Sim racers - what are you running?

Soldato
There’s been speculation / rumours of a Clubsport DD with a something in the teens Nm since the CSL DD released. So good to see it happening. I guess with the release, they learned from their mistake of announcing the QR2 which then got delayed for a couple of years. As this, and the CSL DD got announced out the blue.

Dammit if this isn’t tempting though. I have a CSL elite and have been eyeing up a CSL DD but resisted as it’s not much of an upgrade. But this should be!

Personally speaking too, it’s great to see them keeping PS support. A feature almost all other manufacturers are lacking. PC is great for “proper” sims and VR but so is sticking GT7 on and having a private race with a bunch of friends.

Soldato
Before I got my profile rig I used to use a wheel stand pushed half under the desk to help with the limited space. I had it on wheels so I could easily move it out the way…

Photo of it here for an idea

How did you stop your chair from rolling backwards under braking?

Associate
Fanatec Clubsport DD is what I've been waiting for. Unfortunately neither of my existing wheels (Porsche 918 and BMW GT) are compatible with the wheelside QR2 :( I could downgrade the base side, not available to order yet, but this would seem like a retrograde step. Maybe time to look at other players in the market?

Soldato
That’s a bummer, I kinda had assumed my wheels could be transferred to the QR2 as they’ve all got QR1’s fitted but none are compatible :(

That’s going to take some thought then as it makes what was a €1k upgrade more like a €2k.

Looking at the back of my M3 GT2 v1 wheel, it looks like the QR1 is screwed on from the inside. As the QR1 and QR2 are interchangeable on other wheels the overall size, bolt patterns etc. must be the same. So I wonder if it’s not supported as it would require the disassembly of the whole wheel to change.

Soldato
Update on the above, nope looks like the mounting of the pins is different between the old style QR1 and the more recent QR1's that can be upgraded.

I was hopeful after doing as little disassembly of my BMW wheel and looking at sites like https://fanatec.redfirecracker.co.uk/bmw-wheel/ . As the QR1 can be disassembled and the pins removed from the QR but looking at 35:20 in Boosted media's video https://youtu.be/PWvPYtYVhKs?si=X_5_P00sDpRMy3et&t=2120 the pins are mounted to a shaft attached to the wheel base and not to the QR itself.

Soldato
My journey down the rabbit hole:
Logitech G920, Logitech x56 HOTAS, GT Omega Wheel stands Ikea chair and some bodge.
0jXHmeKh.jpg

Same gear but GT Omega wheel stand frame add on and seat, and some different bodge
8ZhinbQh.jpg

New gear, FAnatec CSL-DD, CS V2 pedals and Virpil HOTAS, same bodge frame.
F1XQvS6h.jpg

New TR160 Frame and monitors
JyQifDch.jpg

Still waiting for second side mount and Folding desk bit from TR
Yes the radiator is leaking, its on the list of man jobs to relocate it away from my new little corner its isolated for now.
Need to decorate and move the pictures etc and find a way to get the cat off my repaired PC for more than 5 mins.

Soldato
@House Hell of an upgrade that! Is that the XLRS seat? hows it holding up quality-wise? I got one with my rig as a stopgap measure till I upgrade to a full bucket/side brackets. Wasnt sure on quality from the online photos but having it in person actually surprised that it feels pretty sturdy. mind you I dont have it mounted up yet.

For some reason unknown to both myself or GTomega, Parcelforce decided it would be a good idea to split my rig consignment in 2 without telling anyone. I received half of it today and went into full panic mode thinking PF had lost half of my rig. But no... Got the tracking info for the other half of the consignment this afternoon. Should have it tomorrow. A tad frustrating but its not the end of the world. Got to hand it to GTomega Customer support they really have the response times on point. 5 minutes to respond to email and all questions answered promptly. I dont think I've had that quick of service via email from ANY company before. Also I didnt realise they were a Scottish company :D

R21 arrived today as well, so excited to getting this built now.

Soldato
@steve45 yup, its been nearly 2 years and its ok in the main apart from where the cats had a claw at it, but he little ginger barstool has done that to everything in my/his house.

Only minor issue is if you have it 100% vertical the back has a tiny bit of give, but that recliners for you, if its even 1 tooth lent back its fine.

Edit: and yes GT Omega CS were excellent when I dealt with them, TR could take some lessons from them.

Last edited:
Soldato
@steve45 yup, its been nearly 2 years and its ok in the main apart from where the cats had a claw at it, but he little ginger barstool has done that to everything in my/his house.

Only minor issue is if you have it 100% vertical the back has a tiny bit of give, but that recliners for you, if its even 1 tooth lent back its fine.

Edit: and yes GT Omega CS were excellent when I dealt with them, TR could take some lessons from them.
Reassuring! I do like a bit of reclined position, I'd love to be able to recline the base of the seat a little but that'll have to wait for a proper bucket.

Soldato
can anyone recommend a pedal set under £200

i have a moza r5 base on the way in the next few days and i have the moza ES wheel

the pedals i was looking at are the moza sr-p and accessory kit that allows you to mod the break load cell with a different spring or whatever

but as far as i understand i dont have to buy moza branded pedals, are there any other budget pedal sets that are better ?

i have ruled out fanatec since i dont want to import parts

Associate
can anyone recommend a pedal set under £200

i have a moza r5 base on the way in the next few days and i have the moza ES wheel

the pedals i was looking at are the moza sr-p and accessory kit that allows you to mod the break load cell with a different spring or whatever

but as far as i understand i dont have to buy moza branded pedals, are there any other budget pedal sets that are better ?

i have ruled out fanatec since i dont want to import parts

Thrustmaster T-LCM, Loadcell Pedals are pretty good, and you can get for under £200​

Soldato
Looking at current options if you dont want to go Fanatec I think you are going to be limited to the Moza SRP with tuning kit (Absolute must), or as has been posted above the T-LCM's

I dont have any experience with the T-LCM's but I am running the SRP's.
For the price its difficult to beat, It's almost like an unashamed clone of the CSL Loadcell pedals from Fanatec. Nothing fancy but a solid functional set of pedals. Decent for the money and probably the minimum I'd recommend when it comes to a pedal set if within budget. Brake pedal even on the stiffest setup is still a bit spongey but with the long travel of the initial spring its going to be unavoidable, I'd say thats more of a personal preference thing for me though as I like a lot stiffer brake pedal. What does let the set down is the clutch pedal, completely linear and very underwhelming. Its functional though and at the price point cant really argue.

Soldato

Thrustmaster T-LCM, Loadcell Pedals are pretty good, and you can get for under £200​

Looking at current options if you dont want to go Fanatec I think you are going to be limited to the Moza SRP with tuning kit (Absolute must), or as has been posted above the T-LCM's

I dont have any experience with the T-LCM's but I am running the SRP's.
For the price its difficult to beat, It's almost like an unashamed clone of the CSL Loadcell pedals from Fanatec. Nothing fancy but a solid functional set of pedals. Decent for the money and probably the minimum I'd recommend when it comes to a pedal set if within budget. Brake pedal even on the stiffest setup is still a bit spongey but with the long travel of the initial spring its going to be unavoidable, I'd say thats more of a personal preference thing for me though as I like a lot stiffer brake pedal. What does let the set down is the clutch pedal, completely linear and very underwhelming. Its functional though and at the price point cant really argue.

thanks guys, i ordered the thrustmaster since i found a set on sale price and reviews look very positive overall.

if they dont feel right then i can always return them and get the SRP set instead.

Soldato
Started as soon as I finished work at 5, Its been a painful day being stuck in a training day knowing this was waiting for me. Its up and running, only took 4 hours and a can of monster to build. Needs some serious cable management, its a mess at the moment but I'm going to wait a week at least until I finish adjusting/moving stuff before I start going firm on cable management.
What a difference though, I forgot how good a proper rig felt for driving. I can see me playing about with the layout a bit. Everything was approximated when building, its at a reasonably comfortable position as it is, but I feel I can better optimise the driving position. pedals need bringing a smidge closer and shifter and handbrake are a bit out of the way, need to bring them up closer to wheel.

I'm done for the night! Very happy for the meantime though. I'm blown away by the quality and ease of build.
T0HLRk2l.jpg

HpIX73Ll.jpg

sJ838Ull.jpg

Soldato
Had a really bad experience from Logitech direct, ordered a Pro racing wheel and pedals last week, money has been pending for week. Website said shipping 1-2 days, however when you delve into their FAQ that 1-2 days only kicked in once it's dispatched which can be 4-10 days. Anyway pending amount dropped off my account today so in total limbo, their chat is useless and no help at all, can't even cacel the order. Bank are saying as it's dropped off my pending amount they shouldn't be able to take the funds again, nightmare. Really considering a fanatec DD Pro now, but I'm hearing they have massive shipment delays at the moment as they've moved warehouse. Anyone had any dealings with them in the last month? Gutted as I was hoping to use it this week!

Associate
... Really considering a fanatec DD Pro now, but I'm hearing they have massive shipment delays at the moment as they've moved warehouse. Anyone had any dealings with them in the last month? Gutted as I was hoping to use it this week!
Some of the posts on the Fanatec Reddit page (r/Fanatec) give an indication of the shipping delays, but as of a couple of days ago it didn't sound like they had been resolved yet.

Back
Top Bottom