

they do not give much/any? distinction/description between coffees .. how am i meant to choose ? ... risk averse - poison=dark roast.
apart from your recommendations above; they don't seem to have a thread on coffeeforums.co... either.

If TCC is on your doorstep then I’d heartily recommend Baristocracy to try Nantucket.
ok - that was a different place .. not a tcc blend too.

43393102135_1653dcb882_o_d.jpg

Caporegime
Any recommendations on roasters?

I normally order from Rave, their coffee is lovely and it's cheap.

Is there anything at the same price:quality?

I was going to try squaremile, but its so expensive in comparison.

Man of Honour
Soldato
I mean if the quality of others is far superior I'm willing to try. But nearly 3x the price, I can't see how
agree (apocryphal) hasbean's in the past for #metoo, I think your monies going into advertising there.

(documented in earlier posts) - I got the coffee compass trial with coffeeforums voucher a while back, competive with Rave, otherwise asda.

Soldato
I always tend to go back to Rave after trying others. However we have a local shop in the town who Roast their own and at £5 a bag works out cheaper than Rave. They only do one blend at the minute though, it's lovely but it means but I'll still be using Rave for a change every now and again.

Caporegime
I think it's time to move on from the Aeropress, I'll keep it in the cupboard for the odd brew but I need something that makes a black or Americano a bit more speedily without the cleanup. I've had my eye on the Sage Barrista Express in the hopes the AO ebay store would get them in again for £380 but isn't looking likely.

Soldato
I need something that makes a black or Americano a bit more speedily without the cleanup. I've had my eye on the Sage Barrista Express in the hopes the AO ebay store would get them in again for £380 but isn't looking likely.

Keep an eye on ebay store - sometimes pop up on there - battered box etc.

My Sage has been going strong for about 2.5 years now - 2 or 3 cups a day, not a single issue.

I still use https://www.pactcoffee.com/

https://www.pactcoffee.com/coffees/fruit-and-nut-espresso - favourite one by far. Still get it at £6.95 as a "founder" price.

Caporegime
If you just want black/americano, and something simpler than aeropress, I'd strongly advise against an espresso machine. They require quite a lot of maintenance, they aren't quick because they take 15mins+ to warm up properly, and it's also generally quite a fussy process to get the extraction right.

If the aeropress is proving to be too much work, I'd turn to a drop filter which is marginally easier for cleanup - i.e. just tip it into the bin and rinse instead of "popping" the puck out of the aeropress and then faffing putting things back together.

Associate
That's good to know .. Do you use bottled water ? ... what kind of cleaning/de-scaling regime ?
I have had my sage for a couple of years and it also has been trouble free, same kind of use 3 or 4 cups a day.
Bottled water is best as my water is hard as nails.There has been a few times we have used just filtered water and it has been ok.

As far as cleaning it is really simple, it's automated place an insert into porta fillter add cleaning tablet (£10 for large tub amazon) and hold down two buttons, the machine does the rest.A light comes on to let you know when it needs cleaning, but i do it once a week any way.
I normally descale once a month, once again easy process.

Soldato
As above - no issues with tap water here, cleaning is once every 6 months or so. Just whenever the machine tells me. Simple process.

Would buy another in a heart beat.

Soldato
Regarding water; we found our water gave tea a funny taste so had been using brita filtered water for years. But last year we bought a filter that fits to our cold tap in the kitchen and it's been great so far. Only cost about £30 I think from screwfix, and the filter lasts around 6 months @ about £10-15 a go. Worthwhile investment if you want better water than mains water.

Soldato
Any recommendations on roasters?

I normally order from Rave, their coffee is lovely and it's cheap.

Is there anything at the same price:quality?

I was going to try squaremile, but its so expensive in comparison.

I've just been using Union because you can have them send you different stuff every month and I like trying new things rather than sticking to the same thing.

I think it's time to move on from the Aeropress, I'll keep it in the cupboard for the odd brew but I need something that makes a black or Americano a bit more speedily without the cleanup. I've had my eye on the Sage Barrista Express in the hopes the AO ebay store would get them in again for £380 but isn't looking likely.

Same boat. I have the Wilfa grinder and might eventually go for their coffee maker if there's a sale somewhere:

Takes up more room than the Aeropress as well.

Back
Top Bottom