• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Silly to buy a 1080ti now??

Soldato
What's the point of delaying benchmarks so long after the launch announcement? All I can see happening in these unknown weeks is fewer GPU's being purchased as everyone just waits to see what happens. Surely that delay just impacts profits?

Shifting pre-orders before people realise how poor the performance hike will be. Then shifting old 10 series stock when pre-orders are shipped and everyone’s disappointed. That’s my guess anyways.

There’s also rumours that retailers in America will actually receive the RTX series at MSRP rather than with room for margin. So prices will actually be sold higher than MSRP from anyone other than Nvidia. This started when the Titan was only available through NVs own store; are we seeing a move towards NV selling direct to the customer by any chance? The twin-fan cooler, limited stock, punishing those who don’t absorb old 10 series stock, and potential for significantly higher prices from AIBs..... could NV be looking for even more margin... nooo, they wouldn’t..... It’s also possible they’re pushing partners and vendors towards a rebate-based scheme, if one isn’t in place already.

Vid here anyways. Skip to 4:30 for the relevant content.

No idea how true it is, but it’s not something I’d put past them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wanton here is whats funny.

There is these stories of nvidia sitting on loads and loads of unsold gpu's.

Yet gibbo is telling us he is struggling to find stock to buy.

This could possibly indicate nvidia didnt initiate the shortage but rather the AIB's did, not taking these gpu chips and been very conservative in the quantities they provide to retailers.

Or.... Someone is misreporting.

Associate
It will never happen, you will be lucky if they drop under £600 new let alone £350, not exactly like 1080Ti is in ample stock its still very restricted, NVIDIA are sold out, most board partners have very little so in essence there is no stock as such to clear out and as such no major price drop will happen, they will simply sit at the price they are at until they are gone.
They already have !

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...cs-card-gx-34f-ms.html?campaign=affiliate/tag

Associate

This could possibly indicate nvidia didnt initiate the shortage but rather the AIB's did, not taking these gpu chips and been very conservative in the quantities they provide to retailers.

There were reports of NVidia forcing retail partners to take the old stock off their hands as a condition for being part of the RTX launch. If that is the case then NVidia themselves might well have cleared their own stocks, but it doesn't take into account the stock retailers are now holding.

Soldato

From what I understand the AIBs returned them to Nvidia. Nvidia signed an agreement that the AIBs who agreed to take old 10 series stock would have primary access to RTX series cards.

AIBs are probably putting this loss off for as long as possible, and it’ll probably only be certain AIBs who agreed. I’d guess it was either OEM boards, or chips.

So I’d expect we’ll see some brands, or some brand variants (the most profitable ones) in greater stock, especially those who don’t use custom boards. They’ll also focus the old 10 series stock in the strongest markets, so we won’t necessarily see loads of stock in the UK, or specifically for OCUK. Though I’m sure OCuK would be one of the UK companies to take the most stock, if they want it. Perhaps AIBs will approach vendors the same way NV did them; want RTX cards? You’ll need to buy 10 series too.

If all this is turns out to be true, I’d imagine this whole debacle is the primary reason that RTX is so obscenely expensive. I’d imagine it’s also a nice test of the water for NV to see just how much they can charge for new cards; we might not even see a sensible price drop if enough people buy them. Though I do hear they’re going to be very limited stock.

For what it’s worth, an excess of stock seems likely to me, so I believe it. But none of us have access to the numbers, so time will tell.

Last edited:

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Or the rumour of all this excess stock of 10 series floating around could be of the lower end skus from 1070 and below (which is what Gibbo seems to be saying with the 1080/1080ti going EOL and the AIB's just focusing on 1070 and below).

Backing up this theory, wasn't the orders due to the notion that mining demand would continue? And weren't the 1070/1060 lines better ROI than the 1080/1080Ti? If so this would also back up what Gibbo mentioned

Caporegime
yeah heard the rumours myself about loads of series still about in stock not sold. im guessing some places like ocuk will probably snap a load up and do like they normally do with end of line cards.have a big sale. who knows that upto them.

the new 2000 series people should hold off on them. maybe big drops then quite quickly. this has happened before when nvidia has tried and amd. as above im sure they may limit what is available to keep prices high and seem the normal then introduce more with people just accepting the new nvidia pricing scheme. the cards shouldnt be priced as they are. they are just 1080,1080ti market replacements.sit in the same position yet nvidia are demanding nearly double there actual pricing sector.

Soldato
Or the rumour of all this excess stock of 10 series floating around could be of the lower end skus from 1070 and below (which is what Gibbo seems to be saying with the 1080/1080ti going EOL and the AIB's just focusing on 1070 and below).

Backing up this theory, wasn't the orders due to the notion that mining demand would continue? And weren't the 1070/1060 lines better ROI than the 1080/1080Ti? If so this would also back up what Gibbo mentioned

Very possible mate.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I wonder if the new prices, which were initially quoted in USD, were focused on the US market and took into consideration the new import tariffs that took effect today, contributing to the big increase in price versus Pascal cards? After establishing US prices, the normal conversion to GBP and Euro has been done, despite the fact the tariffs don't apply here.

To be fair, is anyone surprised? Despite some comments about that Pascal cards were reasonably priced, I certainly recall many discussions on how the price had jumped significantly from Maxwell, especially comparing the 970 and 1070... but nVidia got away with the price increases 2 years ago, and they are trying it again...

Soldato
I wonder if the new prices, which were initially quoted in USD, were focused on the US market and took into consideration the new import tariffs that took effect today, contributing to the big increase in price versus Pascal cards? After establishing US prices, the normal conversion to GBP and Euro has been done, despite the fact the tariffs don't apply here.

To be fair, is anyone surprised? Despite some comments about that Pascal cards were reasonably priced, I certainly recall many discussions on how the price had jumped significantly from Maxwell, especially comparing the 970 and 1070... but nVidia got away with the price increases 2 years ago, and they are trying it again...

Pretty much spot on. Though I don’t doubt tariff prices will be directly reflected in the rest of the world.

I have both decried the price increases and said they were fair. IMO the RRPs of Pascal were a shock, but given the strong improvements over maxwell and the weakness of the pound I think they were to be expected. It was mining and Ram ‘shortages’ that drove them into the realms of madness imo, just where NV likes them.

I’m really, really hoping the 1080ti drops more in the next few months and I manage to nab one at a good price before they all go. But I’ve decided not to give in, and pay nearly RRP for two year old tech that’s been superseded. I don’t need an upgrade, and I’m willing to wait to see how things settle. If it takes waiting too Navi, then that’s what I’ll do.

I genuinely believe current pricing is almost entirely down to NV and how they’ve managed excess stock and launched Turing. You’ve got to give it to them, they really know how to milk the money cow.

Associate
Despite some comments about that Pascal cards were reasonably priced, I certainly recall many discussions on how the price had jumped significantly from Maxwell, especially comparing the 970 and 1070... but nVidia got away with the price increases 2 years ago, and they are trying it again...
I seem to remember the 970 being regarded as really good value for money, even cheap considering the performance. Nvidia will have noticed that and acted accordingly.

Soldato
It should be, I have a custom water loop, so will fit it with waterblock.
I had 680 for six years now also water cooled , but needed to upgrade, it is showing its age with 2GB VRAM :p;).

Man I’m quite excited for you. Watercooled 680 to watercooled 1080ti, you deserve such an epic performance bump for being so patient :D

I missed what resolution you game at?

Back
Top Bottom