Sim racers - what are you running?

Soldato
What is Fanatecs warranty like in the UK? Want to get the csl DD 5nm but currently out of stock so looking at the 8nm instead, but it's quite a lot of extra money for just a power supply. That's probably why the 5nm is out of stock...
It's a 2 year warranty.
I had the same issue when I ordered back in December, 8nm available in Jan or 5nm in June... It made my decision to go for the 8nm.

Soldato
Just upgraded to the GT DD 8nm and it's been good so far. Only things to watch out for though is the wheel that comes with it has the cheaper plastic QR mount system. There's some movement and flex in it so not sure how long it would hold up to a lot of use. I purchased the McLaren GT v2 wheel with metal QR1 and it's much more robust.

The csl loadcell brake kit upgrade would be a good shout as well, much nicer to use than the default one on the 2 pedal kit but it all starts to add up.

Associate
Not sure what to do

Bit nervous about fanatec, after reading on their forums, their customer service seems a bit unresponsive and it can take a long time for rmas.

Therefore thinking to go thrustmaster and get a ts-xw for now with a sf 1000 and loadcell pedals, then when thrustmaster bring out their direct drive get that. And can get most of it from amazon which have obviously great return policy.

Soldato
@smeemi
The SF1000 won't be in stock until June and there'll apparently only be 150 units available for the UK. I'd be surprised if there's any left after all the current pre-orders are fulfilled.
Have you considered alternatives like the Moza R9 + Moza GS rim? https://abruzzi-official.co.uk/moza/

I have a Simagic Alpha Mini from Abruzzi. Their customer service is excellent.

Associate
@smeemi
The SF1000 won't be in stock until June and there'll apparently only be 150 units available for the UK. I'd be surprised if there's any left after all the current pre-orders are fulfilled.
Have you considered alternatives like the Moza R9 + Moza GS rim? https://abruzzi-official.co.uk/moza/

I have a Simagic Alpha Mini from Abruzzi. Their customer service is excellent.

Thanks will take a look

Was thinking of just getting the sf1000 from ebay going for about 350 new, which is only 20 more than rrp

Soldato
Although very much looking at those moza ones now :) April delivery too
I'd take that with a pinch of salt. Their estimates are reliant on Chinese shipping.
My Alpha Mini for example was 2 weeks later than expected due to a delayed sea shipment.

However, it's worth waiting for. I'd say go for it :)

Soldato
If you look closer you'll find Moza stuff in the UK dunno if I can say where as it's a competitor.
The site I linked is a UK store.
I figured it's ok to link, since it only sells DD wheels and OCUK don't.

Not sure who else sells the R9/GS in the UK. GT Omega have the R16.

Last edited:
Soldato
The site I linked is a UK store.
I figured it's ok to link, since it only sells DD wheels and OCUK don't.

Not sure who else sells the R9/GS in the UK. GT Omega have the R16.

Ah I thought for some reason Abruzzi was in Europe. Yeah I was looking at GT omega, was interested in the Moza pedals. Any thoughts on these?

Soldato
On that note I've just ordered them, will see how they perform in a couple of days.
Nice one!
What are you upgrading from?

EDIT: Just had a look back in thread. I see you're coming from V3's. Nice setup btw :)
I hope these are a significant upgrade. Look forward to seeing what you think.

As for me, I'm currently running a Simagic Alpha Mini + homebrew rims with DC2 pedals.
Hilariously, I'm rocking them on my old wheelstand pro :cry: (which is doing surprisingly well!), although I have a Sim Lab GT1 Evo in boxes while I sort out some proper sim rig/mancave space.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I was using heusinkveld sprint pedals but unfortunately even with shoes on I hated them! they just wasn't comfortable at all. SIM rig has changed a little now running Simucube 2 sport, Ascher wireless rim. Still need new rig as mines getting old but that'll have to wait.

Soldato
Not sure what to do

Bit nervous about fanatec, after reading on their forums, their customer service seems a bit unresponsive and it can take a long time for rmas.

Therefore thinking to go thrustmaster and get a ts-xw for now with a sf 1000 and loadcell pedals, then when thrustmaster bring out their direct drive get that. And can get most of it from amazon which have obviously great return policy.

My biggest issue with Fanatec is longevity. I've had my set up 3 years and I'm on my 3rd loadcell in my V3's. I use my rig a lot but I'd still expect it to last longer than that. But FWIW, their support/RMA has been brilliant in my opinion. The first time, the pedals were only a few months old so they wanted the whole lot back. From me first contacting them to getting the pedals back was under 2 weeks (13 days IIRC). Which considering that covers shipping to Germany (which they covered) and back, I didn't think was too bad. This was pre-pandemic so maybe things have changed recently. The second time, during the pandemic, they asked if I was ok to change the load cell myself. I said I was and got the replacement loadcell within a week.

I'd be interested in your thoughts if you go the Moza route though.

Soldato
A quick question
Does anyone know how the Fanatec pre-order system works?

I ordered a DD CSL 8Nm and McLaren GT3 wheel on 3rd March with a shipping date of 27th April on just the wheel base.
On the Fanatec website now, both are showing available from end of May - is this for new orders placed now, or has my shipping date moved as well?

Soldato
Right guys, my son has sold some of his other gear and now wants to get a steering wheel back in his life. He wants a Logitech G29 for PS4/PC and wants to get a decent mount this time with a seat integrated.

Budget for the whole thing including wheel is going to be around £500. Suggestions? Space is not a problem. The more solid the better. He's 12 and small for his age. Easy/quick adjustment is a bonus so I can play too sometimes. We had a basic mount before (no seat) which was solid, but it got annoying having the central column part in the way of your feet so I like the look of the ones that have the whole foot area clear if you get me.

Back
Top Bottom