Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
Wow.

What an upgrade from an aero press. Even with a cheap burr grinder, the difference is unbelievable!

The only problem is staying away from lattes now!

Anyone with a classic are the baskets 14g? Originally put 17g in and getting it closed wasn't really possible.

Does it have to base wand or the upgraded one? If it doesn't get on amazon right away and get the rancilo steam wand and do that mod. I've never done it but everyone recommends it and for only £15 it seems a worthwhile upgrade.

Caporegime
Does it have to base wand or the upgraded one? If it doesn't get on amazon right away and get the rancilo steam wand and do that mod. I've never done it but everyone recommends it and for only £15 it seems a worthwhile upgrade.

I shall have a look, no it's the original one. Trying to perfect my espresso first.

It's really made me want a proper grinder now! :/

Soldato
how much coffee are you now using(& personally drinking!) a week then ?

picking your brains - so do you have a filtered/softened water supply for your machines .. what kind of maintenance schedule do you need.
Still trying to optimise my scale/de-calcification process, but one of the problems, is making sure you have flushed out all the acid, before resuming normal service, so,
I am currently syphoning the boiler .. what do the pro's do ?

Sorry for the slow reply mate.

Were using anything from 10-20kg a week at the moment.

As for cleaning. The recommendations are if you not turning the machine off for at least 8 hrs then you might as well keep it on. Thats would help with furring up.

We clean ours everyday. Only takes a few mins. We use a small amount of https://www.nextdaycoffee.co.uk/sto...MI2fyi1qe64wIVFODtCh2UVw1CEAQYBCABEgJBxvD_BwE
Pour a teaspoon amount inot a blanked porta filta and hit the cleaning button. This is almost like a normal extract process but it does an "extract" and blow back 3-4 times. We then run a clean/empty clean cycle to flush out any cleaner. And then a good wipe down.

We also have a chuffin big filter.

Soldato
yes I also use pulycaf backflush ... but more like bi-weekly with a much lower throughput. ...
I keep forgetting was going to try adding some citric acid powder too, and maybe kill two birds ..., for the grouphead and solenoid pathway,

Soldato
a new tipple, to often accompany, the evening espresso shots .. any personal favourites ?

48329368946_4b77041e59_o_d.jpg

Caporegime
On holiday and there's no coffee machine, only a moka stove top pot.

I was initially a bit disappointed, thinking a moka pot was ancient and wouldn't cut the mustard, but wow...it makes incredibly strong tasty coffee even with pre ground from a supermarket.

Soldato

I was initially a bit disappointed, thinking a moka pot was ancient and wouldn't cut the mustard, but wow...it makes incredibly strong tasty coffee even with pre ground from a supermarket.
You're joking, they're the OG of proper coffee! Just quite a lot of faff and take a lot of patience :) Never liked waiting for the moka to boil...

Soldato
I've just got back from spending two weeks away from my machine, luckily I managed to find some good espresso while I was away.

I had beans delivered last week so they were ready to go for when I got home. Just had a lovely espresso using ethiopia yirgacheffe, impressive stuff.

I didn't think I'd ever like espresso straight, without adding milk or water, but I was very wrong. Done right espresso is an awesome experience.

Caporegime
Yirgacheffe is a region in Ethiopia, there are many farms there so you may need to be more specific :)

And yes, same experience for me regarding good Espresso being a serendipitous experience. I always figured it just wasn't for me until I got my own machine and really nailed the calibration and poured a superb double.

Soldato
Yirgacheffe is a region in Ethiopia, there are many farms there so you may need to be more specific :)

And yes, same experience for me regarding good Espresso being a serendipitous experience. I always figured it just wasn't for me until I got my own machine and really nailed the calibration and poured a superb double.

I see, they don't actually say the farm on the site. I bought it from Redber as part of the African coffee taster pack. I'm yet to try the others. I also got 1kg of Colombia Los Olivos.

Also have the following that I need to collect from the post office after missing the delivery.

Region: Boquete, Chiriqui
Cooperative: Cafetalera Fernández
Farm: La Fortuna

And a roast that the Austrian roaster calls Vöcklabrand.

Soldato

I had the same last year. The place we stayed in only had a Bialetti but I'd taken my Aeropress. I ended up just using the Bialetti and even bought myself one when I got back! This year when I went away, I just took the Bialetti. :D

Soldato
Little update on how our workhorse is going

Since we opened on the 25th March our machine has made 3344 Drinks, That includes pots of Tea and hot chocolates.

1008 Teas
711 Latte
682 Americano
449 Cappucino
200 Flat whites

Not long to go and the Machine will have paid for itself in just hot drinks Not counting the extra cakes etc.

And no I still can't do any Latte art but my staff can..yay
oh and the website is up

http://www.thepavilionsouthport.co.uk/

Still needs a few tweaks but its getting there. Damn and a couple of links dont work and spelling..Dang spelling mistakes

Caporegime
I'm actually surprised it's that economical to buy a multi-pot machine. I always figured it was more suitable to lease with a maintenance contract. :)

Also obligatory mention that if I'm ever in the area I'll be popping in for a cup and one of those fry-ups, they look amazing.

Soldato
I'm actually surprised it's that economical to buy a multi-pot machine. I always figured it was more suitable to lease with a maintenance contract. :)

Also obligatory mention that if I'm ever in the area I'll be popping in for a cup and one of those fry-ups, they look amazing.

They still make money on the lease and its yet ANOTHER bill coming out each month. At least this way its ours and if looked after should easily last 10 yrs or more. I can't believe its paid for itself in 3 months though.

The breakfasts are stunning..Even if I do say so myself. The most repeated compliment apart form how good the Black pudding is is that fact that the plates aren't greasy and full of fat like normal Full English's

Soldato
indeed - breakfast picture looks good ... assume you can have breakfast at lunch no 'falling down' ..
maybe I missed the sausages' pedigree, and, would have liked to see a picture of the pancakes+maple option - personal weakness

Back
Top Bottom