Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
So we're thinking of taking the plunge on a proper coffee machine now, but I am a total novice.

I'm happy to learn how to make good coffee, so don't mind the machine not being fully automated. We have around £500 to spend and we're looking some of the Sage models.

Any recommendations? I realise this probably get asks all the time here
Sage Barista Express. Standard version, not the one with auto tamper.

Soldato
So we're thinking of taking the plunge on a proper coffee machine now, but I am a total novice.

I'm happy to learn how to make good coffee, so don't mind the machine not being fully automated. We have around £500 to spend and we're looking some of the Sage models.

Any recommendations? I realise this probably get asks all the time here

Yeah, bit thread i think near the top too and most ended up with the Sage Barista as the option. I was close to buying one but the key factor for me is 2 full cups of coffee rather than adding in extra water etc, so went with a drip style machine.

Associate
In the end I've stretched the budget to 625 for a refurbished barista touch impress.

Kev gives it really decent reviews and I think it's suited to what I really want from it. Ie barista coffee with minimal input. For 625 I thought it was a fairly good deal, can't wait to get it now

Soldato
I was in London yesterday with my neice from Oz, so whilst exploring we found Kiss the Hippo. I very rarely drink outside of home so this place was pleasing to the eye and they had a load of Single Origin beans, which is always my preference. I normally like my medium-dark roasts so I thought I'd stray away from that and try their Honduras single origin with fruity notes.

I had a double espresso of this stuff and was seriously impressed with the fruity notes. My neice who has very similar tastes was also blown away.

Managed to snap pic of their setup as I was leaving. Should have done so when we went in as they did have a lovely selection of gear.

iORTLag.jpg

Soldato
Backflushing HX this am, some pass through of water via the group seal - guess that's the first indication it needs replacing, probably 4 years/daily use.

milk foaming mara/appartimento - I had tried to switch from a 4->2 wand to reduce pressure but ultimately found it was my technique that was poor,
mainly needed a bigger pitcher, but have also found that dried milk powders I use can give very different results;
Nestle milk is great but much finer Callebout powder just doesn't develop with as fine a foam, or volume.

Associate
quick question with those that have Decent coffee machines, do you keep trying different coffee "programs" or is it a case of once you get over the fun of playing with a new machine, you end up just dialing in 1 or 2 coffees and using it as a standard machine ?.
I've always loved the idea of one and always said if i get a bit of spare cash ill get one, but now the time has come i'm leaning towards one of the newer lever style machine that have come out

Associate
quick question with those that have Decent coffee machines, do you keep trying different coffee "programs" or is it a case of once you get over the fun of playing with a new machine, you end up just dialing in 1 or 2 coffees and using it as a standard machine ?.
I've always loved the idea of one and always said if i get a bit of spare cash ill get one, but now the time has come i'm leaning towards one of the newer lever style machine that have come out
You will undoubtedly play around a lot. If you're a set and forget kinda guy or strongly traditional when it comes to the style of your espresso then go lever and don't think twice.

I change up my beans most months (4 bags) and tend to profile hop based on that. Extractamundo dos or allonge for lighter roasts, adaptive or londinium for mid roasts, classic 9 bar or 80s espresso for the darker stuff. During the week I just need to it to work and want a shot of something nice in-between teams calls so stick to tried and true. On the weekend I might have play with the some of the new community profiles getting hype or try fine tune a current bag.

If you want to save a few £££ they sell refurb machines..they have a trade in scheme for current users and will refurb and resell for a discount. They have a Market place or bazaar sub forum on the website think Miriam can grant access. If you don't mind spending a few quid there's also after market upgrades you can get from companies like sworksdesign , he invented a drip tray that integrates with a Bluetooth scale which is a nice luxury.

Soldato
Looking to upgrade my grinder.. currently have a Eureka Mignon Manuale. It such a solid grinder and produces great coffee. However it's fairly noisy and the bellows that I bought for it is basically broken so doesn't really push out grinds that well anymore. I could buy another bellows, but also my dad currently uses my hand grinder that I let him borrow and he's said sometimes he's lazy and cbb to hand grind, so I was thinking I could give him this machine (he'll just use the hopper and do an approximate dose as he just uses the aeropress), and then upgrade my machine.

I single dose, and only have medium/dark roasts with chocolately notes and low acidity, and 99% of the time have milk based drinks.
Looking at other Eurekas, they have the Specialita, Zero and Oro. But for the price of the Oro, I could get the Niche Zero. Is that still the 'best' grinder for around £500?
Or is there anything still just as good for about £300?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Looking to upgrade my grinder.. currently have a Eureka Mignon Manuale. It such a solid grinder and produces great coffee. However it's fairly noisy and the bellows that I bought for it is basically broken so doesn't really push out grinds that well anymore. I could buy another bellows, but also my dad currently uses my hand grinder that I let him borrow and he's said sometimes he's lazy and cbb to hand grind, so I was thinking I could give him this machine (he'll just use the hopper and do an approximate dose as he just uses the aeropress), and then upgrade my machine.

I single dose, and only have medium/dark roasts with chocolately notes and low acidity, and 99% of the time have milk based drinks.
Looking at other Eurekas, they have the Specialita, Zero and Oro. But for the price of the Oro, I could get the Niche Zero. Is that still the 'best' grinder for around £500?
Or is there anything still just as good for about £300?

DF 64 mk2, or even the smaller DF54 would be good. The 54 is £250 even.

Last edited:
Soldato
DF 64 mk2, or even the smaller DF54 would be good. The 54 is £250 even.

That looks good, can even get for £230 it seems. It would save £300 over say the Niche. I've not seen anything about them. Will do some research, thanks. I wonder if the DF64 is worth the extra?

Caporegime
That looks good, can even get for £230 it seems. It would save £300 over say the Niche. I've not seen anything about them. Will do some research, thanks. I wonder if the DF64 is worth the extra?

Honestly, the only thing I think the DF64 is worth it over the 54 is the more common burr size. So you can get after market burrs easier. I think the quality of the cup is very similar.

Soldato
Theres plenty of YouTube reviews up now for it. I was very tempted by it due to the price. I has quite a slow grind speed due to the size of the burrs, but other than that reviews are mostly positive.

Not long been informed that my DF64V has been slightly delayed to mid-July. The company I have purchased from (UK reseller) were very apologetic but advised they have been getting dictated to by the manufacturer as they are undercutting a larger UK reseller so they think stock is being intentionally re-routed to the bigger seller with the higher price. The guy was very apologetic, offered a refund if I wanted one but explaained they are a smaller business, selling at a cheaper price and the only other UK reseller is the company that is the causing them issues. I've told them I'm more than happy to wait and would rather support a small business.

Back
Top Bottom