Sim racers - what are you running?

Soldato
I was looking at either Cube or Augury as well, seliing my GT3 rim and fullconversion kit to fund it.

The total time I spent building it, 15 mins :). Total time configuring it, 10 mins. :) Honestly it's a breeze..

Soldato
Nice rig Steve and should be even better when you get your DD. Lack of instructions isn't limited to Trak Racer - the instructions for the Sim lab is similar as it just has a list of the parts and a picture of it built and that's about it. Glad you're another 80/20 / Alu profile convert - there really isn't anything better.

Associate
Great thread. Been looking to replace my old G25/Generic frame which I had to get rid of after moving house 3 years ago. Salivating at some of the setups in here, unfortunately most way beyond my budget but I'll get something sorted :)

Soldato
Great thread. Been looking to replace my old G25/Generic frame which I had to get rid of after moving house 3 years ago. Salivating at some of the setups in here, unfortunately most way beyond my budget but I'll get something sorted :)
Where are you mate, I have a GT Omega rig that I cannot get rid off, no seat on it, but you could pick one up from a scrappy for a few £s..

Also, added wind to my rig now.
Two Noctua industrial fans at 3000rpm each pushing 157cfm, its like the Antartic at full pelt :)

p-VJj-GMt-IQIa-Ykq86-Cn-N-g.jpg

Had problems with the black PLA so switched to other stuff, might paint them later, but as right now i'll leave it be.

Associate
Where are you mate, I have a GT Omega rig that I cannot get rid off, no seat on it, but you could pick one up from a scrappy for a few £s..

I'm near Newcastle.. cheers for the offer but the reason I got rid of the original stuff still stands (lack of space). However I'm thinking VR allows me to squeeze a bit more out of my tiny room, as I don't need the space for monitors. Looking at some sort of decent wheel stand and an Oculus Quest. I know there's better out there but if I get the quest it can come downstairs, the family can have a play etc. Makes it easier to justify to the better half :)

Soldato
I'm near Newcastle.. cheers for the offer but the reason I got rid of the original stuff still stands (lack of space). However I'm thinking VR allows me to squeeze a bit more out of my tiny room, as I don't need the space for monitors. Looking at some sort of decent wheel stand and an Oculus Quest. I know there's better out there but if I get the quest it can come downstairs, the family can have a play etc. Makes it easier to justify to the better half :)

No problem mate.
I'm going to keep it for a month then bin it if no one wants it, so if you change your mind let me know and I'll get it to you somehow!

Soldato

Also, added wind to my rig now.
Two Noctua industrial fans at 3000rpm each pushing 157cfm, its like the Antartic at full pelt :)

p-VJj-GMt-IQIa-Ykq86-Cn-N-g.jpg

Had problems with the black PLA so switched to other stuff, might paint them later, but as right now i'll leave it be.
Where did you get them air flow straighteners for the fans?

Soldato
Hey guys, I'm thinking of picking up a CSL or CSW with the metal desk clamp since I'm pretty limited on space at moment, just not sure if CSW is worth the extra cost, I'll be picking up CSL pedals + loadcell with whatever I buy

Soldato
I'm way out of league in here, but hope someone can help.
Looking for my first wheel setup, thinking about the G29 or T300rs. What can you recommend?
The T300 looks a better wheel, but worse pedals than the G29.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Anybody here running simucube? I'm a little confused with the wheel options available for it and want to weigh up the options of going fanatec clubsport / fanatec DD /another DD option.

I'll throw a rig update in here soon as I've added over the past few months to the point where I feel like my setup is really only lacking a shifter and a higher performance wheelbase

Looking for my first wheel setup, thinking about the G29 or T300rs. What can you recommend?

Imho, the t300 punches well above its weight as a wheelbase. I changed the pedals out as the standard ones are really not great. Brilliant for getting you up and running but not feasible as a long term solution for improving. Changing them to the CSL LC was a game changer for me despite the pedal set costing more than my t300 wheel.

As an overall package the Logitech is probably a better bet. You can always sell the whole lot on and upgrade if you feel it's lacking.

Last edited:
Soldato
Having owned both, the T300 wheelbase and wheel upgrade options are on another tier. The G29/920 feels like a toy with its geared FFB mechanism. The FFB feel and consistency are just far superior. but like you have said the pedals (T3PA) are nothing to write home about, functional at best... there are mods available but nothing that will make them great. I bought the T300 off a mate knowing I was going to upgrade the pedals and eventually replaced them with HE sprints, just in time it seemed as the day before I received the Sprints the TM pedals piled in. I'm not suggesting that you go out and buy sprints, they are expensive, and there are some more sensible and affordable load cell options like rjk mentions the CSL's or TM's T-LCM however my opinion is still out on TM's offering until I get hands on.

Only opportunity and the ever increasing drive for realism and immersion has forced me to upgrade the wheel base to direct drive (add to that a drunken night and a "mate" who "talked me" into it), as there is nothing wrong with the T300 and I could probably happily carry on using it, the t300 is a great wheel that has helped my sim racing no end and made me a much more consistent driver.

Soldato
Anybody here running simucube? I'm a little confused with the wheel options available for it and want to weigh up the options of going fanatec clubsport / fanatec DD /another DD option.

Hi Mate
You shpould look at the sim-plicity wheel bases, great value for money and if you pre-prder even better. I currently run a 10NM SC+ model and its an amazing base for the price I paid. They are releasing a new V3 model soon and it is meant to be incredible for the price they are looking to charge.

If it ws between a Fanatec, Simucube or Sim-Plicity I would bet you would't be able to feel the £600 difference in price.

@steve45 The wheel is amazing mate, the buttons have great feedback, the encoders could be better (not £300) in price difference to a cube though. The grips are really thinck, so if you have small hands then don't go for it, I knew that after watching the Sim Garage review on it on youtube. The shifters and clutch arent magnetic, but they actiually do feel better when you are shifting with them. The software is mental, so much you can do, I don't use anywhere near half of it as I am a VR user, the clutch pedlas can use the dual release sytem like an F1 car, so let one go fully the slowly release the left one and you get 0 wheel spin. Took me a while to get it setup as the makers didn't releise that you could do that with them using the software. For the privce compared against any other wheel, it is right up there with the best of them.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
I'll throw a rig update in here soon as I've added over the past few months to the point where I feel like my setup is really only lacking a shifter and a higher performance wheelbase

totally forgot to do this, but gone from the setup as it stood in this post here from July last year to as it stands now.

Like many of us, my place of enjoyment is now also my place of employment...

Additions are:
  • updated my system from a 4th gen i7 & 1070Ti to a 3700X & RTX 2080 Super
  • got rid of the AKG/Modmic setup and went for a Steelseries Arctis Wireless Pro headset
  • Changed my Aego M speakers to a cheap soundbar which I would really like to replace for something that isn't totally crap
  • replaced my custom Ducky Mini for a new Ducky Mecha Mini
essentially made everything black and tidied up the cables. In terms of Sim racing related stuff, I added:
  • Fanatec Handbrake
  • Asus ROG Swift PG348Q Monitor
I'm planning on adding the Fanatec Clubsport shifter with Simlabs mounting plates for that and the handbrake as well as some Simlab side mounts to add some adjustment to the seating position.
Then I will replace the T300 wheelbase at some point.
Priority is to change my desk to something thats less Ikea.

sorry this is a bit of an info dump but I'm bored out of my mind.

jBR2gefl.jpg
KXIzvWjl.jpg
iKBKCz1l.jpg

Back
Top Bottom