Sking/Snowboarding 09/10

Associate
I'm off to whistler 22nd Jan for 10 days. Really looking forward to it, I've never been anywhere other than France/Italy/Austria snowboarding. Also should be in fantastic condition as the winter olympics are there begininning of Feb. Then going to Morzine in france for 7days in March, the beauty of knowing someone with a chalet :D

Associate
I really want to head out to Whistler sometime but are you not looking at the fat end of £1750 for a 10 day trip? Anything I tried to price up would come in at around that after you include food and bevs. Am I missing something or are you all just loaded :p?

Caporegime
I'm off to whistler 22nd Jan for 10 days. Really looking forward to it, I've never been anywhere other than France/Italy/Austria snowboarding. Also should be in fantastic condition as the winter olympics are there begininning of Feb. Then going to Morzine in france for 7days in March, the beauty of knowing someone with a chalet :D

so jealous, I went to Whistler a few years back. It was insanely expensive but it really is worth it. The village itself is really nice, definitely the best apres ski I've had.

Associate
OP
CIMG3681.JPG

CIMG3679.JPG

:cool:

Caporegime
Unfortunately not this year as it clashed with the MPH Show :(

It's a hell of a weekend though if you haven't been before (and if you have, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about!)

Well, except the stupid awards meal on the Saturday night but that's another story.

God all I remember of that weekend a couple of years ago was being cold the entire time, and sleeping on the floor in all my clothes as they "ran out" of beds and there was no heating or spare duvet...:(

I really want to go for at least a week this season as I didn't go last due to uni (third year). This year I have all the time in the world, except money is short, all my friends that would want to go are still at uni (so that leaves Christmas as the only option) and my sister still has a ******** knee from the year before last so can't go either. I may have to just decide to go on my own...:eek:

Associate
I really want to head out to Whistler sometime but are you not looking at the fat end of £1750 for a 10 day trip? Anything I tried to price up would come in at around that after you include food and bevs. Am I missing something or are you all just loaded :p?

Well I still live at home with the rents so I have to spend my hard earned money on somthing..

Virgin holidays we are with. Mum negotiated a reduction. Staying in the blackcomb lodge, 10days, £800 odd (Can't remember the exact). Then lift pass is £409 for 10days.

So it is expensive compared to 6 days in France, but when you work out per day, there is not a great deal in it. Like last year we paid £750 odd with equity for 6 days in La Plagne.

£750/6days = £120 odd a day
£1200/10days = £120 odd a day

Its more the fact that you go for a longer period to Canada/USA so the prices start to look crazy.

Associate
Well I still live at home with the rents so I have to spend my hard earned money on somthing..

Virgin holidays we are with. Mum negotiated a reduction. Staying in the blackcomb lodge, 10days, £800 odd (Can't remember the exact). Then lift pass is £409 for 10days.

So it is expensive compared to 6 days in France, but when you work out per day, there is not a great deal in it. Like last year we paid £750 odd with equity for 6 days in La Plagne.

£750/6days = £120 odd a day
£1200/10days = £120 odd a day

Its more the fact that you go for a longer period to Canada/USA so the prices start to look crazy.

Does your accomodation include food as that's always a killer in resorts (though I guess perhaps not such a rip in dollars compared to the euro)? Inc lift pass I'm going to be shelling out about 750 this year but that at least covers breakfast and 4 course dinner with wine for 5 of the nights - if that wasn't included I'd probably need to be adding £300 odd to the budget.

Damn rent - maybe I should live in a tent for a couple of months next summer then I'd save £1500 for a Whistler trip!

Associate
OP
Mountain set to open Saturday, base at 1m already, crazy snowfall. Checkout the forecast for Sunday & Monday:

Extended forecast for Whistler - Blackcomb.
Saturday.. Cloudy with sunny periods. 60 percent chance of flurries.
Freezing level valley bottom.
Sunday.. Snow. Snowfall accumulation 30 to 50 cm.
Freezing level 1600 metres.
Monday.. Snow. Snowfall accumulation 30 to 50 cm.
Freezing level 1250 metres. ♠

I'm glad I invested in a powder board....

Associate
Does your accomodation include food as that's always a killer in resorts (though I guess perhaps not such a rip in dollars compared to the euro)? Inc lift pass I'm going to be shelling out about 750 this year but that at least covers breakfast and 4 course dinner with wine for 5 of the nights - if that wasn't included I'd probably need to be adding £300 odd to the budget.

Damn rent - maybe I should live in a tent for a couple of months next summer then I'd save £1500 for a Whistler trip!

It dosent include food, the bloackcomb lodge is self contained appartments with kitchens e.t.c. So either cook ourselves or go grab a pizza or somthing, I have heard it is cheap to eat out in Canada, or at least compared to europe. Seem to remember spag bol costing like £16 in La Plagne last year due to the £1 to €1 rate.

Associate
Mountain set to open Saturday, base at 1m already, crazy snowfall. Checkout the forecast for Sunday & Monday:

Extended forecast for Whistler - Blackcomb.
Saturday.. Cloudy with sunny periods. 60 percent chance of flurries.
Freezing level valley bottom.
Sunday.. Snow. Snowfall accumulation 30 to 50 cm.
Freezing level 1600 metres.
Monday.. Snow. Snowfall accumulation 30 to 50 cm.
Freezing level 1250 metres. ♠

I'm glad I invested in a powder board....

Stu are you in whistler now? I was wondering what the price of the Burton Custom V Rocker is in the village. I don't know whether to buy a new board in the UK pre trip or buy over there.

Associate
OP
Sure am - custom V rocker goes for $689 + tax at showcase! (ouch) If you can sweet talk any WB employee though they can get you 20% off that price.

Associate
OP
Yeah sat at work itching to get out, opening day up there - should be hitting the lift line in an hour or so!

Tax is 12% in BC.

Don't pay the RRP though, at least get a seasons pass holder (pretty much anyone local) to get you 10% off!

Associate
Cheers fella.

So $771 CAD, £438. Saves me some money.

I dont suppose you'd be a season pass holder by any chance!??

I could save quite a bit here thinking about it. Becuase my shopping list is

Burton Custom V Rocker 156 - £470
Burton Cartel EST bindings - £210
ThirtyTwo Lashed Fast Track boots - £185

£865, if you get bored, you could have a look how much the other little goodies cost in CAD :D Whats a WB employee btw?

Associate
OP
Cheers fella.

So $771 CAD, £438. Saves me some money.

I dont suppose you'd be a season pass holder by any chance!??

I could save quite a bit here thinking about it. Becuase my shopping list is

Burton Custom V Rocker 156 - £470
Burton Cartel EST bindings - £210
ThirtyTwo Lashed Fast Track boots - £185

£865, if you get bored, you could have a look how much the other little goodies cost in CAD :D Whats a WB employee btw?

Sure am, got 2 housemates who work for the mountain too so I'm sure we could work something out when you are over!

Retail on Cartel EST's over here is $309, showcase often do combo deals too, especially on Burton gear.

Cheers S-PW, will try and grab a few eye candy shots if the clouds stay away!

Edit - rrp on boots is $299, all prices +tax

Last edited:
Associate
Sure am, got 2 housemates who work for the mountain too so I'm sure we could work something out when you are over!

Retail on Cartel EST's over here is $309, showcase often do combo deals too, especially on Burton gear.

Cheers S-PW, will try and grab a few eye candy shots if the clouds stay away!

Brill, I'll have to get in touch with you closer the time! Have a good time on the slopes, I cannot wait to get there.

Get some pics and vids up too!

Associate
OP
Great conditions up there, lots of fresh snow, groomers got tracked out real fast and it was a gong show due to it being opening day, but wow, the snow was real quality.

Couple of pics:

Checking the conditions from home, looks like a day worth getting out of bed for:
CIMG3694.JPG

Crowds at the roundhouse lodge:
CIMG3696.JPG

Really flat light day, I had the wrong lense for it and struggled a bit picking out the bumps:
CIMG3699.JPG

Trying to show the type of snow conditions, heavy powder, 7th heaven in the background:
CIMG3703.JPG

Legs feel like they don't belong to me...

Back
Top Bottom