Sim racers - what are you running?

Associate
I recently bought the GT DD Pro, really liking it so far but I’ll probably upgrade the brake pedal for the load cell kit and swap out the rim.

I was using the G29 previously and the switch to a direct drive wheel base has been a much larger difference than I expected, feels far more accurate than the G29 and thankfully a whole lot quieter.

Not the biggest fan of how the rim looks but ergonomically it feels pretty good.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Trox @GSXR Gaz Mc I went with the boost kit. Supposed to be very much like the more expensive models. You don't get the smaller PSU in the box though which is a bit naughty, they swap it out.

Cheers, due to the time delay on the 5nm it's in my mind to order the 8nm version.

In my cart...
CSL DD, Clubsport V3 pedals and McLaren GT3 Wheel.

As I don't use the shifter on the g27 that can wait.

Your setup looks mint, if only I had the space! I'm looking at possibly 32" GSync compatible screen, if I can get it positioned close to the wheel I'd be happy I think...

I was using the G29 previously and the switch to a direct drive wheel base has been a much larger difference than I expected, feels far more accurate than the G29 and thankfully a whole lot quieter.

I think the Logitech wheels are all generally the same as my G27 is pretty loud when it's up and going! Granted, it still performs really well I think though.

Last edited:
Soldato
What started out as buying a wheel to put on my office desk has turned into something which is getting out of hand lol

I've got my wind sim nearly finished. Just waiting for some airflow covers to arrive. Have to admit, it's much better than I was expecting to the point when it's not running I feel like somethings missing.

Just some final bits now to finish off now.....think I've said that before..

p3bBk6p.jpg

QXHlqIu.jpg

T5l4Tbu.jpg

Soldato
I used Noctua 140mm industrial fans for my wind, 3d printed the air flow tubes. I had tried flexi tubes with a step down from 140 to 120mm, just never gave me the airflow I wanted.. I can't race in shrots now as they point from below my monitor are a freezing cold :)

Your next step is an 80/20 rig.... Night and day from the rig you have.

Soldato
I used Noctua 140mm industrial fans for my wind, 3d printed the air flow tubes. I had tried flexi tubes with a step down from 140 to 120mm, just never gave me the airflow I wanted.. I can't race in shrots now as they point from below my monitor are a freezing cold :)

Your next step is an 80/20 rig.... Night and day from the rig you have.

These are 190cfm I think, which give plenty of air. Even more when my covers arrive. I really need to stop now lol I only bought that rig as I wanted the front part only to go under my desk.....then it kinda went a bit crazy.

Soldato
Don't worry about it mate, just wait until triples, an ultrawide, 80/20 rig, upgraded wheels, rumble speakers (which btw you should use sim hub and an auduino for) wy cheaper than a shop bought one...

Soldato
TheOracle, your setup looks excellent mate.
I'm only just starting out but I guess it's only a matter of time before it becomes a money pit, that's if it isn't already getting that way :cry:

Soldato
TheOracle, your setup looks excellent mate.
I'm only just starting out but I guess it's only a matter of time before it becomes a money pit, that's if it isn't already getting that way :cry:

Thanks, it's a slippery slope for sure. I've enjoyed building and designing it as much as I have playing it :p

Soldato
Does anyone know if the Fanatec metal quick release upgrade is worth it for the CSL DD?
No. There is a well known tolerance issue with the ball notch on the release that creates clipping in certain situations. The plastic one is actually better for the most part.

Also note that Fanatec are releasing a QR2 next year that aims to improve a lot of issues...so I would wait if you really want it a metal release.

Last edited:
Soldato
Order placed for...
CSL DD (8 Nm)
CSL Elite Steering Wheel McLaren GT3 V2
ClubSport Pedals V3 & Performance kit

Spent an hour on the phone trying to get my CC company to let the payment through the fraud checks... In the end I gave up and used PayPal with the barclaycard as default payment card, should have just done that to begin with.

The wait begins!

Soldato
Order placed for...
CSL DD (8 Nm)
CSL Elite Steering Wheel McLaren GT3 V2
ClubSport Pedals V3 & Performance kit

Spent an hour on the phone trying to get my CC company to let the payment through the fraud checks... In the end I gave up and used PayPal with the barclaycard as default payment card, should have just done that to begin with.

The wait begins!

Worth it :D

Just some advice on the pedals. Not every game supports pedal rumble out the box. You need to download fanalabs from the fanatec forum. Just have it running in the background to make it all work. You can use simhub instead (needs usb cable, see below) but fanalab just works straight away without needing any settings.

also.....never use both the USB and RJ11 cables for the pedals at the same time. Just pick one and stick with it. I used the USB cable for the firmware updates, and then unplugged it and used the RJ11. Fanatec say having both cables plugged in together can damage the circuit board.

Associate
My G29 broke over a year ago followed some months later by house renovation work starting , the net result is im away from simracing all that time and itching to get back.
Now that all the work is complete i have put in my order for a GT DD PRO bundle, basically a CSL DD , i wanted just a standard CSL DD with mclaren GT3 wheel and better pedals but id be looking at another 3 months for some parts and 6 months for others so i jumped at the GT DD PRO bundle once it said for shipping.
I will mostly likely get the mclaren rim later along with loadcell brake pedal kit, meanwhile i cannot wait to experience a DD wheel for the first time in my favourite sims.
I got email on the 23rd that it will be shipped soon and it was at warehouse processing so hopefully after the xmas break it should be on its way.

Back
Top Bottom