Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
Has anyone seen this? The tinkerer in me wants it. I was considering a modest bean to cup machine at Christmas but I wouldn't use it enough. With this, i still wouldn't, but I'd have the fun of building it!

Hey Mugsy, Raspberry Pi - powered, open source software controlled, DIY bean-to-cup machine for ~£150:

www.heymugsy.com

Soldato
Need someone to give me a quick sense check on something.

I have a DeLonghi Dedica machine and have been pulling espresso shots for a little while now, and it recently dawned on me I wasn't quite sure what volume of shot I was pulling.

For an espresso shot in the morning I always use the double basket filter and then press the double button on the machine into my single mug, for myself. In my mind that's creating a "double" shot, but then I pondered... does it potentially mean a "quadruple" shot instead? Which is it?

Hopefully I'm not talking madness and someone knows what I'm trying to say/ask...

Thanks!

Soldato
Need someone to give me a quick sense check on something.

I have a DeLonghi Dedica machine and have been pulling espresso shots for a little while now, and it recently dawned on me I wasn't quite sure what volume of shot I was pulling.

For an espresso shot in the morning I always use the double basket filter and then press the double button on the machine into my single mug, for myself. In my mind that's creating a "double" shot, but then I pondered... does it potentially mean a "quadruple" shot instead? Which is it?

Hopefully I'm not talking madness and someone knows what I'm trying to say/ask...

Thanks!
I doubt the machine knows which basket you've used, so I daresay you use the single basket and "single" button for a single shot and respective equivalent for double!

It doesn't really matter what size cup you use as long as it doesn't overflow ;)

Soldato
Ordered myself some Rave coffee Signature and Chatswood while they had a discount code.

Been using Lavazza mostly which is nice enough.

Associate
Recently started grocery shopping online so have switched from the Lavazza beans, which are available in the local supermarket to Union Espresso blend (which looks fancy to me) and gotta say I'm enjoying the change.

Only other treat for me would be Monmouth's espresso blend whenever I'm near Borough market.

Soldato
this is possibly the most ridiculous question I have asked before but....
can anyone recommend a brush for cleaning grains out of the portafilter? I was in a hipster coffee shop the other day and the guy was using a little brush to clean out grounds after knocking out, this would be ideal for our office machine as you're generally doing a couple in a row and I've found that rinsing it out with water seems to get all sorts of drips/water retention in the portafilter thingy!...

Soldato
I was in a hipster coffee shop the other day
they're style over function.

a few grounds left in the pf aren't a problem, a coffee shops probably got the grind dialled in with a dryer puck than an office machine/non-pros
if the office machine has a reasonable boiler size, its easier to just run water through the pf to heat the next cup,
empty the pf with residual water into the sink with any remaining grounds, the moisture evaporates quickly after that, ready to receive the next charge.

Back
Top Bottom