Poll: Singapore Grand Prix 2017, Singapore - Race 14/20

Rate the 2017 Singapore Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Why does he need to jump out of the way? Vettel takes at least 3s to come across the track from his start line, that's almost pedestrian! If Max was aware of Kimi's position (and he's alongside even to the point that he's beyond him by the time contact is made so the "couldn't see him due to spray" doesn't wash) he wouldn't have ended up making a panicked maneuver that put him into Kimi side. It's a schoolboy error to cause a collision, when you might have otherwise have been in a collision, assuming Vettel just blindly and out of control drove into Max if Max hadn't drifted left.

Were we watching different races? Vettel was miles away from Kimi when Max spun him round, Kimi has almost gone a full 90degree turn before he hits Vettel.

giphy.gif

You're quite way off in your race analysis. Why are you indicating it took Vettel almost 3 seconds to cross the track using a slomo video for reference?

The incident was quite simple.

Max can see Kimi
Vettel can't see Kimi
Max see's Vettel moving over
Max steers left, probably knowing full well what's about to happen.
Kimis rear wheel hitting Max's front is the actual catalyst for the crash
Vettel isn't "miles away" from Kimi, because Kimi hits him with some degree of force to cause that kind of sidepod damage
Kimi "could" have also moved left to avoid the incident completely. It wasn't out of his scope to do so.

Man of Honour
Any on board video for Hamilton..he must have lit that start up.

Just watched it having been posted on the F1 FB page. Wow, it really is easy to forget the start Alonso and Hamilton had. Hamilton would have gained a good few places even without the shunt. It is actually quite weird watching everyone fall off the track in front of Hamilton.

Hamilton takes such different lines to everyone else, both into the first corner and out of it.

Soldato
Just watched it having been posted on the F1 FB page. Wow, it really is easy to forget the start Alonso and Hamilton had. Hamilton would have gained a good few places even without the shunt. It is actually quite weird watching everyone fall off the track in front of Hamilton.

Hamilton takes such different lines to everyone else, both into the first corner and out of it.

Hamilton is expecting all sort of chaos on the normal line in the wet, so he figures it's safer and faster to be where the other cars aren't. Even discarding the Max/Vettel likelihood of a coming together, the wet track made it likely people would pile into that corner and not be able to stop for the apex. He was lucky to get so far ahead that he didn't get collected by Max and Kimi on the exit of the first corner like Alonso did.

Caporegime
wow both alonso and ham had poor first stage of launch, but the second stage was pure power.

That's experience/skill of driving in the wet for you. I think part of the reason for Vettel's aggressiveness was that he was worried about being shown up by Verstappen in the rain.

Caporegime
wow both alonso and ham had poor first stage of launch, but the second stage was pure power.

Hamilton started in 2nd gear, presumably because the worst wheel spin and the worst part of the get away was expected to be when the car shifted between 1st and 2nd gear. Apparently the Mclaren's and Verstappen were seen doing this in China though I haven't seen vid to confirm it or anything but no reason to disbelieve it.

So Ham seemingly sacrificed the straight off the line performance for a better overall run to the corner. Ham like others were on the racing line at the start with lots of slippery rubber in the rain. Guys off the green side of the track almost all got better starts overall. So I think if you consider left vs right side of the grid, Hamilton had a better start than almost everyone while on the other side of the grid most drivers seemed to have a great getaway compared to the guy 1 place ahead of them.

Man of Honour

It's a cool insight into both the minds of Ham and Vet. Ham takes the conservative line and Vet takes the aggressive line. Had Vet been conservative he'd be leading the championship now most likely.

Caporegime
It's a cool insight into both the minds of Ham and Vet. Ham takes the conservative line and Vet takes the aggressive line. Had Vet been conservative he'd be leading the championship now most likely.

I'm not sure Ham really took a conservative line. He got a better start than Ricci and so he went outside to overtake. This put him into safety but I think it was a straightforward response to Ricci's start rather than a strategic play.

Caporegime
Hamilton started in 2nd gear, presumably because the worst wheel spin and the worst part of the get away was expected to be when the car shifted between 1st and 2nd gear. Apparently the Mclaren's and Verstappen were seen doing this in China though I haven't seen vid to confirm it or anything but no reason to disbelieve it.

So Ham seemingly sacrificed the straight off the line performance for a better overall run to the corner. Ham like others were on the racing line at the start with lots of slippery rubber in the rain. Guys off the green side of the track almost all got better starts overall. So I think if you consider left vs right side of the grid, Hamilton had a better start than almost everyone while on the other side of the grid most drivers seemed to have a great getaway compared to the guy 1 place ahead of them.

Doesn't look to me like he got a slow start at all. More like he got a good start from the very beginning. Only Kimi, and maybe Alonso, got going faster.

Man of Honour
Doesn't look to me like he got a slow start at all. More like he got a good start from the very beginning. Only Kimi, and maybe Alonso, got going faster.
on the oboards you can clearly see the people around him getting a better launch and then he just overtakes everyone[/MEDIA][/QUOTE]

Soldato

Don't post this. Jokester will say it took Vettel a good 12 seconds to move across the track, which is pedestrian.....

Crazy to think that accident happened at near on 120mph

Soldato
Well I've decided it was Kimis fault, he just came blasting up the inside and drove into Max. You can clearly see this from the full speed of Max on board . He's driving along trying not to hit Seb and then Kimi drives into him on the left.

Back
Top Bottom