* Simple Root Guide for Galaxy S3 *

Caporegime
Well, i bit the bullet and did it. Well easy. :p

Wasnt going to for a while but i really wanted sixaxis support via bluetooth and thought it was natively supported in ICS. It is i think, but for some reason the phone wouldnt pair over bluetooth and kept asking me for a pin : /. Doing some reading and i believe it is something to do with Samsungs bluetooth stacks? ( i dont even know what that means :p)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Since rooting, ive noticed in some of my menus i have some sort of grading going on with regards to the colour ie if its a black background it shows up dark at the top of the screen but as you go down the screen, the black starts to fade into a lighter colour.

Ive noticed it in the settings screen of whatsapp, CWM and SU apps.

Anyone else notice this or is it just my screen??. I installed chainfire 3d but have since uninstalled it as i cant seem to get pinball hd working...

Also another issue ive noticed is that in my apps on the play store, i no longer have the my apps installed screen bit. Is this meant to happen after rooting??

Ive rebooted my phone a few times but none of these issues have been resolved...im not running any custom roms. How hard is it to un-root the phone?? as i need to see if my screen is messed, if so then ill need to take it back for a replacement or a fix.

Soldato
Ive noticed it in the settings screen of whatsapp, CWM and SU apps.

Colour banding. But not in the bad way. It's the quality of the image they are using for the background in said apps. Btw unless you installed a custom ROM, rooting would have no effect on such things anyway.

Caporegime
That doesnt sound right at all.

Nope it doesnt, dunno how that happened but if anyone knows how to fix that id be most thankful.

Colour banding. But not in the bad way. It's the quality of the image they are using for the background in said apps. Btw unless you installed a custom ROM, rooting would have no effect on such things anyway.

Oh ok well i guess i can rule out the rooting for that issue....like i said it just seems to happen on those apps screens...the settings screen of the phone is black but i see no banding etc.

Thanks Tobes, was beginning to wonder if my screen was knackered:p

Soldato
Oh ok well i guess i can rule out the rooting for that issue....like i said it just seems to happen on those apps screens...the settings screen of the phone is black but i see no banding etc.

Thanks Tobes, was beginning to wonder if my screen was knackered:p

Yeah I checked out those apps and mine was the same. In fact I think I saw it when logging into my Google account when I got the phone. It does look really crappy when you see it.

As for the My Apps bit. I have always just hit menu and gone to my apps from there from within the store.

Caporegime
Yeah I checked out those apps and mine was the same. In fact I think I saw it when logging into my Google account when I got the phone. It does look really crappy when you see it.

As for the My Apps bit. I have always just hit menu and gone to my apps from there from within the store.

Yep i do the same within the play store, hot menu then my apps but the screen thats meant to show all your installed apps, well on mine its blank ie empty.

I dont know if it has anything to do with chainfire 3D as on there, there was a market fix which i pressed but i cant remember for the life of me if that installed screen was blank before i pressed the market fix button or not.

Also ive noticed that since uninstalling chainfire pro 3D, its now asking me to pay again:confused:...ive also noticed this on my lightflow app as well. Both apps were paid for but since uninstalling them, if i want to re-install them, i have to pay again...is this a 'root' issue??

Im in the process of unrooting my phone at the moment to see if any of these issues im having are rectified ie the play store not showing my installed apps and the issue of me already having paid for both lightflow and chainfire 3D pro, its now asking me to pay again.

Soldato
Have you tried clearing market data?

EDIT\ And with regards banding, I have the same on my Galaxy Note, it's an software issue on OLED screens. Go to display settings, i forget what it's called but you can choose between standard, dynamic and movie. Changing that won't fix it but it can help. And it's definitely not caused by rooting.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Settings > Apps > Play Store > Clear data

(something like that, i dont have an S3 to say precisely)

EDIT\\ and give it 10mins or so afterwards. Can sometimes take a little while for it to update

Cheers ill give that a go, hopefully that will fix the issue im having.

EDIT: having followed the instructions, yippeeee looks like thats sorted out the installed apps screen being blank and also my paid apps are showing up as paid:p:D. All issues rectified lol.

Thanks all :)

Associate
Will future factory resets that are done on my phone put it back into a non rooted state?

Seems like a possibly stupid question but I want ask to be sure >.<

Soldato
No

The best way back to non rooted is usually by flashing a stock firmware with PC Odin. There may be alternatives though. OTA updates will usually lose root as well

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Will future factory resets that are done on my phone put it back into a non rooted state?

Seems like a possibly stupid question but I want ask to be sure >.<

As Grrrr said above really.

I had a rooted Galaxy Note which I wanted to restore back to default. To remove the root I tried to flash a stock rom via PC Odin, but it didn't work for some reason. I then tried again but via Mobile Odin, and I unticked 'ever root' and that worked. It flashed the older rom and unrooted the phone.

BTW Art, you got an S3?

Associate
Yea, got it yesterday. The two phones I bought before this were a Samsung P400 and then a Nokia 1800 =/. After that, i got a hand-me-down Nokia 5800, so it's a hell of an upgrade :)

About the rooting question, it was more to make sure that it would stay rooted. I'm going to try out loads of different programs to see what I like (home screens, video players, etc) before resetting to factory settings and going with what I want.

Soldato
OP
Yea, got it yesterday. The two phones I bought before this were a Samsung P400 and then a Nokia 1800 =/. After that, i got a hand-me-down Nokia 5800, so it's a hell of an upgrade :)

About the rooting question, it was more to make sure that it would stay rooted. I'm going to try out loads of different programs to see what I like (home screens, video players, etc) before resetting to factory settings and going with what I want.

Are you still on the same number (ends in 153)? Get whatsapp for unlimited free messaging and I'll give you a few pointers for useful apps and games etc. It's worth rooting definitely though, simply for playing games wirelessly with the PS3 pad. :D

Associate
That Sim is still in my old phone. I sent you a msg to your (old?) number using whatsapp. I'll msg you via trust so as not to annoy everyone, so check it :p

Associate
Bit of advice needed.. Not gonna lie, I am a bit of a newbie with android, infact the S3 is my first Android phone.

Just wanted to know, is it really worth rooting the phone? I know exactly what it does etc, there's just something in the back of my mind telling me not to do it in case of mucking up the phone. Ofcourse if you follow the guide properly there will be no problems, but is it really worth it?

Sorry :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom