Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
OK Folks, not posted here in a while so just a heads up for all you Londoners.
I Popped into this place in Camden on Tuesday for some Kenyan AA. Been here 40 years with the same man, so he must be doing something right. beans are Hand roasted in a hundred year old drum roaster by said man. Google maps and Blogs on the internet about this place more or less say the same. This is the 2nd or 3rd bag of Kenyan on filter at home (my morning pick-me-up) this year. I'm impressed and it's got better as it's cooled. I can see why the queue was out the door and the shop has been there 40 years. Give it a try whenever you visit Camden.

ZCayeKj.jpg

5QB3Wiw.jpg

Soldato
One mans meat is another mans faff

look like sage are cleverly attacking the nespresso and the millenial/gen must have it now market.
I can't see how this 3s heating mechanism is meant to warm up the portafilter and produce decent espresso,

maybe there will be some good deals on the duo pro and express models, which I fear, they will replace,
with provision of a wifi switch those could be turned on the machine, with sufficient time to warm up.

edit. warm up ...

So, after reading the newbies section of the Home Barista I decided to run a temperature analysis on my Breville Barista Express BES870XL. I'm not entirely sure what to make of the results and so I thought I would post them and see what other people have to say....

I used a digital food probe inserted in the portafilter immediately under the basket to take temperature readings.

_at 5min after switching on the machine I pulled a shot (with coffee): temperature reading 73.4°C

Switched off machine for an hour.

_at 5min after switching on the machine I flushed the group and portafilter, THEN I pulled a shot (with coffee): temperature reading 82°C
Left puck in group head!
_at 10min, discarded puck, wiped clean portafilter, flushed group only, pulled a shot (with coffee): temperature reading 85°C
_at 20min repeated as above: temperature reading 85.4°C
_at 28min repeated as above: temperature reading 85.4°C
This time I discarded the puck after last shot.
_at 35min wiped clean portafilter, flushed group only, pulled a shot (with coffee): temperature reading 85.7°C
I discarded the puck, removed basket and took reading inside portafilter (with no coffee) at 40min: temperature reading 90.5°C

Last edited:
Associate
It depends what you want. Sure, it is expensive compared to Aldi beans - but it is much cheaper than going to a coffee shop. Also I didn't spend hundreds (some people, thousands) on brewing equipment to ruin it with cheap beans. (Ruin IMO of course, you may really enjoy them)

Man of Honour
Panama Geisha by any chance?

Can't remember what it was off the top of my head, but it was a super small lot of an unusual process for that farm. Think it was just 1 or 2 bags of green beans produced as well. Will have a look later on see if I can find it exactly later on.

Man of Honour
Is that a walk-in purchase? Never seen anything that pricey on HB :)

Was actually on the store for a while. Was a few years back now. I was sent it as a thank you for something I did, along with another bag from the same farm that was slightly less *about £15 iirc* but a different process.

Soldato
Just had the Rave sale delivery Roasted two days ago -

For newly roasted beans and espresso use, does anyone just wait 5 days post roast, say, before attempting shots ?

I usually try some immediately, but inevtiably there is some waste trying to establish an appropriate (finer) grind, and,
I am not convinced taste is necessarily better in the early days - smell from off-gassing of the beans for sure

EDIT: just read the invoice which does suggest 7 day wait filter, 10-12day espresso

Back
Top Bottom