* Simple Root Guide for Galaxy S3 *

Caporegime
Is it worth flashing to the siyah kernal??...not really sure as to what that does, flashing to the siyah kernal. If anyone can tell me, im rooted btw so if i want to flash to the siyah kernal then i just use CWM app and use the flash update utility in the CWM app??

Soldato
Bit of advice needed.. Not gonna lie, I am a bit of a newbie with android, infact the S3 is my first Android phone.

Just wanted to know, is it really worth rooting the phone? I know exactly what it does etc, there's just something in the back of my mind telling me not to do it in case of mucking up the phone. Of course if you follow the guide properly there will be no problems, but is it really worth it?

Sorry :rolleyes:

Honestly, I'd say wait a few weeks, get used to android, then root it. Once you become more experienced and want to start doing fancy things then go for it.

Soldato
OP
Anyone on here from Bristol want to root my phone?

I am **** scared of doing it myself. LOL

:p You can't go wrong from the instructions I posted. But I agree with Grrrrr above, use the phone for a few days/weeks first and get use to Android. If you later feel that you are restricted then by all means root it.

The main reasons I rooted:
1) Can use PS3 pad wirelessly
2) GL to SD app allows me to move game data to external memory card
3) Titanium Backup allows me to back up my apps

Caporegime
The ROMs that you can find on XDA, like the themes etc.. does your S3 need to be rooted for those?

Yep more or less. Seriously rooting is so easy given the steps above...was a piece of cake as long as you follow the instructions step by step.

If your not planning to install custom roms, themes and other mod hacks to the SGS3 then theres really no point in rooting as far as i can see. Rooting will void your warranty but with the SGS3, its simple enough to get it back to stock so that you can send it away for a warranty repair without them knowing you have rooted your phone. Ive done it a few times ie rooted then un-rooted my SGS3 to see if it does work and it does.

Associate
Yep more or less. Seriously rooting is so easy given the steps above...was a piece of cake as long as you follow the instructions step by step.

If your not planning to install custom roms, themes and other mod hacks to the SGS3 then theres really no point in rooting as far as i can see. Rooting will void your warranty but with the SGS3, its simple enough to get it back to stock so that you can send it away for a warranty repair without them knowing you have rooted your phone. Ive done it a few times ie rooted then un-rooted my SGS3 to see if it does work and it does.

That's the reasons I want to do it, custom roms themes etc.. definitely going to wait a few days though.

Associate
Have only just properly read through the whole of the guide.. must say it does look rather simple :D

Will probably give it a go later when my Sure Signal has arrived :)

Soldato
just tried this, pressed START on the odin program and absolutly nothing happened :/

any ideas? unplugged phone and everything is fine, gone through all the steps again and definitely did them all correct :/

DONE IT! :D

Last edited:
Associate
I'm getting this when I attempt to open up Odin.. I click ok, nothing happens though, any ideas?

odin.png

Associate
Go on, what was it? Or you too embarressed to say? :p

EDIT: Reminder to those wanting to root, PLEASE READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I downloaded a different extractor software, and extracted it straight to the desktop, seemed to work.

All done now :D Cheers Adz

Back
Top Bottom