Sim racers - what are you running?

Associate
Hello guys, new but older guy here who has just joined despite purchasing from OCUK for the last decade.

Anyways bought myself a Logitech g29 and playseat about 5 or 6 years ago and only played in PS4/5.

Long story short my playseat broke a couple of weeks ago and 2 oldest daughter and son bought me a trak racer TR160 3 weeks ago and today I just found out my son purchased the R5 moza bundle from OCUK on Monday which has been shipped today.

I have a couple of questions. Firstly reading reviews in the R5 and apparently it is way too weak for a direct drive wheel although being a casual racer on console ( maybe 1 or 2 hours a day at most stretching longer in weekends ) and moving to pc I'm wondering if he made a bad choice??

Secondly I've been given his old pc which runs a ryzen 3600?, 16gb ram and an rx580. Would this be reasonable to run iracing in a 1440p ultrawide screen monitor??

Any advice, input etc is greatly appreciated and TIA

Soldato
Sadly I can't help with the above. My current rig has a Simagic Alpha Mini.

I had time to swap out the HE Sprints for the Simagic P2000. Design is very different and the metal base they come with mounts directly to the Simlabs Evo pedal base. The Base had to be moved back and tilted down quite a bit to cater for the very different design of pedal.

Only did a few laps of the 'Ring in PC2 and a couple of hotstint laps on ACC in a 720s. Clutch as has been mentioned by others isn't fantastic. I don't like the way the link drops into a recess to simulate engagement. It can also clank like hell on the return. I fitted the hardest spring and calibrated as such that engagement occurs before the link enters the recess. I'm going to put some hard foam where the link returns when the pedal isn't depressed to reduce the rebound clank. The throttle pedal feels more realistic than the HE and the pressure required can be changed. The throw is shorter on the throttle than the HE which I'm not a huge fan of but muscle memory seemed to adjust fairly quickly. The biggest difference as you can imagine is in the brake pedal. Braking feels much more natural and progressive. I think I was braking a little later than with the HE without fear of missing the corner. I haven't really been able to trail brake with the HEs but I think with a little practice I could learn to trail with the P2000s.

I've hooked the pedals directly to the drive motor but I'm not sure if this is the best method as when linked this way, you lose some of the adjustment in the Simagic software that you would have if linked directly to the PC - particularly the way the pressure is applied to the pedal - whether you want it linear or wavey depending on driving style. Personally, I've only ever kept pedals linear but it's worth noting. I'll ask for opinions in the FB group.

So far, I can't see me going back to the HE Sprints. Neither clutch pedal is particularly great with P2000 being a bit worse. The throttle pedal throw is longer with the HE but the P2000 feels better. The P2000 brake feels better than the HE.

Something I've noticed with the Simagic software. I have to make sure the PC is fully loaded into Windows before turning on the motor or it won't connect. I did notice the software didn't connect to the pedals straight away either. I'll test this out to see whether it's a consistent issue and report back.

Associate
Hello guys, new but older guy here who has just joined despite purchasing from OCUK for the last decade.

Anyways bought myself a Logitech g29 and playseat about 5 or 6 years ago and only played in PS4/5.

Long story short my playseat broke a couple of weeks ago and 2 oldest daughter and son bought me a trak racer TR160 3 weeks ago and today I just found out my son purchased the R5 moza bundle from OCUK on Monday which has been shipped today.

I have a couple of questions. Firstly reading reviews in the R5 and apparently it is way too weak for a direct drive wheel although being a casual racer on console ( maybe 1 or 2 hours a day at most stretching longer in weekends ) and moving to pc I'm wondering if he made a bad choice??

Secondly I've been given his old pc which runs a ryzen 3600?, 16gb ram and an rx580. Would this be reasonable to run iracing in a 1440p ultrawide screen monitor??

Any advice, input etc is greatly appreciated and TIA

The R5 is definitely not a bad choice, no, and coming from a G29 the difference will be night and day. I strongly recommend however that you get the brake pedal performance mod: https://mozaracing.com/product/sr-p-lite-performance-kit

Associate
The R5 is definitely not a bad choice, no, and coming from a G29 the difference will be night and day. I strongly recommend however that you get the brake pedal performance mod: https://mozaracing.com/product/sr-p-lite-performance-kit
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I have that brake kit along with the formula wheel mod being delivered today.

Wheel arrived yesterday and only managed a couple of hours on it but holy what a difference their is from the Logitech. Still haven't figured out how to use the thing properly yet so will experiment over the weekend.

Soon as the sr-p pedals are in stock I shall be ordering a set as I believe they are loadcell and seem reasonable at 150gbp or there abouts.

Man of Honour
Well I sold my rig in September, had had enough of sim racing and trying to force it on iRacing. Needed to learn when to leave it for the night instead of pushing through in a bad mood...

My new rig arrives next week. My Invicta bundle ships early next week which has been holding it all up, Asetek taking their time. Cannot wait to get back in to it. Looking forward to getting back in to iRacing and approaching it differently so it's more enjoyable and less worried about iRating and SR. I give it 2 weeks...:D

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I have that brake kit along with the formula wheel mod being delivered today.

Wheel arrived yesterday and only managed a couple of hours on it but holy what a difference their is from the Logitech. Still haven't figured out how to use the thing properly yet so will experiment over the weekend.

Soon as the sr-p pedals are in stock I shall be ordering a set as I believe they are loadcell and seem reasonable at 150gbp or there abouts.

Congrats then Sir, you pretty much have the exact same setup as mine then. I'm also thinking about the SR-P pedals for the load cell brake pedal. Never had one but I keep hearing that it makes so much difference that I'm really tempted to give it a try :D

Associate
I've been recording replays since starting iRacing with a view to creating a YT channel. Had a race today that pushed me over the edge to upload some content.

I can't express how dirty the front two drivers were. Just horrible driving every lap.

I had a great start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wngt-_C5fXI

Not sure I was at fault here? Really pleased to hold the slide and recover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4i817nhEOE

My SR has nose dived this week at Monza. It's a crazy crashfest....however my iRating is going in the opposite direction. I'm getting close to 2k!

Man of Honour
I've been recording replays since starting iRacing with a view to creating a YT channel. Had a race today that pushed me over the edge to upload some content.

I can't express how dirty the front two drivers were. Just horrible driving every lap.

I had a great start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wngt-_C5fXI

Not sure I was at fault here? Really pleased to hold the slide and recover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4i817nhEOE

My SR has nose dived this week at Monza. It's a crazy crashfest....however my iRating is going in the opposite direction. I'm getting close to 2k!

Subscribed mate. Looking forward to seeing more content

1:18 in on the perfect start video, poor guy gets properly side swiped :D what was he doing

Associate
Ha, cheers. BUY MY MERCH >.<

I think the guy in 2nd was so focused on drafting 1st as they moved right he didn't consider any other cars. That's a very mild crash for Monza to be fair. It's been a wreckfest all week.

Associate

I was protested for this! Without context yes it looks bad. I've been on iRacing for 13 years. This is the 1st time I have been protested. The other driver....it was their 8th ever race.

Violation type: 2.1.1 - Article 134 - Competition Issue

Description:
overtaking on the grass due to the frustration of not being able to overtake with the consequence of destroying our race

Hi,

I'm writing to inform you of the outcome of the protest filed against you.

After reviewing all of the available information we do find the accusations of passing off the racing surface and then recklessly returning to the track contacting another are accurate. We respectfully ask going forward that you do not try to force your way back onto the racing surface into others or intentionally wreck another driver while on the service, under any circumstance. Our goal is to simply try and avoid this situation in the future. Your understanding in this matter is greatly appreciated.

For future reference, the protest has been assigned the following identification numbers:

Ticket: 889725
Session: 60589911
Sporting Code Section: 2.1.1 - Article 134 - Competition Issue

I apologize for the formality of this notice, but experience has shown an orderly process like this is the best way to resolve the issues that occasionally arise in the heat of competition.

On behalf of iRacing, best of luck in your future races!

Associate
In the context of the whole race i'm more than happy with the outcome. Over 13 years it was easily the dirtiest race i've been in. Over the previous 23 mins I and several others had avoided crashes.

Associate
Hello.

Quick question. I received the moza r5 bundle couple of weeks back from OCUK. They come with the sr-p lite pedals and was considering buy the sr-p with loadcell.

Being a member of the moza discord I asked the question and was advised that it's not worth upgrading to the load cell pedals which kinda goes away from literally every single website ove read.

Are the sr-p pedals with loadcell that bad that I won't be able to tell the dif between them, moreso when I've read that a loadcell is the best single upgrade you can get.

Associate
I don't use their kit, but this video might help. It only came out today.

Thanks for the reply.

Your reply has made me doubt a hell of a lot about SIM racing setups etc. Not what u said directly but more after hours upon hours of reading and research etc I came to the conclusion that load cell pedals were the holy grail as such and offered more precise control over the breaking ( the crp pedals with break kit I always go overshooting at corners and this is not a problem I had of noticeable impact with the g29 pedals with mods.

Being honest is their any point paying a grand for top end pedals of they don't really help anyone improve at all??

Back
Top Bottom