Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

I'd want to see the 54 build quality to compare with your Eureka - otherwise just a sideways move.
though, I hadn't realised there were espresso capable eurekas, as Manuela seems to be, at circa £200.
new grinder on the market circa £250 looks a nice piece of Chinese manufacture - aluminium milled, low retention, would need to handle it in the flesh though.

still don't think I'd significantly improve the grind of my modded rancilio rocky changing to a newer £500 grinder

Does anyone have the 'funny coffee scales' and a Gaggia Classic? Just wondering if they fit on the standard drip tray or if you need the extended one from Shades (currently on offer so thought I'd get one).

Does anyone have the 'funny coffee scales' and a Gaggia Classic? Just wondering if they fit on the standard drip tray or if you need the extended one from Shades (currently on offer so thought I'd get one).

You will need either bottomless PF or a lower profile drip tray.

cxKvl1Eh.jpg

Last edited:
Now I am back in the Espresso game...but still like my filter. I want to get a better (more ergonomic) hand grinder, under £100. So I can have 1 grinder for 1 type of coffee.

I like the look of the 1Zpresso 2Qs, any other to look at?

I was going to fork out and get a Fellow Ode Gen 2 but that seems excessive.

Did you get a Q2 in the end Raymond?

I'm tempted because it will be good for travel and pair nicely with my Aeropress, but the Kingrinder K6 keeps coming up as a (bigger) alternative.

Lance Hendrick recommends both of them, depending on your usage. He says the grind adjustment on the Q2 is more fiddly and it obviously holds fewer beans, but I've read some reviews of Kingrinders that suggest the build quality isn't as good as 1Zpresso.

Did you get a Q2 in the end Raymond?

I'm tempted because it will be good for travel and pair nicely with my Aeropress, but the Kingrinder K6 keeps coming up as a (bigger) alternative.

Lance Hendrick recommends both of them, depending on your usage. He says the grind adjustment on the Q2 is more fiddly and it obviously holds fewer beans, but I've read some reviews of Kingrinders that suggest the build quality isn't as good as 1Zpresso.

Not yet, life has taken a turn since I posted that and I am in serious saving mode at the moment and just have to use what I have (which is decent anyway).

Will be reparing my Sage Barista Express for the second time later. The vibratory pump has gone twice now :(

It's not too bad at £20 for a replacement part, but it's fiddly and time consuming to replace so if it happens again I'll probably just buy a different machine.

Last edited:
You will need either bottomless PF or a lower profile drip tray.

cxKvl1Eh.jpg

Thanks Raymond!

I do have a bottomless PF, I was hoping I'd be able to get a mug under there with both the PF and low profile as I'm not usually just an espresso drinker and pouring into another cup is an extra step for prep. Adds up when you're making multiple cups per day. Looks like it fits well onto the standard size drip tray. My current scales don't fit well.

Does anyone know of any decent coffee/espresso flavoured sweets? I've found one from E.Wedel which was a 100g coffee box but there weren't that many in there. Thorntons do a Coffee Cream thats well regarded but I've had zero luck finding it down here at various superstores.

Will be reparing my Sage Barista Express for the second time later. The vibratory pump has gone twice now
can open them up and usually find the problem - I bought a new pump and have subsequently swapped them at least a couple of times, after thorough cleaning -
I think it was some grit/calcium carbonate.
you can find diy video in this thread/on youtube.

Does anyone know of any decent coffee/espresso flavoured sweets? I've found one from E.Wedel which was a 100g coffee box but there weren't that many in there. Thorntons do a Coffee Cream thats well regarded but I've had zero luck finding it down here at various superstores.
Hoffman just did a video on this

Highly recommend this one.

Great taste

I have those scales as well. The only issue I have is the modes don't seem to work as intended. The timer doesn't always start when it starts registering weight. So I just manually start the timer.

--------

I looked into the DF54 a bit more, and I was umming and ahhing as people do say it is slower at grinding, plus not as good build quality as Eureka. And I don't know how quiet it is. I use a Specialita at work so know they are reasonably quiet. I ended up looking on FB marketplace and the bay for any Eureka and Niche Zero grinders. Niche Zero was coming up for about £300+ but none nearby unfortunately. I managed to find someone relatively local selling a Eureka Mignon Zero for £220 which I thought was a decent price. So I got that today, works very nicely! :) I've bought a 54mm dosing cup that should arrive tomorrow, hoping that the size fits ok in the forks!

Back
Top Bottom