Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Associate
Anyone fancy recommending me some beans to try?

I've recently had beans from Rave, Square Mile, Foundry, The Barn. Enjoyed them all but fancy something I've not tried yet. I tend to prefer medium to darker roasts, South American with nut or chocolate type notes.

Caporegime
Yeah I posted about mine a few pages ago, after someone else recommended/talked about theirs - this was it:

500g 58mm Espresso Coffee Distributor Tool Macaron Coffee Leveler Tamper with Three Angled Slopes Non-slip Thread for 58mm Portafilter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0788M5HS9

Use it daily. Immeasurable value to me now, there's just no way I could ever be as consistent without it.

Caporegime
Yeah I posted about mine a few pages ago, after someone else recommended/talked about theirs - this was it:

500g 58mm Espresso Coffee Distributor Tool Macaron Coffee Leveler Tamper with Three Angled Slopes Non-slip Thread for 58mm Portafilter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0788M5HS9

Use it daily. Immeasurable value to me now, there's just no way I could ever be as consistent without it.

I see them with a sharp edge, soft edge and one with like a single blade so 2 sides as opposed to 3 blade design.

The one i saw on Youtube is the Jack which is £130...a bit too much for something simple.

I actually like the look of this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/espresso-d...KAKAA8MXXNWQ&refRID=CXJ64VC0KAKAA8MXXNWQ&th=1

Soldato
I don't see how the 2blade will be as stable and good at levelling ... on aliexpress/ebay (see earlier OCD discussion in this thread) more like £15 too.
I didn't finally sign-up, as my dosing/Rocky grinder, does dump a uniformly distributed charge, across pf, versus, the on demand grinders, with a narrower/chute delivery.

On the otherhand, was looking at some/a replacement Motta shot glass https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074KHKHS6 to replace my borken blue Lavazza one,
Until I read up, I had not realised absence of glass espresso cups, is predominately because glass conducts heat too well versus ceramic ... the double walled ones are a bit delicate in the hand.

Caporegime
I don't see how the 2blade will be as stable and good at levelling ... on aliexpress/ebay (see earlier OCD discussion in this thread) more like £15 too.
I didn't finally sign-up, as my dosing/Rocky grinder, does dump a uniformly distributed charge, across pf, versus, the on demand grinders, with a narrower/chute delivery.

On the otherhand, was looking at some/a replacement Motta shot glass https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074KHKHS6 to replace my borken blue Lavazza one,
Until I read up, I had not realised absence of glass espresso cups, is predominately because glass conducts heat too well versus ceramic ... the double walled ones are a bit delicate in the hand.

Don't you set the depth with the sides and it levels that way and the blades is there to spread.

Also put in a new gasket, group head and shower screen today and descaled it.

Soldato
if it's clumped, at all, initially, it's more likely to pack it more densely in some areas with just 2
some have a grub screw, others rely on thread tightness too maintain depth

Soldato
pour .. that's why I need a new shot glass, ... and probably, unleash the bottomless portafilter.
I see motta have an expensive new £40 leveller .. can't see an equivalent design on aliexpress though. for peanuts.

... some good, 20% off, warehouse deals for bean 2 cup machines, why do they bang so many of their boxes

Soldato
I decided I wanted to make espresso at home just before Christmas, picked up a good deal on a Sage DTP and the SGP. It didn't take me long to produce some drinkable coffee. I have been improving my shots, but not my milk frothing or latte art, I still fail here.

I've been enjoying it so much that I've already upgraded the grinder, today I took delivery of a Niche Zero. I'd love to get a better machine next too.

IWm9726.jpg

Caporegime
I've been eyeballing the niche zero for a while now. It's a shame it came up at £500 and not the £350 originally suggested but none the less I have only heard and read good things about it. That is certainly the kind of grinder I'll be replacing my mazzer mini with when it gives up.

Soldato
looks interesting - now bedtime reading of 192 pages from coffeeforums
https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?46467-The-Niche-Zero-user-experience/page192

so were there different burr manufacturer options ... seemed to be some discussion i've not yet understood.

the stainless (?) inlet manifold !? + turned wood/oak base looks nice
.. I use a cloth to protect the pf from drippping on a butchers trolley the grinder+machine live on, & getting to the knock-box

Soldato
It is currently still on indiegogo, I was worried the price might go up more if it ends up at retailers. There was no options apart from the colour.

My biggest want was the low retention and it really is great, apparently it will also improve as the burrs are seasoned. I didn't think I'd be able to taste any difference but I can, even Lavazza beans taste good and my current Pact coffee has also taken a whole new level.

Caporegime
It is currently still on indiegogo, I was worried the price might go up more if it ends up at retailers. There was no options apart from the colour.

My biggest want was the low retention and it really is great, apparently it will also improve as the burrs are seasoned. I didn't think I'd be able to taste any difference but I can, even Lavazza beans taste good and my current Pact coffee has also taken a whole new level.

I am tempted, as on paper it does all that I need. I often switch between espresso and V60 day to day, only make 1 cup at a time and really after something better than the Iberital. MC-1 for ages now but all the machines i've liked has only a Doser which I don't want. I just want direct to a portafilter really.

Caporegime
What kind of criteria do you have, @Raymond Lin ? There's loads of doserless options out there. My Mazzer Mini, for example, is the doserless variant ("Type A"). All the favourites are doserless - Vario, Baratza Sette, Rocky, etc.

If money isn't a concern then the Mahlkonig EK43 or K30, or if you want to spend really silly money then something like the Ceado E37z Hero.

Back
Top Bottom